The History Channel

Mara

Or re-addicted. Lately there have been some excellent new shows, such as the "After People" series. The computer-generated imagery is excellent.

Any other fans? I know some people call it the Hitler-Rama Network, but I love this station.

There's just such a variety of stuff on this station. A l'il warfare, a l'il science, a dose of religious history. And now there's History International. . .

I've even gotten hooked on "Modern Marvels", though I am not at all of an engineering inclination.

I gotta admit I enjoy watching all of the WWII/Hitler stuff. The shows feature interviews from German soldiers and civilians during the Nazi regime, and it is a unique perspective. I DVR'd the special that aired last night on Project Valkyrie. I am guessing it will be a touch more accurate than the movie with Tom Cruise.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ May 18 2009, 08:58 AM)
There's just such a variety of stuff on this station.  A l'il warfare, a l'il science, a dose of religious history.  And now there's History International. . .

I've even gotten hooked on "Modern Marvels", though I am not at all of an engineering inclination.

I gotta admit I enjoy watching all of the WWII/Hitler stuff.  The shows feature interviews from German soldiers and civilians during the Nazi regime, and it is a unique perspective.  I DVR'd the special that aired last night on Project Valkyrie.  I am guessing it will be a touch more accurate than the movie with Tom Cruise.

The History Channel frequently comes out with pertinent documentaries whenever a significant historical movie is released. The one they did on 300 was released on DVD with the movie.

I saw that documentary (Valkyrie) before I saw the movie. I thought the move was very accurate. I only wished it would have gone into the aftermath of the July 20 conspiracy more and show what happened to the family members of the conspirators.

My son's history teacher let them watch a WW2 movie for extra credit but she wouldn't let them see Valkyrie because she said it didn't really happen. laugh.gif My son didn't argue with her, but he had seen the History Channel doc and knew better.

I love the History Channel! The only thing I don't care for is all the paranormal/UFO stuff. That's not history IMO.

edit: When you watch the documentary, notice how much the real guy (Claus von Stauffenberg) looks like Tom Cruise.

Edited by workingcinderellaman

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ May 18 2009, 10:48 AM)
There's just such a variety of stuff on this station.  A l'il warfare, a l'il science, a dose of religious history.  And now there's History International. . .

I gotta admit I enjoy watching all of the WWII/Hitler stuff.  The shows feature interviews from German soldiers and civilians during the Nazi regime, and it is a unique perspective.  I DVR'd the special that aired last night on Project Valkyrie.  I am guessing it will be a touch more accurate than the movie with Tom Cruise.

The History Channel frequently comes out with pertinent documentaries whenever a significant historical movie is released. The one they did on 300 was released on DVD with the movie.

I saw that documentary (Valkyrie) before I saw the movie. I thought the move was very accurate. I only wished it would have gone into the aftermath of the July 20 conspiracy more and show what happened to the family members of the conspirators.

My son's history teacher let them watch a WW2 movie for extra credit but she wouldn't let them see Valkyrie because she said it didn't really happen. laugh.gif My son didn't argue with her, but he had seen the History Channel doc and knew better.

I love the History Channel! The only thing I don't care for is all the paranormal/UFO stuff. That's not history IMO.

edit: When you watch the documentary, notice how much the real guy (Claus von Stauffenberg) looks like Tom Cruise.

Agreed. They can lose 'UFO Hunters' and 'Monsterquest' and I wouldn't cry. 'Monsterquest' isn't bad when it focuses on real animals like the giant squid, but when it focuses on fairy tales like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster (both of which have been debunked countless times) I feel that their airtime could be devoted to something better.

History Channel, History International, the Science Channel, and the Military Channel. I love all of 'em. The Discovery Channel is OK for MythBusters but other than that it's turning into the "watch people work" channel.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 19 2009, 05:11 AM)
The Discovery Channel is OK for MythBusters but other than that it's turning into the "watch people work" channel.

True, but OMG, I still can't give up American Chopper and Mega-Builders was utterly fascinating...HARD ROCK PARK, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina!! Shame they went bankrupt upon later research sad.gif Reopening this very weekend as Freestyle Music Park ohmy.gif Wonder if any from here will be going?? common001.gif trink36.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 18 2009, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ May 18 2009, 10:48 AM)

Agreed. They can lose 'UFO Hunters' and 'Monsterquest' and I wouldn't cry. 'Monsterquest' isn't bad when it focuses on real animals like the giant squid, but when it focuses on fairy tales like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster (both of which have been debunked countless times) I feel that their airtime could be devoted to something better.

History Channel, History International, the Science Channel, and the Military Channel. I love all of 'em. The Discovery Channel is OK for MythBusters but other than that it's turning into the "watch people work" channel.

Yeah, I tend to skip over and see what's on Nat. Geo. or Discovery when all the UFO garbage starts.

Being the space program junkie that I am, I also love NASA TV just prior to and during missions. They gear it more towards grade school kids sometimes, but there are often some really interesting features.