How Do You Make Your Favorite Martini? Bond Knows!

RUSHHEAD666

First off martini makers, what is your favorite kind of vodka to use?

Wendy and I are Grey Goose Goofballs! What's better?

The way I make a martini is simple, tasty and yeah, very dirty.

Take a bunch of ice and crush it, then throw it into your martini shaker.

Grab your favorite glass jar of olives. I go for the Santa Barbara brand. Garlic stuffed is great, so is the basic pimento. My wife likes the blue cheese stuffed olive. 062802puke_prv.gif

Before I close up the martini shaker I always pour in a nice dose of olive juice.

I then put a three olive skewer into each frosty martini glass.

Shake that shaker like your a great love maker and then pour that icy crystal fluid into each glass.

Serve and enjoy!

One time I made a "cheese and meatini." It was like a meal inside a martini glass.

Three olives, a cube of monterey jack cheese and half a Slim Jim inside the glass.

Sounds strange but it was very tasty.

martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif martini_shaken.gif

I start with Stolichnaya. (Sorry, but Russian vodka is far superior to French vodka.) I pour it over ice cubes in the antique shaker that my Dad gave me (I'll have to post pics of it one day), add two drops of dry vermouth, stir (this is where Bond got it wrong, it's better to stir a Martini than it is to shake it), pour, and add one olive. This recipe is called the Cold War Martini and it's my favorite. Try it sometime! Edited by Jack Aubrey

Isn't a martini supposed to be gin rather than vodka??? I personally can't stand gin so my perfect martini would be a straight shot of vodka.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 30 2009, 04:50 PM)
Isn't a martini supposed to be gin rather than vodka??? I personally can't stand gin so my perfect martini would be a straight shot of vodka.

Yes, a classic Martini is made with gin.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 30 2009, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 30 2009, 04:50 PM)
Isn't a martini supposed to be gin rather than vodka???  I personally can't stand gin so my perfect martini would be a straight shot of vodka.

Yes, a classic Martini is made with gin.

I did not know that! I'm a rookie martini maker.

I'm a beer guy!

trink39.gif

my vodka martini- 2 oz Christiania Vodka, 1 oz dry vermouth, 1 dash sweet vermouth, stirred over ice, strained into glass with a twist of lemon Christiania is the best vodka I have yet tried (and I've had Goose, Belvedere, Chopin, Stolichnaya, Ultimat, Crystal Head, et cetera) everything else pales in comparison, it's smoother than silk, no after bite (which I get even with Goose and Chopin), and has a very subtle, gentle sweetness on the back of the tongue when sipped straight slightly chilled. The only other vodkas I will drink striahgt or use in martinis are Prarie and Boomerang, which though not quite as smooth as Christiania, are both fantastic.

for my gin martini- 1.5 oz Knockabout Gin or New Amsterdam Gin, 1.5 oz dry vermouth, 2 dashes sweet vermouth, stirred over ice, strained, and garnished with a twist of lemon. Up until recently, I could not stand gin. Every one I had tried tasted like pine sol or made me want to toss my cookies. Then I hapened to sample the Knockabout during a tasting in the store I work at, and was blown away by just how smooth, just how damned good it was. Also on that day I happened to sample the New Amsterdam and again was blown away, soft citrus notes to it, not overly harsh on the juniper berries, just a great gin, and so far those are the only ones I have been able to drink.

As for the lemon twist, I can't stand olives, and it's a throw back to the original martinis which were used lemons not olives.

Of course, we could always go with the Hawkeye Pierce version of the martini- take 5 jiggers of gin, and drink it while saluting a picture of the inventor of vermouth.

Here's my antique Martini shaker I was telling you guys about. My Dad says he bought it back in 1958. I think it's just as cool as can be. I also have 4 matching jiggers that go with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/S1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/S2.jpg

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 5 2010, 02:02 PM)
Here's my antique Martini shaker I was telling you guys about. My Dad says he bought it back in 1958. I think it's just as cool as can be. I also have 4 matching jiggers that go with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/S1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/S2.jpg

^ That's awesome!

I'm a gin girl myself, but not martini -- gimlets please for me. I can only have vodka drinks if it's stirred in REAL well with whatever else is in the cocktail. Been too many times riding the porcelain bus due to vodka.

I will say, there is this place in Maine called Cold River and they make a GREAT vodka. Very smooth and I can handle it in smaller doses! http://www.coldrivervodka.com/home.php

Other than a lemon/lime garnish once in a while, keep the food out of my drink wink.gif