Favorite Geddy vocal melody.

oldphilly

QUOTE (edie @ Nov 7 2009, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 2 2009, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Nov 2 2009, 06:57 AM)
Id like to add the "OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" from Middletown Dreams wub.gif

Shiiiitt. I forgot the "OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" in Grand Designs too

There's a really good "OOHHHHHHHHHHHH" in Witch Hunt, too. smile.gif

My favourite Witch Hunt "OHHHH" is on S&A: Live. yes.gif

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Icons/winamp.gif Ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-ooo-ohohhhhhhh...

A few that do it for me:

"...riding out of the shockwave, on that August day, all the powers that be, and the course of history, would be changed forevermore..."

"...each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect, and incomplete; genetic blends, with uncertain ends, on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet..."

"...it's cold comfort, to the ones without it, to know how they struggled, how they suffered about it; if their lives were exotic and strange, they would likely have gladly exchanged them for something a little more plain, maybe something a little more sane..."

"... I find no absolution, in my rational point of view, maybe some things are instinctive, but there's one thing you could do -- you could try.. to understand me, I could try... to understand you, you could try~ to understand me, I could try... to understand you..." (followed by awesome Alex solo/emotional story)

"... I don't believe in Destiny, or the guiding hand of Fate, I don't believe in Forever, or Love as a 'mystical state'; I don't believe in the stars or the planets, or angels watching from above, but I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love, and make it last..."

".. I turn my face to the sun, and close my eyes, let my defenses down, all these wounds that I can't get unwound; I let my past go too fast, no time to pause, if I could slow it all down... I'm not looking back, but I want to look around me now, see more of the people and the places that surround me now... freeze this moment a little bit longer..."

"...they shoot without shooting, in the name of a piece of dirt, for a change of accent, or the color of your shirt; better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides, when a colorful rag is unfurled..."

"... you can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast; you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance, first you've got to last..."

"... a ray of light, a photograph, the way I used to be, some half-forgotten stranger, doesn't mean that much to me; trick of light, moving picture, moments caught in flight, make the shadows darken , or the colors shine too bright..."

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Nov 2 2009, 06:57 AM)
Id like to add the "OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" from Middletown Dreams wub.gif

One of my favorite vocal melodies/chord progressions is the whole chorus of Middletown Dreams:

Dreams flow across the heartland

Feeding on the fires

Dreams transport desires

Drive you when you're down

Dreams transport the ones

Who need to get out of town

wub.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Nov 8 2009, 11:41 PM)
A few that do it for me:

"...riding out of the shockwave, on that August day, all the powers that be, and the course of history, would be changed forevermore..."

"...each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect, and incomplete; genetic blends, with uncertain ends, on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet..."

"...it's cold comfort, to the ones without it, to know how they struggled, how they suffered about it; if their lives were exotic and strange, they would likely have gladly exchanged them for something a little more plain, maybe something a little more sane..."

"... I find no absolution, in my rational point of view, maybe some things are instinctive, but there's one thing you could do -- you could try.. to understand me, I could try... to understand you, you could try~ to understand me, I could try... to understand you..." (followed by awesome Alex solo/emotional story)

"... I don't believe in Destiny, or the guiding hand of Fate, I don't believe in Forever, or Love as a 'mystical state'; I don't believe in the stars or the planets, or angels watching from above, but I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love, and make it last..."

".. I turn my face to the sun, and close my eyes, let my defenses down, all these wounds that I can't get unwound; I let my past go too fast, no time to pause, if I could slow it all down... I'm not looking back, but I want to look around me now, see more of the people and the places that surround me now... freeze this moment a little bit longer..."

"...they shoot without shooting, in the name of a piece of dirt, for a change of accent, or the color of your shirt; better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides, when a colorful rag is unfurled..."

"... you can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast; you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance, first you've got to last..."

"... a ray of light, a photograph, the way I used to be, some half-forgotten stranger, doesn't mean that much to me; trick of light, moving picture, moments caught in flight, make the shadows darken , or the colors shine too bright..."

Excellent examples. The synth period was a good one for Ged as far as vocal melodies go.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 5 2009, 03:15 PM)
This one is easy: "Mission." The entire vocal melody is wonderfully melodic, covers a lot of range, and Ged sings it with conviction.

The others mentioned here are also great, but "Mission" is my fave.

mine too

love the "speaking parts" in double agent. almost as cool as Neil's drumming!

Oh God, there are so many! And a lot of fine examples here already.

As for me, Xanadu and Hemisphers and all of 2112. Much of Red Sector A and Spirit of the Radio.

Analog Kid -

...The boy lies in the grass with one blade Stuck between his teeth

A vague sensation quickens In his young and restless heart

And a bright and nameless vision Has him longing to depart

...The fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs Dances on the edge of his dream And her voice rings in his ears Like the music of the spheres

..The boy pulls down his baseball hat and covers up his eyes

All of natural science but especially -

..Wheels within wheels in a spiral array A pattern so grand and complex

Time after time we lose sight of the way Our causes can't see their effects..

...A quantum leap forward In time and in space The universe learned to expand

....Science, like nature Must also be tamed With a view towards its preservation

....Wave after wave will flow with the tide And bury the world as it does

Tide after tide will flow and recede Leaving life to go on as it was...

Then there's Between The Wheels -

....Wheels can take you around Wheels can cut you down

We can go from boom to bust From dreams to a bowl of dust

We can fall from rockets' red glare Down to "Brother can you spare..."

Another war

Another wasteland

And another lost generation

The Mission -

...Hold your fire Keep it burning bright Hold the flame 'til the dream ignites

A spirit with a vision is a dream With a mission

...it's cold comfort, to the ones without it, to know how they struggled, how they suffered about it; if their lives were exotic and strange, they would likely have gladly exchanged them for something a little more plain, maybe something a little more sane

Freewill -

....You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill I will choose a path that's clear

I will choose freewill

....Each of us A cell of awareness Imperfect and incomplete

Genetic blends With uncertain ends On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet

Resist -

....You can surrender Without a prayer But never really pray

Pray without surrender You can fight Without ever winning But

never ever win Without a fight

There's more but wow, I never realized how many I really do like.

And then there's this from The Pass -

...All of us get lost in the darkness Dreamers learn to steer by the stars

All of us do time in the gutter Dreamers turn to look at the cars

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived