High-speed jets of matter escape from Cygnus X-1

mulletst0rm

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 9 2009, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jun 9 2009, 08:53 PM)
Oh my god, this is sad.

We need a tour, and a new f***ing album.

The whispering winds wallow wildly with want, wait and wuthering.

When will we wake up with a wonderful wew Wush wecord.

Wove,

Elmer Fudd

Ran out of rhymes and so resorted to Mel Blanc references eh?

Willy, Willy Wunderful! laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 9 2009, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jun 8 2009, 07:38 PM)
The proof has been known and confirmed for some time, same goes for "Exo-Planets", both gas giants, and "terrestrial" types.

Ive read up a lot on this stuff. There is no confirmation of what a black hole is or what it's actually doing. This is common knowledge. All we see is their effect on objects around them, but if something is invisible, like a black hole, its pretty impossible to know what it really is.

It's all just theories, none of which will be proven to a certainty anytime soon.

When you look at it that way, you could pretty much say that about everything out there that can't be studied up close. I guess I should have said that these things have been confirmed according to the best information and observations available.

Cygnus X-1 is probably my favorite Rush 'epic' song of the '70s.

When I was a kid, I really liked Disney's 'The Black Hole' film. The plot of it is pretty close to the songs.

BTW, someone on YouTube put together a really awesome video to the song using footage from 'Contact' and 'The Black Hole'.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 11 2009, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 10 2009, 09:55 PM)
Couldn't find it.......dangit.

That is something I would LOVE to see.

Here you go:

yes.gif

Obviously a labor of love. 1022.gif The video was very impressive, but I'm curious about when and where the audio was recorded??? Somewhere on the AFTK tour would be my guess...

QUOTE (mulletst0rm @ Jun 8 2009, 12:34 AM)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

An expanding nebula caused by jets of matter emanating from Cygnus X-1 seems to show that perhaps more matter is expelled from the area of the black hole than crosses the event horizon to be consumed by the collapsed star.

What this means is that Roscinante and its captain would have been pulverized by a stream of matter traveling at relativistic speeds, and been largely ejected from the area of the black hole, rather than travel through time and space to ancient Greece to play mediator between the gods of love and reason.

Discuss.

Buzzkill.....

popcorn.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 10 2009, 12:39 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jun 9 2009, 03:02 PM)
Discuss.

Should have used Red Matter. It does everything.

I prefer DARK MATTER.

What does it matter anyway?

Sincerely,

PORCUPINE TREE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibbler_(Futurama)

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

An expanding nebula caused by jets of matter emanating from Cygnus X-1 seems to show that perhaps more matter is expelled from the area of the black hole than crosses the event horizon to be consumed by the collapsed star.

What this means is that Roscinante and its captain would have been pulverized by a stream of matter traveling at relativistic speeds, and been largely ejected from the area of the black hole, rather than travel through time and space to ancient Greece to play mediator between the gods of love and reason.

Discuss.

Awwww.... fists crying.gif

Gonna tick alot of people off, but I think Cygnus X-1 is cheesy and Spinal Tap - ish. Like the concert scene in Spinal Tap where the midgets are dancing around the mini Stonehedge, I have visions of midgets disappearing into black holes. Other than the opening bass riff which is pretty cool, the rest of the song is just way too over the top. Guess I didn't do enough 'mind enhancement' in my youth. wacko.gif

Archived