The Knife Thread

southernjim

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Sep 13 2009, 02:26 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10ljA0-sHs

Hey Jimmeh why didn't you tell me that you were gonna be starring in your very own movie? ohmy.gif

Southernjim is Machete!

Actually machetes are cool.. I have one myself. smile.gif 1287.gif

I love Danny Trejo! I saw that trailer forever ago, and forgot about it... I want a big coat like that, with blade compartments and such.

I'm not even a little bit mexican though...

sad.gif your all warped,these are deadly weapons not trinkets!

if you wanna run around waving knives around join the army and go fight the taliban.

Anybody living in britain reading this thread will be disgusted at the glorification of knives and guns,at one time knife and gun crime in britain was almost unheard of but now its almost epidemic and young people are dying on our streets on a regular basis because everybody wants to be the next rambo. b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (southernjim @ Sep 18 2009, 06:24 PM)
Neat stuff, Jack! How's the sharpener work?

Click the link and it'll take you to the home page which has a video that demonstrates it.

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 19 2009, 02:16 AM)
if you wanna run around waving knives around join the army and go fight the taliban.
Anybody living in britain reading this thread will be disgusted at the glorification of knives and guns,at one time knife and gun crime in britain was almost unheard of but now its almost epidemic and young people are dying on our streets on a regular basis because everybody wants to be the next rambo. b_sigh.gif

Only a warped idiot would assume that we are all "running around waving knives". If you want to have a girlish pants-pissing fear of knives that's your business, but we really don't want to hear about it. So do us a favor and shut the f*ck up. Thanks and have a great day! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (southernjim @ Sep 19 2009, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 18 2009, 06:18 PM)
love my Swiss Army Knife with a built in usb-key.

Get a pic of it when i get a chance

I've seen those, but always wondered if they'd hold any actual memory. Does it work?

It's not a whole lot - think 512MB.

It has a flashlight too if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 19 2009, 07:29 AM)

I've seen those, but always wondered if they'd hold any actual memory. Does it work?

I have a deep and abiding affection for Swiss Army knives and I've owned several through the years and I think everyone should invest the money for one of the midrange models and keep it in their car or truck. I didn't know they now had a model that featured a USB key. That's very geeky-cool! yes.gif laugh.gif

Here's a good knife tip: if you're going to be using your knife for pretty much anything in the field, make sure your knife handle has a hole for a lanyard (in fact, never buy a knife unless it does) and then get yourself some 550 parachute cord (always make sure it's 550 cord and not the cheap junk [O para cord! How I do love thee! laugh.gif] ) and put a wrist-strap on it. I once watched a friend who was using a knife to cut some lengths of garden hose for chafing gear for some cables he was tying around a tree so it would stand upright. Even though he was paying careful attention, he still dropped the knife and it stuck in his boot point-down. Fortunately, it only penetrated his foot enough to make a tiny cut, but it would have been a lot worse had he have been wearing sneakers. Not to mention that his boot was ruined.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 19 2009, 08:35 AM)

I have a deep and abiding affection for Swiss Army knives and I've owned several through the years and I think everyone should invest the money for one of the midrange models and keep it in their car or truck. I didn't know they now had a model that featured a USB key. That's very geeky-cool! yes.gif laugh.gif

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/barney_rebel/swiss.jpg

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 19 2009, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 19 2009, 08:35 AM)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/barney_rebel/swiss.jpg

Awesome! Simply awesome! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Make sure you keep that blade sharp, it could save your behind in an emergency!

Here's something else that's a good investment:

http://www.toollogic.com/images/Glam-Main-CC1SB.jpg

It's the Toollogic Credit Card Companion. They cost 25 bucks which is cheap so if you see one, get it! I have an olive-drab Dockers Outback style hat which has a built-in pocket under the top of the hat. In that pocket I have stashed a Toollogic card and 10 feet of para cord.

I also have a custom job - necklace with a cross, inside the cross is a knife. I bought it off a street vendor.

Back in my college days when I used to go clubbing, I got threatened once, so I used to wear that when I went out clubbing. I'll see if I can dig it up.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 19 2009, 09:45 AM)
I also have a custom job - necklace with a cross, inside the cross is a knife.  I bought it off a street vendor.

Back in my college days when I used to go clubbing, I got threatened once, so I used to wear that when I went out clubbing.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

If you're looking for a good neck knife, get a Cold Steel Spike. I have the Talon. It's a great knife and it's easily concealed. I took the chain off of the sheath and replaced it with a long loop of para cord so I can carry it with the blade under my arm shoulder-holster style instead of just around my neck. Of course, I don't advocate carrying a knife concealed as it is highly illegal. It serves as my back-up when I'm in the wild and carrying it like that keeps it out of the way.

