Band of Brothers: The Pacific

Cowtothesky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, really looking forward to seeing this.

Obviously comparisons will be made between the two war dramas - I really loved BoB, can't believe that show is 10 years old now, but still is as exciting & absorbing as ever.

I hope The Pacific lives up to the hype, as well giving a similar true depiction of what really happened out there during the final year or so of WWII

If any of you have HD Showcase on demand, they're showing an 8-minute clip from one of the episodes and several profiles of the men portrayed in the series. Go check it out, there's about 45 or so minutes worth of cool stuff.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 1 2010, 10:22 AM)
If any of you have HD Showcase on demand, they're showing an 8-minute clip from one of the episodes and several profiles of the men portrayed in the series. Go check it out, there's about 45 or so minutes worth of cool stuff.

There is also a making of.. video at the hbo website. It shows what battles they are going to be going through. Hanks said that one of the battle scenes lasted 3 episodes. I'm really excited about this series.

The first Band of Brothers series really helped me with the timeline of the war. I knew about the battles, but it was cool being able to sync it all together and get a general context of the war. The Pacific war should also give me some perspective. Again, I know about most of the battles, but love how this series takes you through a timeline so you can see how each battle relates to the war and the strategy.

I was going to drop HBO from my cable package because I don't really watch it much. I guess I will be keeping my subscription. I can't wait!

bumper.gif

I don't know guys. The first episode seemed alright. The acting was OK but it felt completely different from the usual stuff we get from Speilberg and Hanks. The first episode of Band of Brothers was WAY better than this first epsiode.

One thing that bugged me was that ALREADY in the first episode they had to show that scene to make us feel sorry for the Japanese soldiers. In Band of Brothers, we didn't get these types of scenes until later when they were well placed and made sense because they went along with the characters feelings about war. Why do we need to have this politically correct stuff in the first episode?

Another thing was that we didn't get to see the first battle all the way trough. Band of Brothers practically NEVER faded out on a battle so why did they do it now, in the first episode? It doesn't mke any sense because the Japanese had the element of surprised and started flanking the U.S. troops so it started to look like the Japs had the upper hand, not to mention the U.S. troops were in a panic. Then they fade out and somehow the U.S. won?

I don't know. I'll continue to watch the series becasue I absolutely love Speilberg and Hank's work on this sort of thing, but as for this first episode, I'm mildly disappointed.

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 17 2010, 10:54 AM)
bumper.gif

I don't know guys. The first episode seemed alright. The acting was OK but it felt completely different from the usual stuff we get from Speilberg and Hanks. The first episode of Band of Brothers was WAY better than this first epsiode.

One thing that bugged me was that ALREADY in the first episode they had to show that scene to make us feel sorry for the Japanese soldiers. In Band of Brothers, we didn't get these types of scenes until later when they were well placed and made sense because they went along with the characters feelings about war. Why do we need to have this politically correct stuff in the first episode?

Another thing was that we didn't get to see the first battle all the way trough. Band of Brothers practically NEVER faded out on a battle so why did they do it now, in the first episode? It doesn't mke any sense because the Japanese had the element of surprised and started flanking the U.S. troops so it started to look like the Japs had the upper hand, not to mention the U.S. troops were in a panic. Then they fade out and somehow the U.S. won?

I don't know. I'll continue to watch the series becasue I absolutely love Speilberg and Hank's work on this sort of thing, but as for this first episode, I'm mildly disappointed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2010, 07:12 PM)
bumper.gif

Ok good. Im not over thinking it too much smile.gif

Hopefully it was just the first episode because it seemed damn slow to me - They didn't set the characters up at all - you get this feeling your watching a bunch of different people and you really can't connect to any of them -

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 17 2010, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2010, 07:12 PM)
bumper.gif

Ok good. Im not over thinking it too much smile.gif

I thought the first episode was really good, but I do see your point on the PC thing. I thought the music score was subpar also, comparing it to Band of Brothers. Hans Zimmer and 2 others worked on the score, so I was expecting something amazing. Perhaps we haven't seen the series he was involved in. The main theme really didn't move me.

Like both of you, I hope they don't go too far down the pc path. I guess we will see in the future episodes. I noticed that Tom Hanks did some narrating.

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 17 2010, 11:54 AM)
bumper.gif

I've seen it twice and I cannot figure out which scene is supposed to be making me feel sorry about the Japanese soldiers. I must be a real a-hole if I missed it. Let me know when it is - seriously.

Did it happen after they showed the dead American with their genitals cut off and shoved in their mouth? If it happened after that it might be why I didn;t feel sorry for them....

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Mar 18 2010, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 17 2010, 11:54 AM)
bumper.gif

I've seen it twice and I cannot figure out which scene is supposed to be making me feel sorry about the Japanese soldiers. I must be a real a-hole if I missed it. Let me know when it is - seriously.

Did it happen after they showed the dead American with their genitals cut off and shoved in their mouth? If it happened after that it might be why I didn;t feel sorry for them....

You know; the American soldiers screwing around with the Jap while they werent really killing him but just injuring him, the guy finding the doll and the picture from the family of the guy he just killed.

Stuff like that happened very LATE in Band Of Brothers (Original) because it went with Winters' feelings about war. In the Pacific it was like they were making it a point to balance out the sympathy that we give to each side. Gay.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 18 2010, 02:49 PM)
I dread what angle they might be taking with this mini-series.

You mean NOT showing us the full battle. angry.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 18 2010, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 18 2010, 02:49 PM)
I dread what angle they might be taking with this mini-series.

You mean NOT showing us the full battle. angry.gif

Among other things...