Introducing friends to Rush

Moonraker

QUOTE (2112babe @ Sep 11 2004, 08:57 PM)
Thanks for the welcome.
My 5 year olds favorite is Coldfire and my 10 year olds is Resits and YYZ.

I love seeing the kids get into Rush instead of that other stuff that's out there.
If nothing else, we gave our kids the best tasted in Music!! biggrin.gif

yes.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 11 2004, 04:39 PM)
My wife has been "forced" to listen to Rush for 15 years, but this year I made her first Rush mix CD and she loves it now (been 6 months in her car). Here is what I put on it:

The Pass
Time Stand Still
Half The World
Presto
Losing It
Subdivisions
Limelight
Cold Fire
Everyday Glory
Nobody's Hero
Mission
Different Strings
Ghost Of A Chance
Bravado
The Analog Kid

I am ready to make a second one, so any suggestions, let me know smile.gif

Thanks dude those are good ones!!

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 13 2008, 01:24 AM)
Whoever recently started that thread on converting friends to Rush should have searched first, because this one already existed. Why start a new thread when you can revive one that hasn't been posted to in 3 1/2 years. sarcasm.gif

Why try to prove that point by acting like an idiot and bumping 4 year old posts up the page? You're not being witty.

My best friend in Lockport (different from my two in Chicago, one who I go to the Rush shows with) was a big fan of older music. For about six months I shoved Rush down his throat and he couldn't stand it. Matter of fact, on a bet in May I forced him to listen to as many Rush songs as he could on my iPod for 50 minutes (a class period), and he hated that.

He plays bass, though. I sent him some of Ged's best bass songs and he told me "I actually want to get into them, could you let me borrow something?" sometime around December. I let him borrow the R30 DVD as well as Different Stages. I figure Rush is one of the best live bands ever I'd expose him to that first.

Today, he tells me he wants to learn the entire Cygnus X-1: Book I on bass. I was so proud that I was able to convert such a close-minded person onto this band. He really likes them now, and his favorite song is "Driven."

It's essentially the only conversion I've been able to make, but then again, coming from Lockport, he's the only serious music fan I could think of who could actually appreciate them.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 12 2008, 09:25 PM)
Whoever recently started that thread on converting friends to Rush should have searched first, because this one already existed. Why start a new thread when you can revive one that hasn't been posted to in 3 1/2 years.  sarcasm.gif

Why try to prove that point by acting like an idiot and bumping 4 year old posts up the page? You're not being witty.

I'm not trying to be witty, nor am I being an idiot. I'm using plain ole logic to illustrate a point.

It seems some people don't want threads started about topics that have already been discussed. So from now on maybe new and non-regular posters shouldn't try to start new threads, but rather post in threads where their intended topic was first discussed. Isn't that what this beathorse.gif crowd wants?

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 12 2008, 08:36 PM)
Whoever recently started that thread on converting friends to Rush should have searched first, because this one already existed. Why start a new thread when you can revive one that hasn't been posted to in 3 1/2 years.  sarcasm.gif

I'm not trying to be witty, nor am I being an idiot. I'm using plain ole logic to illustrate a point.

It seems some people don't want threads started about topics that have already been discussed. So from now on maybe new and non-regular posters shouldn't try to start new threads, but rather post in threads where their intended topic was first discussed. Isn't that what this beathorse.gif crowd wants?

Are you a moderator? If not, let the people post threads they want to! You're seemingly the only one who has a problem, and trust me, when these fans have issues with threads, they WILL be vocal about it.

Need I remind you of my friend here? beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 13 2008, 01:36 AM)

Then perhaps once you've finished clogging up the front page of the forum you'd like to go back here and debate the topic like the grown up you're supposed to be since all you've done so far is prove how childish you can be, confuse a bunch of people including myself and make the frontpage look like shit. Congratulations.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 12 2008, 09:40 PM)

Then perhaps once you've finished clogging up the front page of the forum you'd like to go back here and debate the topic like the grown up you're supposed to be since all you've done so far is prove how childish you can be, confuse a bunch of people including myself and make the frontpage look like shit. Congratulations.

I may be being childish, but not moreso than these beathorse.gif people.

Why am I clogging up the front page? Those threads I posted to were all of interest to me. I was going to start my own "who's from Canada" thread but then someone would come along with this beathorse.gif since the topic had already been posted, I decided to play it safe and post in the first thread I could find with my topic.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 12 2008, 08:51 PM)

Why am I clogging up the front page? Those threads I posted to were all of interest to me. I was going to start my own "who's from Canada" thread but then someone would come along with this beathorse.gif since the topic had already been posted, I decided to play it safe and post in the first thread I could find with my topic.

I think you have the wrong idea. I seriously doubt ANYONE would have given the horse icon if you started a "Who's From Canada" thread...

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 13 2008, 01:51 AM)

You bitch and moan about the use of the beating a dead horse image yet you've used it more than anyone in this thread so far.

I stick by my original assumption, you were trying to be funny and prove how lame an idea it is to use the search function. You are doing very little to convince any one of any point you were trying to make.

Regarding the "Anyone Else From Canada" thread you need to use your judgement it's quite clear that is not an over-covered topic as is "Your Ideal Setlist" for example

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 12 2008, 09:56 PM)

You bitch and moan about the use of the beating a dead horse image yet you've used it more than anyone in this thread so far.

I stick by my original assumption, you were trying to be funny and prove how lame an idea it is to use the search function. You are doing very little to convince any one of any point you were trying to make.

