Them Crooked Vultures

ElderberryRyan

QUOTE (LaFellaStrangiato @ Jan 6 2010, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 27 2009, 11:01 PM)
I saw THEM CROOKED VULTURES in Oakland at The Fox.
They fukking blew the roof off that place.  SOLD OUT HIGH OCTANE ENERGY!
All of you NIRVANA HATERS need to see Dave Grohl rip the shit out of the skins.
He was INCREDIBLE!

John Paul Jones played all kinds of instruments.  Bass, guitar, keys and a KEYTAR!
It was nice to see a living Led Zep member in the flesh.
John was the backbone of the Mighty Zep if you ask me.  He looked great for his age too!
John and Dave's eyes were locked onto each other throughout most of the night.  "Warsaw" was MINDBLOWING!!
Josh is the "Weakest Link" for sure.  I never was into the Queens Of The Stone Age so maybe that is an unfair statement.  He was just alright that night.

There music is much better live than on that cd.  Still that album is a MUST HAVE if you love ROCK.

I think Grohl can hit the drums just as hard as John Bonham did!!

Signed,

"IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR!"  1022.gif

I was at the Oakland show too! Also caught them in LA on the night of the release. As good as the album is, you can't truly appreciate them unless you see them live.

Wasn't that Oakland show fantastic?

What do you think of the newly remodeled FOX?

It's now my favorite indoor venue and it's easy to get to unlike The Fillmore or The Warfield!

John Paul Jones and Grohl blew my mind.

I think they are going to work on a second album!

Cant' wait!!!

trink39.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not got this yet, from what I've heard of it so far Earl is probably right. The drumming is pretty good and we know all about JPJ, but the other guy is the weak link - so-so guitar and vocals. It still might be worth me getting though I like the idea of it and a few songs on there.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 6 2010, 03:43 PM)
I've not got this yet, from what I've heard of it so far Earl is probably right. The drumming is pretty good and we know all about JPJ, but the other guy is the weak link - so-so guitar and vocals. It still might be worth me getting though I like the idea of it and a few songs on there.

You are right on the money Pat!

Josh is "The Weakest Link."

I own NOTHING by "Queens Of The Stoned Age." I think they suck.

Watching Dave and John playing in the pocket grooves all night long was worth the price of admission.

Say what you will about GRUNGE, but man Dave Grohl is a MONSTER on the drum kit. John Bonham would have been proud!!

trink39.gif

PS. On a side note I also must say that I think David Grohl blows Jason Bonham AWAY! It's not even close. I was watching that UFO dvd called "Showtime" the other night, and Jason was by far "The Weakest Link." Even Andy Parker is a better drummer than Jason. Heck I just saw UFO a few months ago and Parker kicked ass!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 6 2010, 05:49 PM)

Watching Dave and John playing in the pocket grooves all night long was worth the price of admission.

Say what you will about GRUNGE, but man Dave Grohl is a MONSTER on the drum kit. John Bonham would have been proud!!

trink39.gif

PS. On a side note I also must say that I think David Grohl blows Jason Bonham AWAY! It's not even close. I was watching that UFO dvd called "Showtime" the other night, and Jason was by far "The Weakest Link." Even Andy Parker is a better drummer than Jason. Heck I just saw UFO a few months ago and Parker kicked ass!! 1022.gif

Aye...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (LaFellaStrangiato @ Jan 6 2010, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 27 2009, 01:13 AM)
I'm sort of interested in this despite not being much of a QOTSA fan nor a Dave Grohl freak. I've heard bits...sounded ok. Can anyone convince me further of the merits of the album?

Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I ~ A funky boogie tune with an EXPLOSION OF SOUND at about the 2:44 mark that still leaves me feeling like I've been pleasantly assaulted. JPJ's slide bass work sounds fantastic.

Mind Eraser (No Chaser) ~ Crunchy, angular and poppy, it's the most Foo Fighter sounding tune on the album, with a little Guns 'n' Roses thrown in for good measure. This will probably be the next single released, after...

New Fang ~ The first single and the most broadly appealing song. Texas blues with lots of twang.

Dead End Friends ~ A very Josh Homme led tune that sounds like something off of his side project, 'Desert Sessions'. Simple, raw Rock and Roll. Currently my favorite on the disc.

