Knight and Day

After a two year hiatus, Tom Cruise is back. I saw this movie over the weekend and it wasn't bad. I liked Cruise in this less serious role and I wonder why he hasn't done this type of role before.

MI 4 is supposed to come out next year. As long as Tom Cruise can avoid interviews about his personal beliefs, he should be able to make a solid comeback.

All the critics seem to be trashing this movie. I wanted to see it though, but I haven't yet. I saw the trailer & it looked cool. What I've learned from the past is that a lot of critics are artsy fartsies who have sh** taste in movies and I usually like everything they don't. I also think that a lot of film reviewers are bitter ex-actors who never made it.

tongue.gif

I love Tom Cruise the actor. Tom Cruise the man is a freakazoid jackhole.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 6 2010, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 6 2010, 01:12 PM)

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I could say that same thing about a great many actors. laugh.gif

Yes. Most Hollywood types make me want to 062802puke_prv.gif .

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 6 2010, 02:12 PM)

The "freakazoid jackhole" aspect of his persona has been so well-documented and publicized that I can't watch his movies anymore without being aware of that. I don't see the character he's playing; I see Crazy Tom The Scientology Pimp playing a role.

Same with Mel Gibson. On principle, I will NOT see any of the man's movies ever again. He is the definition of "tool" and that's the first thing that crosses my mind whenever I see him. Damn shame, because I used to love his films.

Edited by Mara

Tom Cruise doesn't know how to play a character. He seems to be the very same character in all of his movies.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jul 7 2010, 11:23 PM)
Less Tom Cruise, more Mel Gibson. Edge Of Darkness kicked ass. Apocalypto ruled.

I think that right now Mel is suffering from Cruise-itis. He can't seem to keep his big mouth shut. Along with that he seems to be suffering from Bobby Brown-itis as well which is much worse.

I like Mel when he's in a movie, but like Tom Cruise his personal life is affecting his career.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 6 2010, 01:12 PM)
freakazoid jackhole

With your permission, I am going to start using that phrase. I like it....I like it A LOT! cool.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 8 2010, 10:39 AM)
Less Tom Cruise, more Mel Gibson. Edge Of Darkness kicked ass. Apocalypto ruled.

I think that right now Mel is suffering from Cruise-itis. He can't seem to keep his big mouth shut. Along with that he seems to be suffering from Bobby Brown-itis as well which is much worse.

I like Mel when he's in a movie, but like Tom Cruise his personal life is affecting his career.

His last little tirade to his ex-girlfriend pretty much sealed the deal for me. Man's got issues need addressing, big time. No more money from my bank account into Mel's. He is swine.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 8 2010, 10:11 AM)

His last little tirade to his ex-girlfriend pretty much sealed the deal for me. Man's got issues need addressing, big time. No more money from my bank account into Mel's. He is swine.

So apparently his ex-girlfriend was a slut. She hurt him and he lashed back with some really nasty remarks. That's usually what people do when they get wronged by someone they loved, spent a fortune on, and had a baby with.

So he used a racial slur. Sorry, I'm not outraged. I'm not going to empower that word by boycotting a moviemaker who uttered it. Mel's a drunk and probably an asshole. He makes a damn fine film though. Can't say the same about Cruise. That man's screen presence is obnoxious.

Perhaps Oksana is the real swine. We'll never know. The mainstream media has an agenda against Gibson.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Jul 8 2010, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 8 2010, 10:11 AM)

So apparently his ex-girlfriend was a slut. She hurt him and he lashed back with some really nasty remarks. That's usually what people do when they get wronged by someone they loved, spent a fortune on, and had a baby with.

So he used a racial slur. Sorry, I'm not outraged. I'm not going to empower that word by boycotting a moviemaker who uttered it. Mel's a drunk and probably an asshole. He makes a damn fine film though. Can't say the same about Cruise. That man's screen presence is obnoxious.

Perhaps Oksana is the real swine. We'll never know. The mainstream media has an agenda against Gibson.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion and to continue to see his movies. He makes me sick, though.

I think we can both agree he's got a bad case of verbal diarrhea.

I think Tom is a great actor.

http://ablogtoread.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/tom-cruise-as-les-grossman-in-tropic-thunder.jpg

I think his ability as an actor gets interwoven into his oddball personality and spiritual beliefs....and to me the two things are mutually exclusive. I can admire him as an actor with no regards towards him as a person or celebrity no problem. Is he weird and obnoxious? Yes. Is he a horrible actor? No.

Now...that said I think that LARGELY he's been taking some shitty films, his cameo in Tropical Thunder aside. And he was the best part of that overrated film. Make a good movie like Magnolia again...and leave Mission Impossible 9 and Joe Action Shit Kicker Hero on the curb. Tired of seeing this guy make $150 million dollar duds.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 8 2010, 09:40 AM)
I think his ability as an actor gets interwoven into his oddball personality and spiritual beliefs....and to me the two things are mutually exclusive. I can admire him as an actor with no regards towards him as a person or celebrity no problem. Is he weird and obnoxious? Yes. Is he a horrible actor? No.

Now...that said I think that LARGELY he's been taking some shitty films, his cameo in Tropical Thunder aside. And he was the best part of that overrated film. Make a good movie like Magnolia again...and leave Mission Impossible 9 and Joe Action Shit Kicker Hero on the curb. Tired of seeing this guy make $150 million dollar duds.

There is nothing overrated about Tropic Thunder. Its one of the few films that makes me laugh out loud. and gets funnier with repeat viewings.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 8 2010, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 8 2010, 09:40 AM)
I think his ability as an actor gets interwoven into his oddball personality and spiritual beliefs....and to me the two things are mutually exclusive.  I can admire him as an actor with no regards towards him as a person or celebrity no problem.  Is he weird and obnoxious?  Yes.  Is he a horrible actor?  No. 

Now...that said I think that LARGELY he's been taking some shitty films, his cameo in Tropical Thunder aside.  And he was the best part of that overrated film.  Make a good movie like Magnolia again...and leave Mission Impossible 9 and Joe Action Shit Kicker Hero on the curb.  Tired of seeing this guy make $150 million dollar duds.

There is nothing overrated about Tropic Thunder. Its one of the few films that makes me laugh out loud. and gets funnier with repeat viewings.

yes.gif

And there's nothing wrong with a good shit kicker hero action movie now and then. smile.gif

Maybe, but Cruise isn't making his best films right now I don't think. I don't enjoy them like I did him in Magnolia or Eyes Wide Shut, etc. That's partly who he works with too. Those are just my tastes, of course...and I'm just not a Mission Impossible guy.

The bigger point is that regardless of how good his film are today or not, he's a freak AND I can still enjoy him...despite perhaps not being much of a fan of the guy himself.

After all, I'm a Kiss fan...and I both loathe and admire Gene Simmons for entirely different reasons. I can handle any personality!!!! wink.gif