Exit Stage Left Cd And Dvd

sdhonda

According to the notes for the Exit Stage Left video edition, all songs on the disc were recorded on March 27th, 1981, in Montreal during the Moving Pictures tour.

The audio editions notes claim that, except for the songs on side 2 (basicly, APTB, CTTH, BBB and JL), all of the tracks were also recorded on March 27th, 1981, in Montreal during the Moving Pictures tour.

Is it just me, or do some of the songs seem... different on each version (the Trees and Xanadu, mainly, at least to my ears)?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 7 2009, 01:57 AM)
The video release was filmed at one show. The audio release is a compilation of different tracks filmed at different shows, even a few on the Permanent Waves tour. Similar to Different Stages.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/albums-exitstageleft.php

As I said, the bulk of the album was recorded during one show. Hell, even the permanant waves stuff was recorded from two back to back shows (and, all of the PW tour tracks are on what would be the second side of the vinyl, unlike being all over the place on DS).

The DVDs liner notes state that it was recorded on March 27 1981, at the Forum in Montreal.

Obviously, Closer to the Heart is a different recording, but all other songs that appear on both of them were recorded at the same event.

Or so it goes.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Oct 7 2009, 12:00 AM)
According to the notes for the Exit Stage Left video edition, all songs on the disc were recorded on March 27th, 1981, in Montreal during the Moving Pictures tour.

The audio editions notes claim that, except for the songs on side 2 (basicly, APTB, CTTH, BBB and JL), all of the tracks were also recorded on March 27th, 1981, in Montreal during the Moving Pictures tour.

Is it just me, or do some of the songs seem... different on each version (the Trees and Xanadu, mainly, at least to my ears)?

The Exit...Stage Left album/CD claims that those other songs were recorded in Canada, not Montreal.

From what I recall, at least some of those other songs, including La Villa Strangiato, were recorded on 3/24/81 in Toronto (might have the exact date wrong)

In the case of La Villa Strangiato, the version that made the album was shortened a little as Alex's intro that night was longer as he noodled quite a bit on it that night.

The only reason this is known is because someone recorded the show that night and you can compare what was changed.

It's been a while since I've listened to that show as I've not upgraded it from tape.

I think the rest of those songs were from the Toronto stand, but having not heard the tape in a while I'm not certain.

Maybe someone with a longer memory or a link to the show online can verify that.

QUOTE (ytserush @ Oct 10 2009, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (sdhonda @ Oct 7 2009, 12:00 AM)

The Exit...Stage Left album/CD claims that those other songs were recorded in Canada, not Montreal.

From what I recall, at least some of those other songs, including La Villa Strangiato, were recorded on 3/24/81 in Toronto (might have the exact date wrong)

In the case of La Villa Strangiato, the version that made the album was shortened a little as Alex's intro that night was longer as he noodled quite a bit on it that night.

The only reason this is known is because someone recorded the show that night and you can compare what was changed.

It's been a while since I've listened to that show as I've not upgraded it from tape.

I think the rest of those songs were from the Toronto stand, but having not heard the tape in a while I'm not certain.

Maybe someone with a longer memory or a link to the show online can verify that.

Here's a link to a few reviews of that show I was talking about in which some of the songs appear to have made it on the Exit...Stage Left album.

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1032

Archived