Model's Memoir

iluvgeddy05

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 1 2009, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 1 2009, 03:03 PM)
http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blog...000000000178948

smile.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You ain't kidding! I might actually have to buy this one, even though I'm not much of a fashion person.

And as for the designer mentioned in the article (Mark Fast, who put some size 10 models on the runway), I will be checking out his line for Topshop.

I was chatting with my next door neighbor the other day about his 5 year old daughter. She's very, very athletic, and they are encouraging her to check out whatever activities interest her and signing her up for lessons here and there. (Not pushing, just letting her explore). Right now she's clamoring for ballet and gymnastics lessons, and he's really reluctant to get her started in either. Both have terrible track records on the body-image front.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 6 2009, 12:44 PM)
I'll let people know if I get my hands on the book..might be a while if I'm too cheap to buy the book myself (as a librarian, I want to use my library!) Not sure if my library ILL's through the Library of Congress doh.gif

In any event, I hope we start seeing models like this more often. She's a true representation of the average woman. I'm not saying get rid of skinny (but healthy) models because, let's face it, women come in all shapes and sizes and some are naturally skinny, or tall, or short, squat, pear shaped, apple, whatever.

Let's celebrate body diversity! cosmo.gif

I'll drink to that!!!! trink39.gif martini_shaken.gif biggrin.gif In the first pic, the model looks like a little girl; in the second one, she appears to be a beautiful WOMAN.........much better!!!! applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Oct 2 2009, 06:48 AM)

I just requested from the library. I think I'll have my teenage daughter read it too as she is already starting to not eat to lose weight.

sad.gif Sorry to hear about your daughter. Being a teen is a tough time; that's when I stopped eating for quite some time and lost a ton of weight.

Please be aware that she might be having some other emotional issues she's trying to deal with, even as simple as just being a teen, and eating control is her way of dealing with it. This doesn't excuse the behavior, but extreme eating and exercise control is more about something else internal than being thin. Getting thin is the distraction to other problems. When I personally relapse it's because there is some other stress going on in my life.

Anyhoos, I got paid today and plan on seeking this book out. Normally I'd go to the library but I think I will want this one on my bookshelf.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 1 2009, 09:46 PM)
And as for the designer mentioned in the article (Mark Fast, who put some size 10 models on the runway), I will be checking out his line for Topshop.

Here is a slideshow of the Mark Fast Ready-To-Wear show for Spring '10. You can see the size 10ish models he uses along with traditional slimmer ones:

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete...S2010RTW-MFAST/

I like how he incorporated different body types throughout instead of just featuring ONE "heavier" model. There have been other fashion shows in the past that have your typical models walking and then BAM! A woman who is a size 20, and just one of her. confused13.gif

The article in Glamour is a few pages long and discusses why models are thin in magazines and how Glamour wants to work with designers that are more generous about their sample sizes.

Sample sizes are sent by designers ahead of season (for example, Spring 2010 samples will probably be sent in the next couple months to be showcased in the spring issues). These sizes are usually made in size 0-4, therefore magazines want models that size to fit into the samples. Glamour claims they want to start working with designers that offer various samples sizes, not just the 0-4 range but clothing in size 10, 16, whatever. The issue is the designer wanting to up their sample size requirements eyesre4.gif To me it's a no brainer to just make a sample in a larger size, sheesh.

Also, the article stresses they don't want to not show the skinny girls either since there are some women out there who are just naturally thin no matter what they eat or how little they exercise. Women are just as hurt being labeled "anorexic" when they are most certainly not, as much as a larger woman being called fat. Showing a diversity of body shapes, sizes, heights, weights and ethnicities is Glamour's goal. So you will still see the really thin models but also curvier, larger ones as well. The point isn't to bash either skinny or "plus" women, or even label them.

Aaaanndd. . .now Ralph Lauren takes things a big step backwards:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/was-...rweight-525248/

Way to go, Ralph & Company. You f'in suck.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 14 2009, 01:25 PM)
Aaaanndd. . .now Ralph Lauren takes things a big step backwards:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/was-...rweight-525248/

Way to go, Ralph & Company. You f'in suck.

That picture is disgusting! She looks like a lollipop, big head, stick for a body 062802puke_prv.gif

I saw Ralph Lauren thing yesterday.

Pretty much, I get that models need to have a certain look to remain in the industry. You get hired for your looks because your looks are your job and if you can't keep up with that, you get dumped. It's how it is.

I get it.

But

once again, it's the designer's perogative to keep making sample sizes smaller and smaller. Why? What pupose does this accomplish? To keep under a size 4, for this model's height, is actually underweight. I makes her BMI hovering around 17 ohmy.gif The industry keeps with wanting to create a fantasy, but for whom? THIS is where the problem is stemming from and I wish designers would open their eyes to see what exists out of high fashion. In this day and age, high fashion is appealing to a broader audience, not just those in Paris, NYC, etc. With the recession, designers are responding with lower-priced lines at places like Target and such. Yet, when it comes to the image, the standard remains the same. To truly change with the tied and reach the masses, the unhealthy and rigid standards need to be revised at best, accepting beauty at ANY size.

