Official Frank Zappa Thread

Ok Zappa experts. I've been searching for a youtube link for a Zappa song on I'm assuming is from the '69-'70 era. I remember it from the times my dad played it when I was about the age of 5. The only thing I recall about it is Zappa repeatedly singing Alice Cooper's name over and over again. So if anyone knows the title of it or can post the appropriate link I'd appreciate it.

I love the Muffin Man from Baby Snakes where he just hits the outro solo. Roxy, Live in NY, and the Helsinki concert are amazing. Love early 70s Zappa!

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 23 2011, 02:11 AM)
Ok Zappa experts. I've been searching for a youtube link for a Zappa song on I'm assuming is from the '69-'70 era. I remember it from the times my dad played it when I was about the age of 5. The only thing I recall about it is Zappa repeatedly singing Alice Cooper's name over and over again. So if anyone knows the title of it or can post the appropriate link I'd appreciate it.

That would be "What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e3kgSTIQcY

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 23 2010, 03:21 PM)
it doesnt get any better than this wub.gif

http://talkingnow.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/zappa-apostrophe.jpg

I've been listening to the title track a lot lately. 1022.gif

Kickass jamming instrumental with Zappa on guitar of course, Jack Bruce on bass and Jim Gordon on drums

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Mar 22 2010, 06:23 PM)
Did want to mention "Trance-Fusion." Sort of a more recent release that I'm fond of at the moment.

I'll be back in the future to talk some Zappa.

I bought a copy last summer... some really good stuff there, from different eras, too. I agree with Zoot Allures, it sticks with me quite a bit. I'm also a big fan of One Size Fits All and Shut Up And Play yer Guitar. He had good stuff from every decade he recorded in. How could he not? Very prolific and never stopped experimenting.

My first Zappa album was Sheik Yerbouti.

The album that REALLY got me into him was Hot Rats.

And my current favorite album is Zappa in New York.

Just got the Baby Snakes DVD this week. Wowie zowie!

Thinking about Zappa, while listening to "Broadway the Hardway"...

You know, out of any artist or band Frank Zappa is the most un-duplicatable artist out there... Think of Rush, many artists have duplicated or played stylistically similar to Rush, same for a plethora of artists, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis... all these bands have been (for want of a better word) "matched" in their style.... Not Zappa though...

As great as the bands like Rush and Floyd are, you can say that "There will be another artist or band like Rush, like Floyd, like Zeppelin"...etc... I do not think you can say that about Zappa... I truly think that there will never be another artist "like Zappa" (not including Dweezil's ZPZ).... never...

This also brings another thought about Zappa, where to classify Zappa? Is he rock? Prog? Jazz? IMO its a bit of all, and nothing of any.... Zappa, more than any other artist can be classified almost as a genera onto his own... Zappa is almost his own genera.

QUOTE (KillerInstinct @ Mar 21 2010, 03:47 PM)
Zappa newbie here tongue.gif

what album should i listen to to get started?

someone reccommended Hot Rats to me, but i haven't bothered to listen to it yet wink.gif

Zappa's work is hard to classify, but there are some general eras you can reference, and after years of listening to Frank, I feel the best to recommend to a newbie is the early/mid 70's funky rock era; albums like Overnite Sensation, Apostrophe, Roxy and Elsewhere, and One Size Fits All. I am also very fond of his big band stuff of the years just preceeding that, and I also like most of the more harsh listening served up by the original Mothers lineup of the late 60's (We're Only in it for the Money is a virtual time warp into the unknown world of the LA Freak scene of the late 60's....it is an anthropological sensation).

Frank had a lot of good material after the mid 70's, but it got more and more diluted by what I consider to be filler, so I would steer clear of his 80's stuff for a bit until you really get hungry for more.

The late 70's had some good stuff. Sheik Yerbouti is a mixed bag of good and bad for me, I feel that Joe's Garage is better.

Then there's the huge Lather album which was recorded 75-77 or so....a really amazing mix of bands and even orchestra. It has some filler for sure, but is pretty essential actually.

And oh yes, I almost forgot,.....there are several official releases of live material from the 1988 tour (which I attended twice, hallelujah!). It was one of his better bands, and some amazing gems are to be found in those releases.

Edited by spitball

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 26 2011, 08:29 PM)
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/c1dd622f-f5d0-478e-aabe-4901d009491c.jpg

I need more ZAPPA

laugh.gif

I was just listening to a few of his albums this morning, actually. Some people don't "get" him but I think he was an incredible musician. I'd do anything to go back in time and see him live.

He had so many albums its ridiculous. I love how he had such a wide range of material. There's something for everyone.

QUOTE (KillerInstinct @ Mar 21 2010, 03:47 PM)
Zappa newbie here tongue.gif

what album should i listen to to get started?

someone reccommended Hot Rats to me, but i haven't bothered to listen to it yet wink.gif

I like zoot allures

torture never stops kicks ass