Are videos Rush's Achilles heel?

madra sneachta

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Feb 5 2006, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (tepes22b @ Feb 5 2006, 08:16 AM)
Subdivisions (I like this song, but this video was wayyyyy too "I Love the 80s")

Well, it was 1982. confused13.gif

Yeah. confused13.gif

I DO Love the 80's.

Hell, I MISS the 80's. sad.gif

one word = Embarrassing ph34r.gif

For such an established band it's amazing that they haven't made great videos - it's not as if the music isn't there. unsure.gif

It's the complete opposite with other bands - great videos and sh*t music angry.gif

I'm sure it's not a money issue either....I'm sure there's a few $'s accumulated over the years!

Maybe they think it's not important - but then why bother doing them at all confused13.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 6 2006, 01:03 AM)
Yeah. confused13.gif

I DO Love the 80's.

Me too, but I think it's only because those were my formative years. I'd imagine people who grew up in other decades might find them tacky and wonder what the draw is.

QUOTE (nebbish @ Feb 6 2006, 07:15 AM)
one word = Embarrassing ph34r.gif

For such an established band it's amazing that they haven't made great videos - it's not as if the music isn't there. unsure.gif

It's the complete opposite with other bands - great videos and sh*t music angry.gif

I'm sure it's not a money issue either....I'm sure there's a few $'s accumulated over the years!

Maybe they think it's not important - but then why bother doing them at all confused13.gif

I think it was more the record label that was pushing them to make videos for thier songs. I've read somewhere (long ago) that they were not at all enthusiastic about making music videos from the beginning, but they didnt have much of a choice in the matter.

I used to sit up and wait for MTV to play Subdivisions. if you remember MTV at the time they used to do a tease at the top of the hour and list 3 videos played during the hour. Guess what? If it was a Rush video you knew you were in for a wait. So basically MTV had you because if you clicked away you might miss it. Endless hours of waiting to see Rush so I could try to tape the video and maybe learn the song from watching Alex play it ( this was before TAB transcriptions and we learned by ear).So us Rush fans were subjected to hours of bands we hated .I hated waiting to see Subdividions,Tom Sawyer, Limelight,Vital Sign I even remember they played Exit Stage Left as a Saturday night concert. When the videos played I was happy but the waiting was awful.

Then it all went horribly wrong! The pretty people started taking over MTV. Lets face it before MTV musicians weren't the best looking people on the planet but they could obtain fame for being great players.Videos went from static 3 camera shoots of the band playing in a soundstage or in concert to lavish cocaine induced mini movies.Videos that had NOTHING to do with the lyrical theme of the songs. I was on drugs during the 80's and it seemed everyone else was too. There was one exception for me at least I didn't find Michael Jackson or Madonna the least bit entertaining.

Clips of Pat Benetar playing onstage soon gave way to half hour long movies with special effects and narrations from Vincent Price ( UGH!!!!!) and my friends went ape shit over it. NOT ME!!!! I knew since I was a musician myself and aspired to be one that this was total crap. MTV tried to appease us with Headbangers Ball but no idiom was safe from the money washers at the record companies. I guess I should of seen the writing on the wall when YO! MTV RAPS was on during the day and Headbangers Ball was on 12-3 A.M.I liked allmost all of Rush's videos cause it was such a rarity to actually see one!!!!! The Big Money was and still is one of my favorite songs/vids.

Now a days and I guess where the "OLD GEEZER" alert should sound ALL MUSIC VIDEOS SUCK!!!!!

