Burning For Neil

kid glove

After some thought on Neil's influence on modern drummers. I began to think of a time when things such as a death could cause the band to nolonger be. It does happen. I began to think in NP's case. Who would spear head a similar drummer event like the "Burning for Buddy" project that Neil puts together.

Would Ged and Alex be apart of it? Who would be interested in performing? Who would be the real oddball drummer that no one thought would be on stage.... ?

Any thoughts as to who could perfectly master "The Profesors" drum solo on ATWAS.

Whenever the supremely morbid topic of the "Members of Rush Dead Pool" comes up, why is it that everyone's money is always on Neil to be the first one who shuffles off this mortal coil???? sad.gif

On topic, I'm sure Nick Rich would get involved.

I brought it up not as in anyway Neil being the first. It is merely a thought of The Great being honored in a supreme tribute.

"Ladies and gentleman, The Professor on the drum kit"

The Geddy introduction to the solo was epic. I don't recall another drummer being referred to as such a great title. So I thought the topic would be appreciated. Didn't think it would be viewed in a morbid view.

Not even the all power drummer John Bonham has such a high revelence as "The Professor" To listen to Bonham's Mobey Dick is a thunderous experience. His speed and duration is still non equalled. Neil's solos are nearly half the length of MD.

QUOTE (kid glove @ Aug 22 2009, 12:05 AM)
I brought it up not as in anyway Neil being the first. It is merely a thought of The Great being honored in a supreme tribute.

The Geddy introduction to the solo was epic. I don't recall another drummer being referred to as such a great title.

On Buddy Rich Rich In London the MC (I think it is Ronnie Scott himself says, "ladies and gentlemen the world's greatest drummer- Buddy Rich."

Also, the very first words on hears on Carl Palmer Do Ya Wanna Play? Anthology are non other than Buddy himself asking Carl, "Carl wanna play?" which was also recorded at Ronnie Scott's in London when on one of a few occasions when Carl was invited to sit in with Buddy's band. To have Buddy Rich on tape asking you if you want to play in his band is perhaps the highest honor possible for a drummer.

I still don't see the whole Neil Peart/Buddy Rich connection.

QUOTE (kid glove @ Aug 22 2009, 01:05 AM)

The Geddy introduction to the solo was epic. I don't recall another drummer being referred to as such a great title. So I thought the topic would be appreciated. Didn't think it would be viewed in a morbid view.

Not even the all power drummer John Bonham has such a high revelence as "The Professor" To listen to Bonham's Mobey Dick is a thunderous experience. His speed and duration is still non equalled. Neil's solos are nearly half the length of MD.

"The Professor" moniker is not, as is widely assumed, a term of reverence for Neil. Not originally, anyway. Rather, someone in the band noted younger Neil's resemblance to a certain character in "Gilligan's Island".

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 21 2009, 10:31 PM)
Whenever the supremely morbid topic of the "Members of Rush Dead Pool" comes up, why is it that everyone's money is always on Neil to be the first one who shuffles off this mortal coil???? sad.gif 

Because he's the oldest, and isn't age the main for Rush's imminent retirement? pokey.gif biggrin.gif

Although we all know Neil has been great, but he's not really a pioneer. He wasnt doing much more than what other great drummers from bands of their generation were doing.

It could happen because he has influenced a lot of ppl, but Buddy Rich was far more influential across many styles of music. He's actually done quite a bit to change the way many drummers actually play, he kind of helping change the path of drumming as an art, and Neil really hasnt done anything of the sort. He was a great drummer in a great band, not a pioneer.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 22 2009, 09:37 AM)
Although we all know Neil has been great, but he's not really a pioneer. He wasnt doing much more than what other great drummers from bands of their generation were doing.

It could happen because he has influenced a lot of ppl, but Buddy Rich was far more influential across many styles of music. He's actually done quite a bit to change the way many drummers actually play, he kind of helping change the path of drumming as an art, and Neil really hasnt done anything of the sort. He was a great drummer in a great band, not a pioneer.

Ive always wondered myself what exactly it was that Neil brought to the drumming world?..Why was he so revered?..He obviously is great, but why?

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Aug 22 2009, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 22 2009, 09:37 AM)

Ive always wondered myself what exactly it was that Neil brought to the drumming world?..Why was he so revered?..He obviously is great, but why?

Neil is the most organized drummer ever. All of his parts are composed and played exactly the same way almost every single time. I really like this with Rush. It is perfect for them as they are not a "jam band". Same with his solos, although he himself has admitted he is trying to improvise them more.

Neil pioneered inventive ways of sampling, using and mixing acoustic percussion and electronic percussion.

Anyone who thinks he has not been a pioneer in percussion is not seeing everything he has done.

QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Aug 22 2009, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 21 2009, 10:31 PM)

Because he's the oldest, and isn't age the main for Rush's imminent retirement? pokey.gif biggrin.gif

Quoting myself to insert the word "reason".....I think much faster than I type!!! laugh.gif

I don't think of Neil as a Pioneer really.....I did when I was much much younger....however the more I looked around and the more I saw what elee was happening the less I thought of him in this view...I still love Neil but he is not really a Pioneer.

Bozzio and Bruford and Cobham before that did alot with electronics...just as an example.

Neil like Rush has been a good sponge...but not really a Pioneer.

Archived