Elephants ~ One of my least favorites, it still has it's moments. The middle section is a bit plodding for me, but the intro and ending are crowd surfing, thrash metal bliss.

Scumbag Blues ~ Pure Fu*&ing CREAM. As in the band. Josh does and amazing Jack Bruce impersonation. It has an interesting and unique guitar chorus at 1:43.

Bandoliers ~ Hard to describe, it took me a few listens to get into this one, but it's grown on me. Pop rock with an alternative twist, it's one of those tunes that reminds you of several different bands, but you can't quite put your finger on whom. There is a really satisfying timing trick that they play toward the end, switching the start of the measure to the downbeat to the upbeat.

Reptiles ~ Probably the most Zep sounding tune on the album with frantic, demented vocals and Physical Graffiti style melody and beat. If Zep ever reunites, this song proves that Grohl is up to the task.

Interlude (with Ludes) ~ The strangest song on the disc that I appreciated more once I saw it live. An acquired taste to be sure.

Warsaw ~ The bolding is intentional. This by far their best live song and it's no coincidence that they've been ending their show with this tune for months. Mix the grungy slide of Clutch with the melodic sense of George Harrison and a taste of Primus and you have Warsaw. They've lengthened this song to about twelve minutes live into a Space Jam, trading guitar riffs and improvising in different ways. I've seen about twelve different versions of this song on Youtube and every one is different.

Caligulove ~ If Scumbag is Cream, than this song is The Doors. All of the band members channeled a lot of dead musicians from the 60s and 70s when they were writing this song. I suspect rampant drug use. 653.gif

Gunman ~ The 'Dance Tune' on the disc. Part disco, part White Zombie, part David Bowie. Love the funkiness of it and it sounded even better live.

Spinning In Daffodils ~ Urgent and dangerous, it makes me feel like I'm riding my Undead horse, chain smoking cigarettes while being ceaselessly pursued by the restless ghost of Stevie Ray Vaughn, and not in a bad way. Live, JPJ performed a short but absolutely beautiful piano solo. Another of my favorites from the album.

Overall, I'd give this recording four out of five stars. It's a great first effort and the band has only gotten tighter live as their tour has carried on.

They've already verbally committed to doing a followup album, the only question is...when? Neither Josh or Dave are ready to give up their regular bands, but this project has been successful enough for them to consider putting the Foos and QotSA on hiatus for a while.

Although I'm a QotSA addict, TCV has almost certainly surpassed them, and I wouldn't mind at all if this became their regular gig for the time being! martini_shaken.gif

I missed this post, thanks for that...

cool.gif

trink39.gif

Yeah, Jason was playing with whatever incarnation of Foreigner is now not long ago.. eyesre4.gif

Grohl has always been one of my favorite musicians from the 90s. He kicks the shit out of the drums , and is a good songwriter as well. Queens of the Stone Age is an aquired taste, and i can see how he is the weak link here, but overall, they have a pretty cool thing going on with this lineup.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 6 2010, 04:04 PM)

trink39.gif

Yeah, Jason was playing with whatever incarnation of Foreigner is now not long ago.. eyesre4.gif

Grohl has always been one of my favorite musicians from the 90s. He kicks the shit out of the drums , and is a good songwriter as well. Queens of the Stone Age is an aquired taste, and i can see how he is the weak link here, but overall, they have a pretty cool thing going on with this lineup.

No doubt doood!

I remember when Jason was in that Foreigner band without Lou Gramm. Oh and Jeff Pilson from Dokken is still in that band on bass.

Lou Gramm is doing some Christian Rock Band Thingy now. Not my cup 'o tea!

I remember seeing Nirvana on New Year's Eve back in 1990. They opened for The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Anyway, at the end of the Nirvana set they smashed all of their instruments. David pulled a Keith Moon that night but still it was an awesome sight to see him fukkin' destroy his kit.

Grohl is a great drummer.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 6 2010, 03:51 PM)

trink39.gif

Aye...

trink38.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 6 2010, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 6 2010, 04:04 PM)

trink39.gif

No doubt doood!

I remember when Jason was in that Foreigner band without Lou Gramm. Oh and Jeff Pilson from Dokken is still in that band on bass.

Lou Gramm is doing some Christian Rock Band Thingy now. Not my cup 'o tea!

I remember seeing Nirvana on New Year's Eve back in 1990. They opened for The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Anyway, at the end of the Nirvana set they smashed all of their instruments. David pulled a Keith Moon that night but still it was an awesome sight to see him fukkin' destroy his kit.