Edit: really, any Cold Steel knife is a good investment, they make a Hell of a great knife and their prices are very reasonable. After you're through checking out the Spike knives, click over to their home page and check out the other stuff they have to offer. My main woods knife is the Cold Steel GI Tanto. It's rough and tough and built to take it and the best part is that it only costs 40 bucks! If you go to Knife Tests.com, you can watch a video wherein the GI Tanto out-performs a 200 dollar S.O.G. knife! That's what convinced me to buy the GI Tanto. After buying the knife, I learned that the hand grips are removeable so you can lash it to a stick to make a spear! Super cool.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 19 2009, 10:56 AM)
I also have a custom job - necklace with a cross, inside the cross is a knife.  I bought it off a street vendor.

Back in my college days when I used to go clubbing, I got threatened once, so I used to wear that when I went out clubbing.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

If you're looking for a good neck knife, get a Cold Steel Spike. I have the Talon. It's a great knife and it's easily concealed. I took the chain off of the sheath and replaced it with a long loop of para cord so I can carry it with the blade under my arm shoulder-holster style instead of just around my neck. Of course, I don't advocate carrying a knife concealed as it is highly illegal. It serves as my back-up when I'm in the wild and carrying it like that keeps it out of the way.

Hey that guy kind of looks like Tick.

Here's a quick snapshot of that knife.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/barney_rebel/cross.jpg

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 19 2009, 09:59 AM)

Fancy! yes.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 19 2009, 09:59 AM)

He sure does! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 19 2009, 06:21 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Sep 19 2009, 02:16 AM)

Only a warped idiot would assume that we are all "running around waving knives". If you want to have a girlish pants-pissing fear of knives that's your business, but we really don't want to hear about it. So do us a favor and shut the f*ck up. Thanks and have a great day! biggrin.gif

I like to wave this one in particular

http://budk.com/images/500/19BK1455.jpg

I also ordered a neck knife Barney, nto quite as fancy as yours, but a little easier to access.

http://budk.com/images/500/17XL1227.jpg

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 19 2009, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (The Gangster of Boats @ Aug 9 2009, 11:20 PM)
If you want a katana, and have the money, the Masamune family is still making them.  You should not expect a quick turnaround on the order, and have a bunch of cash.  You will get a piece of art that is nearly perfect, and can cut a person in half.

oops.gif hey jack,this clown talks about cutting people in half !!

thats gotta hurt doh.gif

You're mistake is that you're assuming that we are just a bunch of knife-wielding maniacs walking around and looking for someone to kill. Nothing could be further from the truth as we are responsible knife users. Yes it's true that there are people who commit crimes with knives and that's unfortunate, but there are also people who kill with other objects. Pretty much anything with some weight to it can become a weapon in the wrong hands. To us, knives are primarily tools. They can be used as weapons, but that should only happen when all other options have been exhausted.

Your other mistake is in calling Gangster of Boats a "clown". He just might take offense at that and I wouldn't blame him if he did.

You should try to avoid making such assumptions in the future as it only makes you look like a f*cking idiot. Judging by the threads you've started in the main forum, such as "Geddy sounds like he has a heart murmur" or "Does Geddy wear false teeth", I'd say that it fits your profile.

Now shut the f*ck up, go seek professional help for your girlish fear of knives, and let us enjoy our knife thread.

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 19 2009, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 16 2009, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (missionman @ Aug 14 2009, 11:50 PM)
Didn't the knife become obsolete as soon as the gun was invented?

Are you serious? Hell no, knives are always useful. In fact, real men don't leave the house unless they're carrying a knife or multi-tool.

z7shysterical.gif for fukcs sake !

Here's a challenge to you if you think you can handle it. Get a small folding knife, say with a two or three inch blade, and carry it with you everywhere you go. You'll be surprised at how often you use it and wonder how you've gotten along so far without carrying one. Can you do that? Can you man up and try it, Mary?

QUOTE (southernjim @ Sep 19 2009, 12:53 PM)

I also ordered a neck knife Barney, nto quite as fancy as yours, but a little easier to access.

Is that a switchblade? Those are pretty neat and I've owned a couple through the years. In my state, South Carolina, it's legal to own a switchblade if you only have one arm. I've always thought that was pretty practical.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 19 2009, 06:18 AM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Sep 18 2009, 06:24 PM)
Neat stuff, Jack! How's the sharpener work?

Click the link and it'll take you to the home page which has a video that demonstrates it.

I saw that, but didn't know how well it worked, as in how long the edge stayed, how sharp the edge actually was, etc.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 19 2009, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Sep 19 2009, 12:53 PM)

Is that a switchblade? Those are pretty neat and I've owned a couple through the years. In my state, South Carolina, it's legal to own a switchblade if you only have one arm. I've always thought that was pretty practical.

Nope, stiletto folder. Looks great, well built, especially for the price.

http://knives.budk.com/search?t=ss&w=rebel...&offer=&x=0&y=0

Rebel Edge is good stuff so far. I ordered the Tribal Skull, and Tribal Mask ones