First of all how are you gonna see them? Does MTV still play videos? OH! I guess they do when the aren't indoctrinating the youth into lives of meaningless material worship.I just watched Judas Priest on VH-1 Classics over the weekend and I was actually impressed. Now I was never a huge JP fan . I saw them in concert once ( Turbo) it was a great show but the whole vibe of the band allways freaked me out a little. What I am trying to say here is that because of the last 20 years the qualtity of the musicianship has gotten so decrepid , so singularly simple and mindless that when I hear a band I didn't like 20 years ago on tv I am so happy they are on that I love it!!! WTF has happened to hard rock/metal/whatever music? What do they call it now ? It's unlistenable. Yep I guess I am just getting old . Oh well I loved the Rush videos and are happy they make DVDs now . MTV networks can go to heck ( you can tell I am mad now) and I think Jazz is gonna make a significant resurgence in my life.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 6 2006, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Feb 6 2006, 07:15 AM)
one word = Embarrassing  ph34r.gif

It's the complete opposite with other bands - great videos and sh*t music  angry.gif

Maybe they think it's not important - but then why bother doing them at all  confused13.gif

I think it was more the record label that was pushing them to make videos for thier songs. I've read somewhere (long ago) that they were not at all enthusiastic about making music videos from the beginning, but they didnt have much of a choice in the matter.

Also you have to wonder how much artistic control RUSH themselves had in making these lousy videos. I bet most of them were someone elses interpretation and vision(director,producer) Since RUSH didn't seem overly enthusiastic about the process and not as concerned about videos (duran duran) as they were about making music, they might of just gave others more control fiquring thats there specialty and they knew more about it then they did. I have the feeling RUSH just showed up for these things (part of the job) yes.gif I agree record company put pressure on them to do this.

Just thought of a couple more videos consider ok,

The Pass actually pretty good (already mentioned several times I know)

Nobodys Hero and Stick it Out (at least seen on Bevis and Butthead !) laugh.gif

I think maybe most of you are overthinking and over analyzing the videos. 2.gif is not a band that is defined by their videos. Their careers aren't made or broken by whether or not they have good videos. In fact IMO, if it wasn't for their videos many people might not have become 2.gif fans. I'm sure if you asked every 2.gif fan on the earth if watching a 2.gif video had anything to do with them getting into 2.gif , you would probably find thousands would answer yes. We are approaching this subject from the aspect of fans that weren't touch by 2.gif through the magic of music videos. They are just videos (chessy at times) and personally I love all the videos they have. The first 2.gif video I watched was CTTH and I thought it kicked ass. I even loved Time Stands Still.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 6 2006, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Feb 5 2006, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (tepes22b @ Feb 5 2006, 08:16 AM)
Subdivisions (I like this song, but this video was wayyyyy too "I Love the 80s")

Well, it was 1982. confused13.gif

Yeah. confused13.gif

I DO Love the 80's.

Considering what we are being force-fed through MTV these days, I have to agree.

Rush, Supertramp, Styx and Pink Floyd were not the most photogenic artists out there. David Gilmour would just play his guitar and sing in Pink Floyd and or his solo clips. Nick Mason and Rick Wright would just play their drums and keyboards respectively in PF's live clips. In Rush's videos, Geddy, Alex and Neil would just usually play. I saw Half the World on VH1 Classic's All Request Hour once and not seen it since. The Pass I saw in bad quality on 2112.net's video vertigo and the video was taken from MTV as it had the chryon

Rush

"The Pass"

Presto

Atlantic Records

Do I miss those days.

Supertramp's It's Raining again clip, the band members are briefly seen(John Helliwell at intro playing saxophone under an old Coca-Cola sign, Dougie Thomson as a bus driver(last time he had the beard and moustache), Roger Hodgson(who looked like Jesus Christ with long hair and beard and moustache) for one second as a passenger on the bus and Rick Davies and Bob Siebenberg as two rednecks in a pick-up(Bob was the lone 'Tramp without facial hair)). Styx's Mr Roboto you mainly see Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung. When I first saw the clip, I thought Dennis was out of the band as I had not seen him without his moustache and long hair. Then I had to watch the clip for Don't Let it End and grab an old Styx album to make sure it was Dennis and it was.

Pink Floyd's videos were mainly backdrop films or had the band briefly in them except if they were concert clips.

Archived