Bigelf

The Owl

Okay... I know one of the replacment bands for the Prog Nation 09 already has a thread... so I thought I'd talk about the band that is taking Pain of Salvation's place at prognation09.

Gearing up for the concert I decided to purchase one of the albums by this band... the latest one "Cheat the Gallows"

THIS BAND IS AMAZING! The first listen through was very great..

Bigelf is a remarkably unique band as well... they have their own distinct sound.. and a lovely mix of influences.. There is a metal influence, a prog influence, and even a Glam influence..

If I were to describe this band it would be a mix of Black Sabbath, David Bowie, and Genesis... very good.

Has anyone else checked out this band?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 20 2009, 02:05 PM)
Okay... I know one of the replacment bands for the Prog Nation 09 already has a thread... so I thought I'd talk about the band that is taking Pain of Salvation's place at prognation09.

Gearing up for the concert I decided to purchase one of the albums by this band... the latest one "Cheat the Gallows" 

THIS BAND IS AMAZING!  The first listen through was very great..

Bigelf is a remarkably unique band as well... they have their own distinct sound.. and a lovely mix of influences..  There is a metal influence, a prog influence, and even a Glam influence..

If I were to describe this band it would be a mix of Black Sabbath, David Bowie, and Genesis... very good.

Has anyone else checked out this band?

Owl, I am so thrilled that you started this!!!

I ADORE these kids - - I can't say enough about them - - ask TICK!!! Ask Mrs. Tick, I was utterly GLOWING!!!

Yep on the Bowie, but I hear more Deep Purple, Doors, even a touch of Iron Butterfly. Then I hear Pink Floyd, harmonies that harkin' back to The Who and even a little Elton John.

But this is no copycat throw-back to the 70's band. BigElf represents a modern combination of psychedelic proggie classic rock with a decidedly Gothic texture.

And they're wonderful young men!!! I spent a lot of time with them last night in CT - - skipped out on Zappa just to do so!!!

I'll write a full report shortly - - have to wait for the man to upload, download - - all around town-load the BigElf pics first.

They sold out of CD's last night. Newbury Comics has sold out down here. This band is HOT!!!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Okay OWL!!!! How 'bout "psychedelic progressive metal"????

Yep, the more I listen to the two albums we bought Wednesday night, the more I can understand the Sabbath influence. Subtle - - but it's there!!!

I've been nursing my wounded heart (T & I can't go with Tick to NYC like I wanted to sad.gif ) by playing with Wednesday night's pics and I remembered that I needed to put Bigelf here!!!

As I reported in the Dream Theater thread, Bigelf brought back memories of a long-ago-heard musical style fused in an original and modern way. T & I rarely entrench this quickly into a catalog - - but we were hooked on the first song we heard in Boston.

We purchased two cd's when we saw Prog 09 again in CT, Hex and the new Cheat the Gallows. Hex is good; Cheat the Gallows is AMAZING!!!

Wonderously original lyrics - - politically and spiritually charged!!!

Like I told the guys when we met up with them - - I have literally waited DECADES for this band. drool1.gif

I mean, when's the last time you heard a mellotron??!!?? In fact most of their equipment is vintage, especially exciting were the old drums!!! And "VINTAGE" is the key word to also describe their look, their stage presence, their clothes, and (can I talk about it again and again?!?!? . . . ) their HAIR!!!!

Sooooooooo, here are a few pics (excuse the fussies - - the Bigelf psychedelic lightshow messed with Tortoise's camera!):

Here's frontman, Damon Fox . . . he writes the lyrics, masters keyboards and vocals . . . and has exquisitely distinguished eyeliner!!!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03279.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03284.jpg

. . . and Damon in his famous tophat!!!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03287.jpg

More to come . . .

Hare biggrin.gif

Bigelf pics from PROG NATION 09 Wednesday, August 5th, Connecticut

continuing . . .

Ace Mark from Finland on guitar:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03280.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03282.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03288.jpg

Duffy Snowhill, also from Helsinki, on bass, sporting delectible dreads!!!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03272.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03274.jpg

More to come . . .

Hare biggrin.gif

Bigelf pics from PROG NATION 09 Wednesday, August 5th, Connecticut

continuing . . .

Tortoise ALWAYS has trouble with the drum shots!!!!

