Single Malt Scotch Fans

ghostworks

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 17 2012, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 17 2012, 03:50 AM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 15 2012, 11:35 PM)
One of my Christmas presents from my wonderful bride, Sunny.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/skopetski/Christmas/100_6764.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/skopetski/Christmas/100_6762.jpg

What a lovely box-set! How fabulous is Sunny??!?!?

How's the Cragganmore? The 12 used to be heavenly, but the last expression I tried was a poor facsimile of it's brilliant heyday.

No house should be without the mighty Lag 16 and Talisker 10. The Talisker 10 is still the best Talisker. Their Distiller Editions are too sherry infused and you lose a lot of that lovely smokiness.

Slainte!

She is awesome.

I liked the Craggenmore the best of the three. It had a much different flavor. The others had a salty/spicy finish that I wasn't terribly fond of. I tried an Islay at a party and wasn't too fond of it either. I think my taste buds prefer the Highland distillations.

I've heard that so many times before. The Lagavulin is an Islay, also.

Just wait. I didn't like the smokey/peatyness of Islays at first either... but it grows on you, like a mold. Sooner or later, you will succumb to the Islay Virus and crave a glass of that type of malt whisky more than any other taste in the word.

Just wait.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 17 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 17 2012, 02:26 PM)

How's the Cragganmore? The 12 used to be heavenly, but the last expression I tried was a poor facsimile of it's brilliant heyday.

No house should be without the mighty Lag 16 and Talisker 10. The Talisker 10 is still the best Talisker. Their Distiller Editions are too sherry infused and you lose a lot of that lovely smokiness.

Slainte!

She is awesome.

I liked the Craggenmore the best of the three. It had a much different flavor. The others had a salty/spicy finish that I wasn't terribly fond of. I tried an Islay at a party and wasn't too fond of it either. I think my taste buds prefer the Highland distillations.

Try any Old Pulteney, it's an "island" highland, comes from the tiny island of Wick.

I've yet to meet an Old Pulteney I didn't like.

Nice to know the Cragganmore is tasting well.

ohmy.gif

Wick is definitely not an island. It is very much on the mainland.

QUOTE (BaldiePete @ Jan 17 2012, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 17 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 17 2012, 02:26 PM)

Slainte!

She is awesome.

Try any Old Pulteney, it's an "island" highland, comes from the tiny island of Wick.

I've yet to meet an Old Pulteney I didn't like.

Nice to know the Cragganmore is tasting well.

ohmy.gif

Wick is definitely not an island. It is very much on the mainland.

Apologies. You're right. D'oh, etc....

For some reason I had it out in the Shetlands somewhere.

Well folks,

Have you sampled anything wonderful recently.

I see the wonderful people at Laphroaig have released the Laphroaig PX.

A Laphroaig matured in Pedro Ximenez casks. Will try and get a bottle when I'm in a duty-free.

I'm suspicious of sherry infused Islays....they lose so much smoke and salt, it's nearly a crime.

f**k it, it is a crime.

I just received a 35cl bottle of Glenfiddich.

It was a freebie from Glenfiddich for inviting someone to join their newsletter email list.

It came in a presentation box, and has a personalised label detailing the friendship between me and the person invited.

The person invited was my girlfriend, and I am hoping the other bottle turns up for her.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 4 2012, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Apr 30 2012, 05:41 PM)
Price alert. Lagavulin at Costco $51.99.

Yowsa, if wasn't for the cost of a transatlantic flight, I'd be over there!!!

Great price! Buy lots!

^ just remember: it is absolutely not the same Lag that you would buy at a proper liquor store

(doesn't mean it won't be good, just be aware...)

^ for reference (below):

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 15 2012, 10:56 PM)

just FYI

Costco/Joe's /Sam's Club buy their own casks from the distilleries and bottle them themselves

the casks are subjected to wild fluctuations in humidity and temperature that would never be tolerated at a distillery

so, Costco Lagavulin ≠ liquor store Lagavulin (etc)

now... that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy them (especially if they taste good), just remember they're not analogous  trink39.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 2 2012, 08:30 AM)
Well folks,

A Laphroaig matured in Pedro Ximenez casks. Will try and get a bottle when I'm in a duty-free.

I'm suspicious of sherry infused Islays....they lose so much smoke and salt, it's nearly a crime.

f**k it, it is a crime.

I tried the PX at a recent tasting (over 200 distilleries... mind-boggling assortment) and did not like what the sherry did with that beautiful smoke and salt air I've become accustomed to with my favorite Laphroaig's

the Laphroaig Triple Wood fared no better for me, personally (also a sherry-cask finish)

it smacks a little of trendy band-wagoning (not something Laphroaig is known for) and I think Laphroaig ought to concentrate on what they do best - great Islay Scotch

and don't get me wrong - I love what sherry does for the Macallan, Glenfarclas and Glenmorangie

As a little update to my above post, my neighbour has just brought round a package that was delivered while we were out.

Another bottle of (free) Glenfiddich. smile.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 2 2012, 08:30 AM)
Well folks,

f**k it, it is a crime.

I tried the PX at a recent tasting (over 200 distilleries... mind-boggling assortment) and did not like what the sherry did with that beautiful smoke and salt air I've become accustomed to with my favorite Laphroaig's

the Laphroaig Triple Wood fared no better for me, personally (also a sherry-cask finish)

it smacks a little of trendy band-wagoning (not something Laphroaig is known for) and I think Laphroaig ought to concentrate on what they do best - great Islay Scotch

and don't get me wrong - I love what sherry does for the Macallan, Glenfarclas and Glenmorangie

Yeah, there are some lovely sherry influenced ones out there, but yeah, leave the Islays alone!!!

The Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban(finished in port pipes) is out of this world. Not sherry, but grape-influenced nonetheless.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 07:47 PM)

That's my fear...still, I'll be in two duty frees over the weekend, I'll pick one up, for the curiosity factor alone!

QUOTE (metallithrax @ May 9 2012, 03:36 PM)

It was a freebie from Glenfiddich for inviting someone to join their newsletter email list.

It came in a presentation box, and has a personalised label detailing the friendship between me and the person invited.

The person invited was my girlfriend, and I am hoping the other bottle turns up for her.

I signed up for the email newletter today. I didn't see anything about a free bottle. Do you have to live in the UK?

QUOTE (Digital Man @ May 10 2012, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (metallithrax @ May 9 2012, 03:36 PM)

I signed up for the email newletter today. I didn't see anything about a free bottle. Do you have to live in the UK?

Not sure, but it was a promotion that is not running now.

Hopefully it will run again in the future.

You don't receive many emails (1 or 2 per month) so spam isn't a problem.

A few images:

http://i.imgur.com/87XaW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Gtnhj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KVMj7.jpg

Edited by metallithrax

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 4 2012, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Apr 30 2012, 05:41 PM)
Price alert. Lagavulin at Costco $51.99.

Yowsa, if wasn't for the cost of a transatlantic flight, I'd be over there!!!

Great price! Buy lots!

^ just remember: it is absolutely not the same Lag that you would buy at a proper liquor store

(doesn't mean it won't be good, just be aware...)

Costco DOES do that for certain items (Macallan for one) but they add a "Kirkland" label for all the items they do that with, clearly different than the regular label, legally they have to.

The Lagavulin is the real deal, not a Kirkland-hybrid.

Wow, this topic needs a good dusting down. Lots of cobwebs in here.

Power's 12 John's Lane Release just might be the greatest Irish whiskey in the world today. All that pot still sweetness and spice. Mmmmmm.

Update: On my 6th.....home measures, feeling no pain. Slainte.