Just finished Bill Bruford autobio...

Turn The Page

QUOTE (Turn The Page @ Oct 31 2009, 06:55 AM)
It gives a not so pleasant view of the other side of the music business that most never see or hear about.

Sometimes that's not such a good thing.

For example, I read this huge biography on the Grateful Dead called "What A Long Strange Trip It's Been." While it was undoubtedly fascinating, it also really showed what extreme turmoil the band and its member experienced throughout much of their career, and in that it was pretty disillusioning. Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I'd rather listen to music and enjoy it and assume it came out of a place of great joy and creativity without knowing all the hardships and horrors of the music industry or the personal lives of the musicians that surrounded it. Ok, I guess I can find that fascinating too, but for me it's a balance...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2009, 07:47 AM)
It gives a not so pleasant view of the other side of the music business that most never see or hear about.

For example, I read this huge biography on the Grateful Dead called "What A Long Strange Trip It's Been." While it was undoubtedly fascinating, it also really showed what extreme turmoil the band and its member experienced throughout much of their career, and in that it was pretty disillusioning. Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I'd rather listen to music and enjoy it and assume it came out of a place of great joy and creativity without knowing all the hardships and horrors of the music industry or the personal lives of the musicians that surrounded it. Ok, I guess I can find that fascinating too, but for me it's a balance...

Well, Bruford's always been pretty critical of Yes. (Maybe it's because he considered himself a jazz guy and was therefore unhappy with the "classical" stuff Yes did.) He has a biting and cynical sense of humor and can be quite funny, but he seldom has a good word to say about the Yes years.

He used to get pissed at the amount of time they'd waste in the studio, debating for hours about "whether it should be D-minor or D#-minor," etc. The rehearsal would be almost over, with Bruford looking forward to "getting out of this interminable hell," and then Squire would pipe up with some new idea at the last minute and cause the rehearsal to run late by three hours. Sometimes Bruford would nod off and when he woke up a few hours later the conversation was still in exactly the same place. Squire in particular was a time-waster in Bruford's eyes, but still Bruford begrudgingly admits the music would get better after Squire's three hour delays.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 19 2009, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2009, 07:47 AM)

Well, Bruford's always been pretty critical of Yes. (Maybe it's because he considered himself a jazz guy and was therefore unhappy with the "classical" stuff Yes did.) He has a biting and cynical sense of humor and can be quite funny, but he seldom has a good word to say about the Yes years.

He used to get pissed at the amount of time they'd waste in the studio, debating for hours about "whether it should be D-minor or D#-minor," etc. The rehearsal would be almost over, with Bruford looking forward to "getting out of this interminable hell," and then Squire would pipe up with some new idea at the last minute and cause the rehearsal to run late by three hours. Sometimes Bruford would nod off and when he woke up a few hours later the conversation was still in exactly the same place. Squire in particular was a time-waster in Bruford's eyes, but still Bruford begrudgingly admits the music would get better after Squire's three hour delays.

Hey, whatever it took for Yes to produce the music they did throughout the 70's and early 80', I'm happy. tongue.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 20 2009, 08:14 AM)
You should hear Bill talk about his time with Yes on the Yes documentary I have. It's hilarious.

BB is a hoot when he gets on that high horse. I actually find it hilarious.

"Yes had this sunny, yellow, diatonic thing with a lot of vocal harmonies happening and it started to creep me out after awhile" - Bill Bruford on leaving Yes and joining King Crimson

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 20 2009, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 20 2009, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 20 2009, 08:14 AM)
You should hear Bill talk about his time with Yes on the Yes documentary I have. It's hilarious.

BB is a hoot when he gets on that high horse. I actually find it hilarious.

"Yes had this sunny, yellow, diatonic thing with a lot of vocal harmonies happening and it started to creep me out after awhile" - Bill Bruford on leaving Yes and joining King Crimson

The reason for Yes's diatonic sound, according to Bill, was that Jon Anderson played only white keys on the piano. Bill put a couple of Jon's fingers on the black keys and said, "Here, play some of these, too. It'll sound great." From then on, Jon would play all white keys OR all black keys... but still never a mix of the two.

QUOTE (Turn The Page @ Oct 31 2009, 08:55 AM)

That is why i think i loved it so much. He told it like it really is, shitty

Edited by metaldad

sounds like a d1ck to me, but my favorite drummer of all time.

Whatever had to happen for them to create what they did was magical. Seems he's contributing to all those drummer jokes.

The discussions were abuot making great MUSIC (!), not that squire was banging wakeman's woman.