Grohl is a great drummer.

I had a chance to see Nirvana back in '91, right before Nevermind came out, but passed. Im actually not sure if i would have liked them live, cobain being so sloppy. But Grohl is fun to watch.

I'm falling for this album more and more everyday.

I keep hearing Josh is the weakest link from so many people too. I think the opposite of that. It's his vocals and guitars that stop this from sounding like a Led Zep clone, which it could have had someone else been doing his parts. There's a reservedness about his vocals that let the music do the talking here, and I get the feeling he realises the other two are far better on their instruments than he, and he's letting them take over.

Besides that, with the exception of Wolfmother, a couple of Muse albums and maybe Biffy Clyro, these guys are the best, new bonafide rock band we've got right now. Give them some time and they could be incredible!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 7 2010, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (ElderberryRyan @ Jan 7 2010, 11:44 AM)
josh and qosta suck? get a clue......

and check out kyuss while you're at it, that stuff will kick your balls

I love KYUSS. Can't get into QUEENS!

Fu Manchu rock as well.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 6 2010, 02:39 PM)
He was INCREDIBLE!

John Paul Jones played all kinds of instruments.  Bass, guitar, keys and a KEYTAR!
John was the backbone of the Mighty Zep if you ask me.  He looked great for his age too!
John and Dave's eyes were locked onto each other throughout most of the night.  "Warsaw" was MINDBLOWING!!
Josh is the "Weakest Link" for sure.  I never was into the Queens Of The Stone Age so maybe that is an unfair statement.  He was just alright that night.

There music is much better live than on that cd.  Still that album is a MUST HAVE if you love ROCK.

Signed,

I was at the Oakland show too! Also caught them in LA on the night of the release. As good as the album is, you can't truly appreciate them unless you see them live.

It's now my favorite indoor venue and it's easy to get to unlike The Fillmore or The Warfield!

Cant' wait!!!

trink39.gif

Yep, I loved the Fox. I'd never seen a show there before the remodel, but I was impressed with what I saw, and heard. The acoustics there were incredible too!

To address a couple of other points made in this thread...

As far as Josh being the "weakest link" in the band, it's hard to argue the point when your bandmates are Grohl and JPJ, but the criticism is certainly relative.

It's like saying Lifeson is the weak link in Rush as he shares the stage with Geddy and Neil. It may be true, but it doesn't detract from the fact that Alex is a superior guitar player to most.

I think Josh is awesome. No, he's not the best vocalist. No, he's not the best guitar player either. But there are a lot of intangibles that go into being a well-rounded musician, and he has them in spades.

First, he's a Master at writing infectious riffs, those earworms that get stuck in your head for days. From 'Know One Knows' to 'The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret' and many others in the QotSA catalog, Josh writes tunes that you find yourself humming to yourself without even knowing you're doing so. I'd put his songwriting skills up against much of the crap that's praised as "groundbreaking" these days.

He's also one of the best frontmen in the rock world. He interacts with the audience, flirts with the girls, and calls out the assholes in the mosh pit who are throwing elbows into the ladies faces and throwing shit at his bandmates on the stage.

Josh is a throwback to the Golden Age of rock, when Cool was, well...Cool. When you wrote songs for yourself and hoped that other people dug what you were doing, without caring much about what the corporate suits thought. There aren't a hell of a lot of musicians like that in the commercial Rock industry anymore, and if you ask me, we'd all be better off if there were more like him.

Great thread, and thanks for reading my editorial! smile.gif

QUOTE (LaFellaStrangiato @ Jan 10 2010, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 6 2010, 02:39 PM)
He was INCREDIBLE!

Signed,

Cant' wait!!!

trink39.gif

Yep, I loved the Fox. I'd never seen a show there before the remodel, but I was impressed with what I saw, and heard. The acoustics there were incredible too!

To address a couple of other points made in this thread...

As far as Josh being the "weakest link" in the band, it's hard to argue the point when your bandmates are Grohl and JPJ, but the criticism is certainly relative.

It's like saying Lifeson is the weak link in Rush as he shares the stage with Geddy and Neil. It may be true, but it doesn't detract from the fact that Alex is a superior guitar player to most.