But I got a GREAT one!!! blush4.gif

This is drummer "Froth" Frothingham, who very kindly introduced himself to me as "Steve"!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03292c.jpg

We were VERY priviledged to be able to talk to all four guys in this L.A. based band. I just had to compliment their talents, their style, and their mission. T & I waited a while, hanging with Bigelf, for the new cases of CD's to come out to the lobby from backstage because they sold out so fast. While we waited I was paying close attention to the band's interaction with the legions of young fans firing questions at the guys.

As a mentor of delicate teenage souls myself, I am always observant of the way entertainers and professionals talk to enthusiastic young fans - - who are excited, hyper, and quick to fire a strange assortment of questions.

The guys in Bigelf were extraordinarily kind, attentive, respectful and responsive to the kids bombarding them for signatures and such. I was extremely impressed!!!!! They seemed to genuinely be having a fun time of the whole scene!!! They have WONDROUS energy!!!!! wink.gif

They were also very gracious and sweet to a little old rocker granny like myself - - I was bouncing around like a star-struck fourteen year old that night!!! (Man, did that feel good!!! tongue.gif ) We got to spend time with all the guys, but I was doing so much talking, we didn't get as many pics as I had wished.

Here's another one Tortoise took of Duffy after I bombarded his eardrums with 70's memories:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/Tortoise-and-Hare/Prog%20Nation%20CT/BIGELF/DSC03290.jpg

ps - - THANK YOU FINLAND!!!!!

pps - - Did I mention that I love their abrupt change-ups and their sound and their lyrics and their clothes and their HAIR?!?

laugh.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Holy Crap!!!

T & I have spent the evening with the HEX CD - - OMG!!!!!!

GOOSEBUMPS GALORE!!!

1022.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 8 2009, 06:45 PM)
Holy Crap!!!

GOOSEBUMPS GALORE!!!

1022.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

I bought "Hex" at the show when I went... I still prefer the latest CD better, "Cheat the Gallows"... fantastic album.

Did you pick that one up as well?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 8 2009, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 8 2009, 06:45 PM)
Holy Crap!!!

GOOSEBUMPS GALORE!!!

1022.gif

Hare  biggrin.gif

I bought "Hex" at the show when I went... I still prefer the latest CD better, "Cheat the Gallows"... fantastic album.

Did you pick that one up as well?

Yep, yep, yep!!!! Cheat the Gallows is my favorite, too!!!!

GOOD STUFF!!!

Wish we could go with Tick to NYC tonight to see them again!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

bumper.gif

To repeat what I posted in Tick's Dream Theater thread . . .

If you're in the Western part of the country, PROG 09 is THE tour to see this year!!!

yes.gif

Bigelf is my favorite of the opening bands. The whole PROG 09 evening is MAGIC!!!!!

1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

I myself preferred the youngsters in the instrumental band Scale the Summit. Bigelf was a little too much into "showmanship," specifically the vocalist/keyboardist, his tophat, and his thing for unnecessarily playing two keyboards when one could easily handle the simplicity of what he's playing. Standing between two keyboards and fingering both was all gimmickry. Bigelf was definitely my least favorite of the four bands on the tour.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 09:46 AM)
I myself preferred the youngsters in the instrumental band Scale the Summit. Bigelf was a little too much into "showmanship," specifically the vocalist/keyboardist, his tophat, and his thing for unnecessarily playing two keyboards when one could easily handle the simplicity of what he's playing. Standing between two keyboards and fingering both was all gimmickry. Bigelf was definitely my least favorite of the four bands on the tour.

Precisely my thoughts on them as well.

The music was alright I guess, kind of a nice vintage throwback to Gentle Giant & Yes...

Other than that, the rest of the bands were/are far better IMO.

Standing between two keyboards and fingering both . . .

Geez, you made my heart skip a beat . . . I found this comment WICKED exciting!!! blush4.gif

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate Bigelf as much as we all did in my family.

What you found a bit annoying, in fact, is what I LOVED about Bigelf!!! The showmanship was superb!!! Not overdone at all, IMO! Really unique and exciting!!!

STS was soooooooooooooooooo boring to us. We were polite, in appreciation of their technical abilities - - but I felt like I was hearing background music at a political rally! There was nothing to draw us in. THEY NEED A VOCALIST preferably one with eyeliner, a cape, and a tophat!!! tongue.gif

pokey.gif

rofl3.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 18 2009, 10:19 AM)
I myself preferred the youngsters in the instrumental band Scale the Summit.  Bigelf was a little too much into "showmanship," specifically the vocalist/keyboardist, his tophat, and his thing for unnecessarily playing two keyboards when one could easily handle the simplicity of what he's playing.  Standing between two keyboards and fingering both was all gimmickry.  Bigelf was definitely my least favorite of the four bands on the tour.