I'm also getting tired of the word "fat" being used for anyone over a size 2. Anyone else?

Edited by iluvgeddy05

Also, she had been with RL since she was 15. For her not to be fitting into their samples sizes anymore DOES make sense. A woman should not have the same body at 15 as they do 25 or whatever her age is now. But she's been part of their campaigns for that long and many recognize her as one of the prominent RL models. She's apparently good at selling clothes so couldn't RL work around HER? They act like she weighs 300lbs for crissakes.

I got this book for Christmas and read it in TWO days.

First of all, it was scarily shocking how I felt like I was reading my own memoir. While I wasn't a 16 year old model trying to make it in NYC, the stories of her disordered eating reflected mine in so many ways -- the control aspect especially. For example, she discussed in one part how she was called right before she would take lunch to do a last minute casting call. She freaked out because she would not be able to eat her "lettuce lunch" but it was more than missing the little food she allowed herself -- she wasn't in control of when she would eat either. This haunted me since I not only ate the same thing for lunch everyday (bagel w/ low-cal butter only), but it was always at 11am. Always. Snack was 2:30pm, always, dinner 5pm, always. And when it wasn't, I freaked out. This goes to show that anorexic actions are more than just trying to get skinny -- it's complete and utter control over food.

What I loved most about this memoir was that Renn went into the history of modeling and cultural structure of how thin became "in"; how it correlates with the times (economic hardships for example tends towards more diverse models), and how the fashion industry is one that she not only loves but has serious issues with it as well.

The ending of the book was somewhat strange. She talks about her marriage to her husband in one whole chapter and a sexual awakening that she doesn't quite resolve..

I think everyone should read this, especially if you're feeling bad about your own body. I came out with a new appreciation for it especially.

I requested it from the library and then I didn't get there in time to pick it up. I am sooo far behind on my reading. I've got like 300 pages left of Stephen King's The Dome and that book was due back 12/23. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 14 2010, 11:51 AM)
I remember when Plus Sized meant size 14+ now it's 12+ unsure.gif

Exactly. And according to the article, the average woman in the U.S. is a size 14. Granted, Americans are generally heavy, but still.

I thought it might be okay to post this here...I really don't know who Heidi Montag IS (I've seen her mentioned on "The Soup") but the fact that a very pretty 23 year old had all this surgery ASTOUNDS me.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/133193/HEIDI-MONTAG-PLASTIC-SURGERY-PHOTOS.jpg

Link to article if the above isn't readable: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/14/h...c_n_423855.html

I thought it might be okay to post this here...I really don't know who Heidi Montag IS (I've seen her mentioned on "The Soup") but the fact that a very pretty 23 year old had all this surgery ASTOUNDS me.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/133193/HEIDI-MONTAG-PLASTIC-SURGERY-PHOTOS.jpg

Link to article if the above isn't readable: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/14/h...c_n_423855.html

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 9 2010, 04:58 PM)

She looked better before. Her boobs alone make her look ridiculous now.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 9 2010, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 9 2010, 04:58 PM)

She looked better before. Her boobs alone make her look ridiculous now.

Before is way better, looks like they've ruined her nose, lips and she seems to have lost her natural shape around the hips and waist, and the boobs look like speed balls in a boxing gym...

Talk about stupid.

wacko.gif

What disturbs me more is the fact that someone at 23 would be this insecure and feel the need to do this to advance her career (she wants to be a pop star).

I read an article on people.com that said her mother was hysterical when she saw what her daughter done. Heidi then claimed it was a huge setback in her recovery -- but has no regrets and has never been happier. How can this make anyone happy? Having your family, even your husband, be wary of the surgery and/or alienating you? How can that make someone happy?

She doesn't even LOOK happy in her face.

Jeez...

Apparently Heidi gave a GMA interview: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainment/he...tory?id=9610622

Some notable quotes:

Reality-tv star Montag, 23, has been in hiding since the operations in November only to re-emerge with a "tweaked" face and body, amid controversy about what she had done. Critics accused her of being addicted to the knife.

"I would say that none of those people know me at all," Montag told "Good Morning America." "And that's just a judgment. I'm not addicted."

"The Hills" star said she had surgeries done three years ago as well, but that the intervening procedure-free time proved she was not addicted.

"If you're addicted to something, you have to do it all the time, not once every couple years, if even," she said.

If even... ??? <sigh>

Despite criticism from fans who said she looked like a "Barbie," Montag said she likes her new look.

"I hope I get my own Barbie one day," Montag said. But she said she doesn't feel like a Barbie.

"I think I just look like a different, improved version of myself," she said.

Uh huh. Okay then.

Montag said she wanted her admirers to know that beauty is on the inside but seemed to realize how her surgeries could undercut that message.

Ya think? wacko.gif