I think Josh is awesome. No, he's not the best vocalist. No, he's not the best guitar player either. But there are a lot of intangibles that go into being a well-rounded musician, and he has them in spades.

First, he's a Master at writing infectious riffs, those earworms that get stuck in your head for days. From 'Know One Knows' to 'The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret' and many others in the QotSA catalog, Josh writes tunes that you find yourself humming to yourself without even knowing you're doing so. I'd put his songwriting skills up against much of the crap that's praised as "groundbreaking" these days.

He's also one of the best frontmen in the rock world. He interacts with the audience, flirts with the girls, and calls out the assholes in the mosh pit who are throwing elbows into the ladies faces and throwing shit at his bandmates on the stage.

Josh is a throwback to the Golden Age of rock, when Cool was, well...Cool. When you wrote songs for yourself and hoped that other people dug what you were doing, without caring much about what the corporate suits thought. There aren't a hell of a lot of musicians like that in the commercial Rock industry anymore, and if you ask me, we'd all be better off if there were more like him.

Great thread, and thanks for reading my editorial! smile.gif

Hey dude!

I like the way you have an "open mind" about my "Weakest Link" remark about Josh.

You didn't attack me for my opinion, instead you wrote some quite intellectual and well worth reading.

I liked your Lifeson comparison, however I must say Geddy is "The Weakest Link" in RUSH! laugh.gif

Anyway your post is awesome however I will not go out to the record store tomorrow and pick up the entire Queens Of The Stone Age catalog again.

I already did it once and hated it ALL!

Love Always,

"GO WITH THE FLOW" trink38.gif

QUOTE (LaFellaStrangiato @ Jan 11 2010, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 10 2010, 11:11 PM)
I like the way you have an "open mind" about my "Weakest Link" remark about Josh.
You didn't attack me for my opinion, instead you wrote some quite intellectual and well worth reading.

That's how I roll, bro. trink39.gif

Cheers brah!!

This album gets better with each listen!

I'm warming up to Josh.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 7 2010, 06:47 PM)

I love KYUSS. Can't get into QUEENS!

big +1, i LOOOOOVE KYUSS!!!! kinda "ehh" on QOTSA.

vultures is a strong album, i really like about 1/2 of it (which is a pretty good rating from me). it kinda reminds me of zep w/ bowie's vocals & keys.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jan 19 2010, 01:16 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 18 2010, 06:28 PM)
Okay, I'm two songs in... I like it!

You like it past that?

I found after a bit i didn't like to too much.

7/10 for me sadly. I expected more from this album, and it just didn't deliver.

Yeah, it could benefit from some editing. But, overall, it's a fantastic record. After my first listen I'd give it an 8.5. Time will tell, after repeated listenings, if I'm being too generous. I'll say this much, even if I overrated it, it's not by that much. Great riffs. Great playing. Great stuff.

I've had some friends, some huge josh homme fans, who absolutely hated the album but after a few listens really warmed up to it. There's some great songs on that disc, definitely at least a 8.5 for me, but it feels like the band is still young. They're already talking about a second one, and I think that's when they're really gonna lock in with each other and come into their own. What I'm loving is the crazy arrangements, dave's drumming (which does seem simple at some times but when you take into account what's going on, it really isn't all that easy), and the whole "cream on a multitude of drugs" ambiance that's going on in a few tracks, notably "scumbag blues".

The valid point about josh has been made, it's like alex, in a band where the other 2 are legends, it makes you seem like the weakest link, but don't let that take anything away from him. sorry if I lashed out before, but I'm sure someone said 'sucks' so i responded with an equally intelligent argument tongue.gif Have your opinion on queens, but what josh brings to the table is vital to the band, his riffing, soloing and lyrics are unique to his style and without him this band would likely be a led zep rehash, which i'd have no interest in hearing.

This is a crazy album....

I will attempt to describe it.

Schizophrenic? Manic? Balls to the wall? Brass Knuckle Beating of the Mind? Syncopated tsunami of sound?

This is the most interesting album I have ever heard. Ever. I just can't believe the songs from these guys.

Josh Homme is the weakest link...I do not care for his vocals at all and the are way too low in the mix, but it somehow works with their sound. I think Grohl is a far better singer, but there is no way he could be singing lead and playing those time signatures.

I would recommend it just to hear what Alternative Sonar Schizophrenic Tsunamic Rock Music really sounds like!