Geez, you made my heart skip a beat . . . I found this comment WICKED exciting!!! blush4.gif

What you found a bit annoying, in fact, is what I LOVED about Bigelf!!! The showmanship was superb!!! Not overdone at all, IMO! Really unique and exciting!!!

STS was soooooooooooooooooo boring to us. We were polite, in appreciation of their technical abilities - - but I felt like I was hearing background music at a political rally! There was nothing to draw us in. THEY NEED A VOCALIST preferably one with eyeliner, a cape, and a tophat!!! tongue.gif

pokey.gif

rofl3.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Hey, to each his own. With Prog, I feel the focus should be on the music and its technical difficulty, not showy gimmicks. Prog Haters call our music "pretentious" and such unnecessary displays of theatrics don't help. It reminds me of when Chris Squire (one of my musical heroes actually) whips out his triple-neck bass. Triple neck??? Is that necessary for playing the song??? Somehow, I doubt it. Squire only has two hands. It was really just an ostentatious display of "Hey, look how cool and complicated my equipment is! And you thought double necks were cool!"

I loved Scale the Summit. They began playing while we were still finding our seats; I heard their music and stole the occassional glance at the stage and thought, "Oh yeah, we're in good hands tonight!" And I also think a vocalist might ruin what they have going.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 10:24 AM)
I myself preferred the youngsters in the instrumental band Scale the Summit.  Bigelf was a little too much into "showmanship," specifically the vocalist/keyboardist, his tophat, and his thing for unnecessarily playing two keyboards when one could easily handle the simplicity of what he's playing.  Standing between two keyboards and fingering both was all gimmickry.  Bigelf was definitely my least favorite of the four bands on the tour.

pokey.gif

rofl3.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Hey, to each his own. With Prog, I feel the focus should be on the music and its technical difficulty, not showy gimmicks. Prog Haters call our music "pretentious" and such unnecessary displays of theatrics don't help. It reminds me of when Chris Squire (one of my musical heroes actually) whips out his triple-neck bass. Triple neck??? Is that necessary for playing the song??? Somehow, I doubt it. Squire only has two hands. It was really just an ostentatious display of "Hey, look how cool and complicated my equipment is! And you thought double necks were cool!"

I loved Scale the Summit. They began playing while we were still finding our seats; I heard their music and stole the occassional glance at the stage and thought, "Oh yeah, we're in good hands tonight!" And I also think a vocalist might ruin what they have going.

That is without a doubt one of the best analogies I have ever read..

Okay perhaps the dual keyboard was not nessissary, and was a gimmick... so what the guy played well... I enjoyed the music very much... though where I was standing I was right beside the bass player's amp and did not get a good balance of sound..

But the 2 studio albums I have I enjoy very much, and I found these guys very entertaining.

music.gif Money . . . it's pure evil . . . it changes . . . changes people . . . music.gif

LOVE THESE GUYS!!!!

It would be sooooooooooooo cool if Portnoy brings them back to open in the spring!!!

Just dreamin'!!! wub.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 18 2009, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 10:24 AM)

pokey.gif

rofl3.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

That is without a doubt one of the best analogies I have ever read..

blush4.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 26 2009, 11:43 AM)
in the keyboardists defense, both of those keyboards looked ancient to me, like they were made in the 70's or even earlier. maybe thats why he needed two??

One of them was an OLD Mellotron as well..........

I think the setup was unique... If you look at any Big time keyboard/synth player they usually have more than one board with them....

Usually they go with an L-Shaped setup... so this guy wants to do something unique and sing at the same time...

It was very cool

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 5 2010, 02:50 AM)
Just listened to "Cheat the Gallows" again today........

Great freaking album! IF you told me this album came out in 1974 I would have believed you.

Like I said . . . I thought someone had transported me back to high school!!!!! I stood in awe!!!! I must've bruised Jay's thigh cause I kept punchin' him sideways!!!!

Even their warm-hearted temperament is soooooooooooooo much as mellow as their mellotron!

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!!

I'm hoping BIGELF comes back sometime soon. They are finishing up with Dream Theater in South America. Then, just yesterday we learned what DT will be busy with!!!!!!! 1022.gif PINCH ME - - I still can't believe it!!! Sooooooo I'm hoping that Bigelf will show up on another schedule! And with RUSH rumors floating around . . . this summer could be an historical whirlwind!!!!

trink39.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Archived