I Cracked...and I'm Glad I Did

bigalfan

Agree it could have been much worse. Superconductor? Kid Gloves? Yes I hate that song and proud of it. Middletown Dreams? Super 80's track right there.

We got Stick It Out and Leave That Thing Alone. Would you like Nobody's Hero instead? rofl3.gif

Glad they were left out. They could have done much worse in terms of song selection.

And for "one more S&A song complaints"...okay lets how many they dropped in place of only three songs played from the album. 6 tracks!

And in the end, they more than likely looked at the Rushpetition.com current results at the time. They played 4 tracks (Witch Hunt, Circumstances, Bangkok, Entre Nous) from the top 10 for the S&A tour and they played at least 3 songs from the top 10 this time. Presto and Marathon are already there in the top 10 right now along with requisite Camera Eye. So they did listen to the fans.

You voted, they listened.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 30 2010, 04:53 PM)
Tai Shan would be overwhelming live - much like the effect that "Mystic Rhythms" has.

Tai Shan is without a doubt in my mind the MOST UNDERRATED RUSH SONG.

It is glorious. I approached the song the same way I did Mystic Rhythms and Natural Science - first I really didn't get them in the least bit, but then I heard them live, and it's like there's a whole world in those songs now.

Tai Shan teems and wrenches with emotion, and I'm not just saying that for the sake of disagreeing with the masses.

i agree but there's not a chance they would ever play that song in concert.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:42 PM)
And why choose Show Don't Tell, something that has already been played and is available on a live recording over a song that has never been played live before? I don't get that at all.

I'd take Tai Shan over Freewill at this point.

i agree freewill should have been dropped for something fresher but there's no way tai shan would be played, and i like tai shan.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 30 2010, 10:42 AM)
Yes, Presto is a WHAT?

Don't know why so many people are having this type of reaction to Presto being played. Even if you're not crazy about the (underrated and excellent) album, the title track is one of the best songs from the album and should definitely have been played 20 years ago. Glad it's back although I wish it were being played in the second set when it's dark out. Would give it a more mystical vibe and they could have had some cool imagery for it - starry nights, constellations, winter gardens, cold, frosty, cool.

It's easily my favorite song from the 1989 to 1996 period.

Mine too... that song meant quite a lot to me emotionally back then.

Well for me the 1st set was wonderful, I 'bout fell over 3 times, TSS I knew we would get by the tour name and that was a want, and then Presto 1287.gif Thanks Boys.. yes.gif Faithless too for me trink39.gif

Then the 2nd set only change I'd make would be 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx, but you all would not like my picks... so tongue.gif tongue.gif

Freakin' 2.gif RIPS!!!

bigalfan I'm a fan of knowin' the set list, helps me ready for the 2.gif Assault. 1287.gif

Have a blast at the show trink39.gif 1287.gif 2.gif common001.gif

I refuse to complain about their setlists, but I feel like this tour is one great tune away from being incredible. The first set has some good stuff (I'm glad to get Faithless and Stick it Out), but the addition of JL, Xan, or something of the sort in that set could really put this tour over the top.

I'm still totally excited to see them though. 8/22!!!

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 30 2010, 11:42 AM)
After reading some of the negative comments about the setlist...I cracked. I figured, "Well, if it sucks that bad - I guess I need to find out and gear myself up for it." To tell the truth, I'm glad I did. It's not THAT bad! Yes, Presto is a WHAT? and Overture/Temples...AGAIN!!!??? But, it could be MUCH worse and, as an Alex fan - I get three of his best solos (Freewill, LVS, WM) in one gig...I'm diggin' that!

I've never heard Marathon live (and of the synth stuff, that's one of the better ones, imo) - looking forward to Camera Eye and glad they kept Stick it Out in! Also looking forward to Faithless live and think it falls in a great spot in the list (thank you it wasn't, Larger Bowl). SO, all-in-all - and along with the amazing set/show...I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night! I DO wish JL would've been left in the setlist. I was really looking forward to hearing, "The clouds prepare for battle..." in the open air...but, oh well...

HEY - it's  2.gif !!!

trink39.gif

goodpost.gif I totally agree with you dude.

I was excited about 'Jacob's Ladder' too. That was my biggest issue with the setlist. (because it was expected) I thought it was a sure thing when Alex said they were doing it. I'm sure the band knows that people were really looking forward to JL. I'm sure we'll see it on the next tour.

I was expecting some off-the-wall, crazy setlist when the Time Machine Tour was announced. Not so. It turned out to be pretty standard. It is what it is and from now on, I'm not going to expect anything else. No more hoping for 'The Necromancer', 'War Paint', 'The Body Electric', 'Double Agent', or whatever else my favorite song is that week.

There are 3 or 4 new songs that I thought were strange picks and should have been swapped with something else, but what else is new?

The songs like you mentioned that we've seen over and over? Same shit.

I never even looked at the setlists prior to S&A. I wish I would have never started because it never would have been an issue. I truly know why some people get so upset when someone mentions a SPOILER. It's way too stressful. laugh.gif Seriously...

Bottom line is that it's Rush live. I've never walked away from a show disappointed. I'm glad I was there and it's a great experience every time. Regardless of what they played...

Edited by Andrew1

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 10:01 PM)
Listening to Presto from the boot. It sounds magical. Glad they're playing it.

Unless you hate "Presto" as a song, you will not be disappointed live.

And do be aware that at least part of some songs have been rather creatively re-arranged. Listen to the song that's played as the crowd exits. ;-)

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (quickfree @ Jun 30 2010, 06:22 PM)
Would you like Nobody's Hero instead?  rofl3.gif

Yes. Very emotional song.

Damn fukn' right I would. A ton of shit worse than that.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 03:00 PM)
There's already about 6 live dvd versions of Freewill. It never changes.

The S&A version is awesome because Geddy finally sings the "Each of us, a cell of awareness" part in the high register again.

Compare that to the one of Different Stages and you'll see which sounds better. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jun 30 2010, 05:00 PM)
I think I even heard something about a weird extension in Marathon?

IIRC, they added an extra measure of music before Geddy sang the "You can do a lot in a lifetime" part.