And may I reiterate that I was NOT trying to be funny. Reread any of my posts. Not once have I used this beathorse.gif to put down another member (the implied intent) for deigning to start a thread for a topic that has already been done (to death in some instances).

It's not like the board is a hive of activity and important/interesting topics are getting bumped down quickly. If someone wants to post something that's already been done, so what?

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 13 2008, 02:16 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 12 2008, 09:56 PM)

And may I reiterate that I was NOT trying to be funny. Reread any of my posts. Not once have I used this beathorse.gif to put down another member (the implied intent) for deigning to start a thread for a topic that has already been done (to death in some instances).

It's not like the board is a hive of activity and important/interesting topics are getting bumped down quickly. If someone wants to post something that's already been done, so what?

Like I said it's all about judgement and you're failing to use yours here. If there's a topic on the first page of a board and another is started stating/asking the exact same thing it does get frustrating however bumping topics nearly as old as the forum itself is ridiculous.

As far as the forum being "a hive of activity" without important or interesting topics I would suggest either you start some instead of making the situation even worst or find somewhere you do find interesting.

Almost every roommate and every girlfriend I ever had started out either coldly indifferent to Rush or completely despising them.

Now that is fine by me - especially the roommate part so I'd never press the issue to try and force anyone to like something.

I've found though that over time, with bits if inevitable exposure to Rush that people really tend to warm up to the band... I just jotted down some quick numbers and I figure out of the top 10 most significant roommates and ladies in my life the last few years that seven of them honestly really did get into Rush - some quite heavily whereas 3 of them were very much not into Rush at all.

That doesn't include both my younger siblings who are both very much into Rush now and join me for just about every Rush concert in Toronto the last decade or so.

70 percent ain't bad! I guess people are just really blessed to be so strongly acquainted to me - they mostly end the day with a nice little affection for Rush's music.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 13 2008, 08:43 AM)
Like I said it's all about judgement and you're failing to use yours here. If there's a topic on the first page of a board and another is started stating/asking the exact same thing it does get frustrating however bumping topics nearly as old as the forum itself is ridiculous.

As far as the forum being "a hive of activity" without important or interesting topics I would suggest either you start some instead of making the situation even worst or find somewhere you do find interesting.

If you don't like the idea of older threads being revived then maybe you should suggest to the mods to close off threads that haven't been posted in after, say, a year.

I'm not the one who has a problem with redundant posts or with a slow board. If people are unhappy with similar threads then maybe they should start a topic rather than simply doing this beathorse.gif which then helps bump up the supposedly offending post.

Or maybe they should be the ones to find somewhere else more interesting since it seems (I could be wrong) that posters who spend more time here (post-wise) are also more likely to come along and do this beathorse.gif .

Please, Please, PLEASE, no more fighting. thank you.

I converted a friend about 6 months ago. I really needed someone to go to a concert with, and the person I went with before didn't really like rush and was kind of a drag. I couldn't get any of my other friends into rush either.

But then one of my friends (who is a drummer) finally acquiesced and let me burn him a CD. Now he likes Rush and goes to concerts with me smile.gif Too bad I cant get him to listen to anything after Signals...

Thread revival. Sorry, seen this thread the other day and is something I'm doing at the moment.

A friend of mine (whom shares a similar taste in music to myself) kept pestering me for some new music/bands to listen to. I have shown him a couple of songs from the Rush in Rio DVD before a night out on the town, but he wasn't too overly phased at the time. That was over a year ago.

Anyhow I recently sent him the link to Caravan and registered his interest enough to do a search on the band and send me a message asking what album to listen to.

As he is much like me, coming from a grunge/metal/alt rock background I was reluctant to give him just one album (though 2112 sprung to mind).

So I said, hold up and I'll make you a few CD's so you can get a guage of the breadth of genres Rush covers.

I ended up putting 4 CD's together. The first 3 covering what I consider the 'saga's' of Rush:

-1974 - 1978 Finding Their Way

-1980 - 1988 Enter The Synth

-1989 - 2007 Back To Roots

and the 4th being a compilation from the R30 gigs.

Man it was tough omitting some key songs, but good fun putting the compilations together. I did up a quick blurb for each album and song, saying why I included it and the background behind the song. It is a fast-paced but worthy journey through the bands discography.

I'll upload my track list later - but played the first CD in the car on the way to work today - two words came to mind - shit-hot

I've tried in vain over the years to turn my friends on to Rush, but they never get into them. One of them says "the music is cool, but I can't stand that guy's voice".

I did partially convert one friend, although he remains a casual fan only interested in the "hits" like Tom Sawyer, TSOR, Freewill, and Limelight.

I've actually gotten one of my friends to listen to 2112 because I ranted and raved about it and he trusts my music judgement. He really likes the song and the rest of the album is ok he says. I gave him La Villa Strangiato to listen to and...well he hated it (blasphemy! laugh.gif ). Hes not an 'instrumental' type guy so I guess you could say hes a casual fan.

I've introduced three of my friends to Rush, though only one of them has been to a Rush show with me, which was the first Rush show either of us had been to. (He has also bought a few Rush albums on his own, and has a Snakes poster in his room, so he's definitely the most "hardcore" of the three.) None of these three friends are near the Rush fan that I am, which I'm perfectly okay with. Besides, while Rush are my favorite band, they are definitely not the only thing I listen to, so it's not like I'm unable to discuss mutual favorite groups with my friends.

I must say, though, it's still nice to be able to talk about Rush with someone IRL... not that I don't like you guys or anything laugh.gif

Archived