Not-so-pro football

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ Aug 3 2011, 09:57 AM)
I've been playing football since I was 6. It's always fun, always had a blast doing it. We was champions last year, went 10-1 including playoffs and championship. The team we played in the championship was the team whom we lost to the first game.

This will be my 6th year coaching the 5th grade team in my local community. 5th grade is usually a challenge, but it's very rewarding seeing kids that couldn't be quiet for 5 minutes come together like that in a few months.

Wow, just saw these posts as I was searching for the thread to post in. smile.gif

It's time for another pre-season not-so-pro-football update.

My son, who has grown at an exponential rate, is in fact the starting offensive right tackle. He is 13 now, is about 5'8", weighs about 175, and wears a size 13 shoe.

He's doing well with pre-season practices, but I worry. The heat here is oppressive. I have him drinking water constantly (6 bottles before practice) and the coaches are doing a good job of watching the boys and giving frequent water breaks. But still...I worry.

Plus they sent home this sheet about concussions that we had to sign off on... <sigh>

I want him to have fun and be tough, but this is nervewracking in a way.

Looks like your son's gonna be a big time bruiser,

maybe kinda like a Dick Butkis type( A fearsome linebacker

for the Chicago Bears from 65-73).If he becomes

a starter, he could go along ways...possibly a pro.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 3 2011, 01:42 PM)
Wow, just saw these posts as I was searching for the thread to post in. smile.gif

My son, who has grown at an exponential rate, is in fact the starting offensive right tackle. He is 13 now, is about 5'8", weighs about 175, and wears a size 13 shoe.

He's doing well with pre-season practices, but I worry. The heat here is oppressive. I have him drinking water constantly (6 bottles before practice) and the coaches are doing a good job of watching the boys and giving frequent water breaks. But still...I worry.

Plus they sent home this sheet about concussions that we had to sign off on... <sigh>

He's 20lb heavier than me!

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 3 2011, 01:42 PM)

Damn, he's 15 pounds larger than me! He's pure lineman, right there.

Here's my big guy, posing for yearbook pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Kerry/102_0872-1-1-1.jpg

And with his mom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Kerry/102_0860crop-1.jpg

He's a great kid, the best. smile.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ Aug 19 2011, 10:17 AM)
Whoops....saw the thread title and thought this was about the Bengals.

Thanks for posting that! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

We had our first scrimmage this weekend, what a mess. Hope this season is better than it looks right now. Seems like every year I have been coaching, kids are getting harder and harder to motivate.

So, we started practice on Aug 6th... 14 days of practice (12 days of 2 hour practice and 2 days of 3 hour practice = 30 hours total.) Just getting this out there to let you know where this story is coming from.

We had a youth football scrimmage on Sat, we played 4 teams - 2 of which we will see in the regular season. We didn't play any of the "starters" against them and the was a drop off in talent about as deep as the grand canyon.

We have 5 layers of kids right now, in order of playing time:

1: The naturally talented kids that pay attention and try hard (~8 of 40)

2: Less talented kids that pay attention and try hard (~3 of 40)

3. Naturally talented kids that only try hard when there's a chance they could get the ball (~10 of 40)

4. Less talented kids that have to be reminded constantly to pay attention (~12 of 40)

5. Kids that are there because their either their parents made them or they just wanna hang with their friends. (~8 of 40)

With groups 1 and 2 above, we have a good strong team. Put in the 3s and 4s, and the drop off is incredible. We have to mix in group 5 guys when we can on certain plays where the end or tackle on one side of the ball doesn't make much of a difference.

I can understand not being as naturally talented as other kids, but the ones that try hardest are the ones that get more playing time, regardless of "natural talent". I really struggle with kids just showing up, and expecting to get the same playing time because they were at practice. This isn't soccer... you put one guy out there in the wrong position not knowing what he's doing can get himself or a teammate seriously hurt.

Our guys lost again, but there was lots of improvement this week. My personal favorite moment was hearing the announcer say: " ...and a great block by #75, Kerry J.!" The guy told me after the game that the linemen are the unsung heroes of the game, and that he likes to recognize them when he sees a guy playing great.

Totally made my day. smile.gif

I don't care if nobody reads this thread but me and LIX - I'm gonna post. tongue.gif

user posted image

That's my son - #75

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hard workin' right guard.

And...to the shock and surprise of all...

user posted image

They kicked ass! 1022.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 8 2011, 10:45 PM)
user posted image

He's also on the kickoff team? He must have some speed! Awesome to see fast linemen. Makes sense to be a guard, especially if they pull on sweeps or something.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 9 2011, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 8 2011, 10:45 PM)
user posted image

He's also on the kickoff team? He must have some speed! Awesome to see fast linemen. Makes sense to be a guard, especially if they pull on sweeps or something.

He IS on the kickoff team. His speed has improved dramatically since last year. He took the off-season conditioning more seriously.

And yes, he does pull on a bunch of plays. yes.gif

He almost recovered the other team's on-side kick last night. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 9 2011, 07:20 AM)
Oh, and our first game is tomorrow unsure.gif

Good luck, man! cheer.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 9 2011, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 9 2011, 07:20 AM)
Oh, and our first game is tomorrow  unsure.gif

Good luck, man! cheer.gif

We won! 13-12. We have a great D this year, need to work on special teams smile.gif thats the only way the other team scored.

Is Kerry's team the Panthers? That's our team name too!