Be careful when you quit a band!

Hey guys,

I quit my band thursday and ever since, the manager has been trying to destroy my life. His gf hacked my facebook account, printed up some embarrasing emails about a forbidden relationship I had and mailed them out to people. He called the city where i live and is trying to get me evicted out of my new house which i paid cash for because i'm living in it while i'm bringing it up to code. He called my corner bikini bar and told the manager i've been taking pics of the girls (lie) to try to get me banned. He's sueing me for slander because he lied and posted a craigslist ad for a new drummer saying i was fired, and i retaliated by posting a reply to the ad stating the truth about why i quit the band, that I have been getting ripped off. He told us he was putting the money aside from live gigs for studio time when in fact he was just spending the money on buying... let's say "herbal remedies". I mentioned the band name so now I'm getting letters from lawyers. All this for a band I only got paid $40 over a period of a year and a half.

So, be careful of who's band you join and watch out when you quit. There could be repercussions (no pun intended). sad.gif

It sounds to me like he's slandering your name. I don't know if you want to see a lawyer, but he sure is trying to get you into a lot of trouble with phone calls and e-mails.

I hope you can work it all out. sad.gif

Sounds like you have some harassment going on. Hacking your Facebook account is illegal and should be actionable. This is pretty petty stuff. I would suggest not responding to their ads for another drummer. They will be found out on their own, not your problem. If this guy is spending gig money on weed then he probably can't afford an attorney to file suit against you for slander, much less have any real legal ground to stand on. You should still talk to someone to protect yourself and to check into penalties for someone hacking a personal electronic account.

I'm leaving it all alone. I just got hired by a cover band for $100/show and they do at least one show per weekend.

In order to sue me for slander, he would need to prove loss of revenue, and in order to prove that he needs to prove revenue earned previously. I'm sure his lawyer will discourage him to follow thru unless he wants to pay the IRS a cut for the last ten years of profits he didn't claim on his income taxes... wink.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 11 2010, 12:11 PM)
Hey guys,
I quit my band thursday and ever since, the manager has been trying to destroy my life. His gf hacked my facebook account, printed up some embarrasing emails about a forbidden relationship I had and mailed them out to people. He called the city where i live and is trying to get me evicted out of my new house which i paid cash for because i'm living in it while i'm bringing it up to code. He called my corner bikini bar and told the manager i've been taking pics of the girls (lie) to try to get me banned. He's sueing me for slander because he lied and posted a craigslist ad for a new drummer saying i was fired, and i retaliated by posting a reply to the ad stating the truth about why i quit the band, that I have been getting ripped off. He told us he was putting the money aside from live gigs for studio time when in fact he was just spending the money on buying... let's say "herbal remedies". I mentioned the band name so now I'm getting letters from lawyers. All this for a band I only got paid $40 over a period of a year and a half.
So, be careful of who's band you join and watch out when you quit. There could be repercussions (no pun intended). sad.gif

That's awful, man. I'm sorry that happened to you. That manager sounds like a real twerp.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 11 2010, 02:12 PM)
Sounds like you have some harassment going on. Hacking your Facebook account is illegal and should be actionable. This is pretty petty stuff. I would suggest not responding to their ads for another drummer. They will be found out on their own, not your problem. If this guy is spending gig money on weed then he probably can't afford an attorney to file suit against you for slander, much less have any real legal ground to stand on. You should still talk to someone to protect yourself and to check into penalties for someone hacking a personal electronic account.

couldn't agree more. I wouldn't make any more contacts with them. Just document any slander that they are doing and play it cool. If you need to pursue it further, you have protected yourself.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 11 2010, 03:46 PM)
I'm leaving it all alone. I just got hired by a cover band for $100/show and they do at least one show per weekend.
In order to sue me for slander, he would need to prove loss of revenue, and in order to prove that he needs to prove revenue earned previously. I'm sure his lawyer will discourage him to follow thru unless he wants to pay the IRS a cut for the last ten years of profits he didn't claim on his income taxes... wink.gif

ohmy.gif MAN, I AM SORRY TO HEAR THIS!!! ohmy.gif

I admire your attitude about it though. yes.gif