The Beatles' Remastered Discography

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to Best Buy yesterday to get them, so I went tonight, & they only had 3 copies of Revolver left!

But I grabbed the album for sure, since it's my favorite Beatles rekkid.

Next time I go, I'll be sure to get Rubber Soul and Abbey Road.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Sep 10 2009, 08:26 PM)
I bought every album from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road yesterday...

These are so amazing!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif They sound great!

I'm buying the rest of them when i get paid tomorrow biggrin.gif

Ahh, shouldve been patient and gotten the box! The packaging is well worth it if you're gonna have all the albums anyways. Even though the mono packaging is apparently better the stereo box is still sexy

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 10 2009, 05:11 PM)
Don't be surprised if A Hard Day's Night climbs further up in my rankings over the next few months.

Wow!

Timing is everything!

Listening to this album right now!! I think it sounds totally FAB!!

Also gave "Beatles For Sale" a spin tonight! Great stuff.

This band RULES!!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 10 2009, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Sep 10 2009, 08:26 PM)
I bought every album from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road yesterday...

These are so amazing!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif They sound great!

I'm buying the rest of them when i get paid tomorrow biggrin.gif

Ahh, shouldve been patient and gotten the box! The packaging is well worth it if you're gonna have all the albums anyways. Even though the mono packaging is apparently better the stereo box is still sexy

The mono box does not have better packaging, I'm sorry. I've never understood the the whole thing of replicating vinyl artwork on the CD format. The whole point of vinyl is that the cover art is bigger and you can hang it up on the wall. If you have the choice between a 4.5-inch CD case that's an exact replica of a vinyl sleeve that was made at the time when people didn't put any thought into this stuff and basically sold LPs as "two singles and ten filler tracks" or a nicely put-together digipak with liner essays and extra photos, like the stereo ones are? I know which one I'd take.

The morning after the day before. Threw on Past Masters Disc 2 in the car. There's no doubt what we were hearing years ago was aural shite, but the songs were great and we didn't know any better.

We Can Work It Out just soars.

One thing though is very clear. Paul is the man.

I'm MORE a fan of Rubber Soul onward, but I'm going to start and get them in order up to RS...that way I don't get fat and happy and make excuses to not get the earlier stuff later.

I'd buy the box right now, but I'm having tat work done and it's eating up my cash. But that's ok. I'll buy a couple at a time over the next 6 weeks or so. That's fun too!

Glad to read these comments. smile.gif I'm excited.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 11 2009, 01:34 PM)
I'm MORE a fan of Rubber Soul onward...

This is exactly how I have always felt, HOWEVER, the new warmth, depth and fullness applied to even the earliest work has me positively mesmerized.

Regarding RS & on: The White Album and Abbey Road are especially improved by the spectacular remastering.

And finally, my favorite Fab Four song is "For No One". I bought the box, got into the car, and played it first. What a joy it was to hear it in this form, with Paul's bassline fully audible!

QUOTE (job @ Sep 11 2009, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 11 2009, 01:34 PM)
I'm MORE a fan of Rubber Soul onward...

This is exactly how I have always felt, HOWEVER, the new warmth, depth and fullness applied to even the earliest work has me positively mesmerized.

Regarding RS & on: The White Album and Abbey Road are especially improved by the spectacular remastering.

And finally, my favorite Fab Four song is "For No One". I bought the box, got into the car, and played it first. What a joy it was to hear it in this form, with Paul's bassline fully audible!

Then I'm even MORE stoked to start with the early stuff.

Sadly the only pre-RS album I have is the debut, Please Please Me...and I love it. Just never got around to With The Beatles, Help, Beatles For Sale, etc....(and yet I probably know 3/4 of the songs just the same).

I'm reading this Beatles book by their former sound engineer and it's really got me revisiting their earliest stuff:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bUbfn1agL._SS500_.jpg

Tell me if I'm way out of line here but I've always felt that Sgt. Pepper's is a notch slightly below their other work. Like, I get that it was the most important album to come out in the 1960s for a lot of reasons, and I don't argue any of that, but I just don't think the songs themselves are as good or the album is as consistent as a lot of their other albums, earlier and later.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 11 2009, 11:13 AM)
I'm reading this Beatles book by their former sound engineer and it's really got me revisiting their earliest stuff:

I want to read that, I'll definitely pick up a copy if I see one somewhere. Probably when I get back to Eugene next week I'll hit up this little used shop by campus that has a good selection. The other Beatles book I really want to read because it's considered one of the best if not the best, is Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald.

The best Beatles book I've ever read is The Beatles: The Biography by Bob Spitz, which came out a few years ago. It's so in-depth that Ringo doesn't even join the band until about 300 pages in. I have two more sitting on my shelf that I've bought and haven't got around to reading yet, both of which I've heard very good things about: Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America by Jonathan Gould and John Lennon: The Life by Phillip Norman.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 11 2009, 02:24 PM)
Tell me if I'm way out of line here but I've always felt that Sgt. Pepper's is a notch slightly below their other work. Like, I get that it was the most important album to come out in the 1960s for a lot of reasons, and I don't argue any of that, but I just don't think the songs themselves are as good or the album is as consistent as a lot of their other albums, earlier and later.

Yes, Pepper is overrated. Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and The White Album are all better if measured by strength of songwriting.

Edited by job

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 11 2009, 03:24 PM)

Sgt. Pepper's is the Beatles' OK Computer!

It's still a fantastic listen, if only for "She's Leaving Home" and "A Day in the Life".

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 11 2009, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 11 2009, 11:13 AM)

I want to read that, I'll definitely pick up a copy if I see one somewhere. Probably when I get back to Eugene next week I'll hit up this little used shop by campus that has a good selection. The other Beatles book I really want to read because it's considered one of the best if not the best, is Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald.

The best Beatles book I've ever read is The Beatles: The Biography by Bob Spitz, which came out a few years ago. It's so in-depth that Ringo doesn't even join the band until about 300 pages in. I have two more sitting on my shelf that I've bought and haven't got around to reading yet, both of which I've heard very good things about: Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America by Jonathan Gould and John Lennon: The Life by Phillip Norman.

Many thanks...!!!

This book by the sound engineer is really great. How freakin' cool to be working with the band at age 18..!!!!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2009, 01:22 AM)
Here's a serious question:

Why is "It's All Too Much" not consistently talked about as one of the best Beatles songs ever? It's easily in the top 5 for George songs.

Because George songs always seem to get the shaft!

I always loved that song. Again, listen to Ringo's drumming. Not bad, eh?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 12 2009, 06:21 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 12 2009, 01:22 AM)
Here's a serious question:

Why is "It's All Too Much" not consistently talked about as one of the best Beatles songs ever? It's easily in the top 5 for George songs.

Because George songs always seem to get the shaft!

I always loved that song. Again, listen to Ringo's drumming. Not bad, eh?

Now that we have remasters of their stuff where the drums sound good and you can hear what Ringo is doing, I don't ever want to hear anybody make the argument that Ringo sucks again.

He's the clear winner of this project.