Any comic book fans in the house?

SilverSurfer

Go find Necro. laugh.gif

When I was a kid, I read DC's. I even remember being at a big flea market in '77 and some guy trying to sell me comics. At 9-years-old, I said "Do you have any DC's? These are all Marvels. I read DC's."

These days, if I did read comics, I'd probably go the other way, to the Marvels. Seems like they have more realistically fallible, complicated, and conflicted characters than DC.

Used to be huge in collecting comics back as a kid in the 80's. Pretty much had all the issues of GI Joe, Dardevil (including #1), Transformers, Thor, etc. The most expensive ones I had were Daredevil #1, Amazing Spiderman #1, GI Joe #1, Batman issue that Robin died in and a few others. Wound up selling them before going into the Marines because I didn't want to leave them at home.

Think all I have now are Catwoman #1, 17 and 18 and a couple of newer Thors. Oh, and Snarfquest book. May also have some Marvel collector's cards. I'm clearing out stuff from the house due to a pending move so am considering selling stuff. Not sure of worth though as it's been too long since I followed anything.

I started reading comics in the mid 1970's just for fun. Spider-Man, Sgt. Rock, G.I. Combat and Star Wars were my faves.

It wasn't until the collectible craze of the late 80's hit that I really got into collecting which I did for a few years and like most things with me...I just sorta got bored with them...Not to mention the market became saturated, and over inflated (kinda like the housing market).

I collected what I liked to read, a lot of the independent labels (Dark Horse), and the big two as well as some of the newer studios that emerged in the early 90's like Image which quickly lost my interest due to horrible release schedules. Todd McFarlane really hit me hard and I tried to scoop up all of his stuff.

I also picked up some real collectibles, silver age marvels and DC's. Tales of Suspense, Showcase Presents, Green Lantern, some Charleton titles, Batman, Spidey, Sea Devils...the list is long although my collection isn't huge (a few hundred). I've made a few bad trades, like trading all of my McFarlanes, my Spidey #4 (1st Sandman), # 50 (1st kingpin), and #129 (1st Punisher) for some junk SA DC's. Live and learn.

My favorite is Usagi Yojimbo (from Fantagraphics, Mirage and now Dark Horse) which although I don't follow like I used to, I still like to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo

I could go on and on, but to answer the threads question....I'm a comic fan....Somewhat.

Edited by Some Half-Forgotten Stranger

I collected Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, and other "usual suspects" as a kid. Unfortunately, my cat found them. sad.gif In the years since, I've gotten into Batman graphic novels. I still have some '60s Avengers though.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Aug 11 2010, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 10 2010, 11:14 PM)
Not really a fan, But I would love to find a copy of The Crow comic book

I happen to have the Caliber Comic issue with the very first appearance of The Crow...look around ebay you can find a copy.

Thanks, I will check that out

I was a huge reader of comic books in the 70's! Marvel was my favorite, and my favorite comics in order were...

1. Iron man

2. The Hulk

3. Spiderman

4. Batman

5. Fantastic Four

6. The Defenders (Dr. Strange, Hulk, Sub Mariner)

7. The Avengers

Now I relive the joy through the movie genre. That's why I will always be a sucker for a good Superhero movie! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2010, 06:39 AM)
I was a huge reader of comic books in the 70's! Marvel was my favorite, and my favorite comics in order were...

1. Iron man
2. The Hulk
3. Spiderman
4. Batman
5. Fantastic Four
7. The Avengers

Now I relive the joy through the movie genre. That's why I will always be a sucker for a good Superhero movie! 1022.gif

I haven't spent a lot of time buying Silver Age back issues, but Defenders #45 is one that I actively sought out. Why? Because it's dedicated to 2.gif

More info: http://marvel.wikia.com/Defenders_Vol_1_45

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 16 2010, 09:16 AM)

1. Iron man
2. The Hulk
3. Spiderman
4. Batman
5. Fantastic Four
7. The Avengers

I haven't spent a lot of time buying Silver Age back issues, but Defenders #45 is one that I actively sought out. Why? Because it's dedicated to 2.gif

Am I missing something? confused13.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 17 2010, 02:10 PM)

1. Iron man
2. The Hulk
3. Spiderman
4. Batman
5. Fantastic Four
7. The Avengers

Did you click the link? The 'trivia' section explains it all. The issue was dedicated to our favorite Canadian trio.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 18 2010, 02:58 AM)

1. Iron man
2. The Hulk
3. Spiderman
4. Batman
5. Fantastic Four
7. The Avengers

Did you click the link? The 'trivia' section explains it all. The issue was dedicated to our favorite Canadian trio.

I did click the link. I could figure out what Rush had to do with it? I'll check again.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 18 2010, 07:37 AM)

1. Iron man
2. The Hulk
3. Spiderman
4. Batman
5. Fantastic Four
7. The Avengers

I did click the link. I could figure out what Rush had to do with it? I'll check again.

As far as the story goes, not a whole lot. There were some parallels between it and 2112. But at the end (or was it the beginning? i forget.) of the issue, the writers say that the book is dedicated to the band.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 19 2010, 12:43 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 18 2010, 07:37 AM)

1. Iron man
2. The Hulk
3. Spiderman
4. Batman
5. Fantastic Four
7. The Avengers

As far as the story goes, not a whole lot. There were some parallels between it and 2112. But at the end (or was it the beginning? i forget.) of the issue, the writers say that the book is dedicated to the band.

It was "dedicated to Alex, Geddy, and Neil of Rush" on the first page. I remember quite a few 2112 lyrics that were paraphrased though.

If you dig far enough online you can find Peart commenting on The Defenders and how different they were from other superhero teams.