Kicked off Pro-Bowl team

Earthshine

When the Pro Bowl stops letting Fans vote and just lets the Players and Coaches vote , i will give a rats ass.

It's the F'in Pro Bowl. You really expect players to take it that seriously. It is so vanilla that these guys should not even have to practice. There are passes, runs, and punts. Nothing fancy.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 31 2010, 11:03 AM)
The Pro Bowl is a joke.  It makes no sense.  They shouldnt even have one.

Even worse is, it's being played before the Super Bowl. The players from the Saints/Colts who were selected won't even be playing in the game. What's the fu***** point? http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/wacko.gif http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/fing.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 31 2010, 05:04 PM)
What if they had the Pro Bowl in the middle of the season like every other major sport? Do you think more people would pay attention then?

http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/no.gif They might as well play flag footlball during this game. The rules for the game are just plain http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/cat.gif http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 31 2010, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 31 2010, 03:03 PM)
The Pro Bowl is a joke.  It makes no sense.  They shouldnt even have one.

Yep. Of all the all star games, the NFL's is especially meaningless. I've watched the Pro Bowl exactly zero times.

before they started having it in Hawaii it was here once (tampa). I got to go meet players and get autographs and go to the game. Sometime back in the late seventies. The adult that took me to the autograph session wanted to get a picture of a player and couldn;t get his attention. He yelled: That was a great catch you made in the super bowl. The player looked up since he didn;t even play in the super bowl and snap, the photo was taken.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 31 2010, 09:04 PM)
What if they had the Pro Bowl in the middle of the season like every other major sport? Do you think more people would pay attention then?

No. The whole idea is absurd. More than any other sport, football is a team sport, and a vicious contact sport. There's no place for playing really well without your team. A game between to teams made up of all pros makes no sense - outside of their system and plays and teamwork, its just a collection of guys, nothing at stake, and no place for a group of individual achievers, especially on the line.

The game is a joke.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 31 2010, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 31 2010, 09:04 PM)

No. The whole idea is absurd. More than any other sport, football is a team sport, and a vicious contact sport. There's no place for playing really well without your team. A game between to teams made up of all pros makes no sense - outside of their system and plays and teamwork, its just a collection of guys, nothing at stake, and no place for a group of individual achievers, especially on the line.

The game is a joke.

Correct. To be sure, none of the four major sports' all star games are that big a deal, but...

Baseball has enough emphasis on individual effort to make the game (and especially the skills competitions before the game) at least somewhat interesting. If the score is close late in the game, and you get some dream matchups between the best relief pitchers and hitters, then there's plenty of drama to be seen.

Basketball is basically a showcase for behind-the-back passes and slam dunks, but b-ball fans might find that interesting. There's some improvisation involved, and the really talented players can make it fun to watch, but the constant scoring becomes boring after a while.

Hockey, of all the major sports, it's the one that benefits the most from improvisation, and that lends itself nicely to the all star format. Throw the game plan out the window and let the guys go nuts. It's like having the game's best players out on the pond on a Sunday afternoon. Nothing but skating, sick passing plays, neat moves and stickhandling, and creative shots. And because hockey goals are exciting events that don't happen three times a minute like in basketball, it makes for a better game.

Football is different. As lerxt said, it's the most team-oriented sport. All the things that make football what it is -- the hard hitting, the rehearsed timing plays that work only because of weeks of practice between players who know each other, and the well thought-out game plans necessary to win games, are gone from the Pro Bowl. BOOOORING.

I am watching the game and my wife walks through the room. She asks: why aren;t those guys trying to tackle him? I explained about it being an all star game and no one wanting to get hurt. she looks at me like I am crazy and keeps on walking...

And there you have the difference. In a game where each play is like a car crash with hitting, doing it without your team, in a game that doesn't count, is not worth it - an injury in this kind of game would be criminal.

If the league needs to conduct some sort of mental masturbation, then they should have an All Pro weekend with skills competitions, not this absurd game.

If I added up all the minutes I have watched of Pro Bowl games in my life I don't think it would add up to 60 minutes.

They should just do away with it and have skills competition like the QB challenge they do. That one is fun to watch.

Pro Bowl is a waste, Josh Cribbs looked good though on that 65 yard return. http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Anyone remember they use to have Superbowl champs VS College All-Stars game at Chicago Soldier Field? That was slightly more interesting to watch. But not really a good idea due to the possibility of NFL prospects getting hurt.

Archived