5 Years

GrandDesigner

I was thinking today about A Farewell To Kings and Signals and how drenched in the 70's and 80's they both sound. And I realized they were only 5 years apart. I cannot think of any other band who's sound changed so drastically in such a short period of time. I guess when you add in Hemi, PeW, and MP the change is a little more gradual, but still. From Cygnus X-1 to New World Man in 5 years is incredible.

Metallica -1988 -And Justice For All

1991 -Black Album

Van Halen - 1981 - Fair Warning

1986 - 5150

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 2 2010, 03:42 PM)
Metallica -1988 -And Justice For All
1991 -Black Album

Actually I'd say Master of Puppets (1986) to the Black Album (1991) is even more of a jump. I can actually hear a lot of the eventual sound of TBA on AJFA

The industry has shifted in massive, massive ways since then. As important as records were, live performances and touring were a musicians' bread and butter. The 80's changed all that, with emphasis placed on record sales. That trend continued into the 90's and the 00's, and I *think* we're starting to see a turnaround thanks to the internet. Record sales will mean less and less as more and more artists use the web to make names for themselves. Touring will become the number one income stream again, followed by one-off downloads of individual songs. The days of the "album" are numbered, I think.

That's my take on it. I could be wrong.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 2 2010, 06:54 PM)
The industry has shifted in massive, massive ways since then. As important as records were, live performances and touring were a musicians' bread and butter. The 80's changed all that, with emphasis placed on record sales. That trend continued into the 90's and the 00's, and I *think* we're starting to see a turnaround thanks to the internet. Record sales will mean less and less as more and more artists use the web to make names for themselves. Touring will become the number one income stream again, followed by one-off downloads of individual songs. The days of the "album" are numbered, I think.

That's my take on it. I could be wrong.

youre not wrong, and I think what you said is already happening. People forget that from say 1972-1977 was a huge change as well with the advent of FM radio and bigger venues to play in like stadiums.

In my opinion music's Golden Age came and went although it is a great time to be a fan these days because back in the 70's most rock fans had about 50 or 60 favorite bands. Now, you can be a fan of 10's of thousands of bands from 40-50 years of rock music.

There are a ton of great bands that go through drastic changes very quickly.

I just think Rush fans are so hung up on Rush that they are often oblivious to what many other great bands are doing out there.

I always like to bring up Mars Volta, not just because Neil is a fan of them which is how I found out about them, but they are a serious prog band like Rush was in the late 70's, even far more complex than Rush ever was, and they went through a serious change with their latest album Octahedron. Its much quiter, shorter songs. Totally different feel for them, so that's a much more modern example.

First artist that came to mind was Prince--constantly changing his sound each album (just like Rush..heck, maybe even more than Rush). The first example that came to mind was Sign o' the Times (1987) to The Love Symbol Album (1992) but the same argument could be made for Parade (1986) to Diamonds & Pearls (1991). It's almost black and white (and still incredibly amazing and inspired material).

Archived