Single Malt Scotch Fans

ghostworks

went to an american bourbon tasting and i said fu and brought the macallan. i freaked out when we tasted it but remembered u need to add some h2o. smoked some nice cigars and there were some hot lesbians pounding whiskey all night

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 4 2010, 12:56 AM)
went to an american bourbon tasting and i said fu and brought the macallan. i freaked out when we tasted it but remembered u need to add some h2o. smoked some nice cigars and there were some hot lesbians pounding whiskey all night

Whiskey.

Cigars.

Lesbians.

That's all I read.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 25 2010, 07:32 AM)
As a Friend of Laphroaig, every so often the distillery releases a limited edition batch to their "Friends".

The latest Laphroaig "Cairdeas"(Gaelic for friends) is a humdinger of an animal. It's a mix of 11, 15, 17 and 19yr old bourbon and hogshead casks and rows in at a palette numbing 57.3%.

Funnily enough, tasted neat there is not the fire one would expect. Very warming, but no running to the tap. Citrus and pepper notes abound. The strange thing is there is very little smoke initially, and then long after you've swallowed after a good swilling, wisps of smoke appear and linger long after you've finished the glass.

Another Laphroaig stonker. If I lived on Islay, I'd be dead now.

I recently attended a Laphroaig tasting (phenomenal if a little short) and after the tasting was over we were all encouraged to become 'Friends Of Laphroaig' via the website.

As you may know, when you join, you are granted a lifetime lease on a square foot of Islay.

I received my certificate last week. trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 4 2010, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 25 2010, 07:32 AM)
As a Friend of Laphroaig, every so often the distillery releases a limited edition batch to their "Friends".

The latest Laphroaig "Cairdeas"(Gaelic for friends) is a humdinger of an animal. It's a mix of 11, 15, 17 and 19yr old bourbon and hogshead casks and rows in at a palette numbing 57.3%.

Funnily enough, tasted neat there is not the fire one would expect. Very warming, but no running to the tap. Citrus and pepper notes abound. The strange thing is there is very little smoke initially, and then long after you've swallowed after a good swilling, wisps of smoke appear and linger long after you've finished the glass.

Another Laphroaig stonker. If I lived on Islay, I'd be dead now.

I recently attended a Laphroaig tasting (phenomenal if a little short) and after the tasting was over we were all encouraged to become 'Friends Of Laphroaig' via the website.

As you may know, when you join, you are granted a lifetime lease on a square foot of Islay.

I received my certificate last week. trink39.gif

Failte mo chara!!!!

From Plot Number 404176.

If you ever get a chance to visit the distillery, and even better, put on some wellies and go and see your plot, you will be in heaven.

Every so often, I like to treat myself to a bottle of a Japanese Single Malt called The Yamazaki.

http://www.antennamag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/yamazaki12y_exp.jpg

It's a very dry single malt, and while it lacks the smokey flavor of most scotch, it adds really nice hints of orange and honey, with a great fruity sweet aroma. When I first tried it, I was afraid to go to such a 'foreign' single malt, but its differences are phenomenal. I highly recommend you give it a try!

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Oct 4 2010, 11:43 PM)
Every so often, I like to treat myself to a bottle of a Japanese Single Malt called The Yamazaki.

http://www.antennamag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/yamazaki12y_exp.jpg

It's a very dry single malt, and while it lacks the smokey flavor of most scotch, it adds really nice hints of orange and honey, with a great fruity sweet aroma. When I first tried it, I was afraid to go to such a 'foreign' single malt, but its differences are phenomenal. I highly recommend you give it a try!

I have half a bottle of this sublime spirit left. A beautiful whiskey.

Glenfiddich 18 year. very smooth. I also like to get Auchtentoshen (sp?)once in a while. When I am not feeling like I have money (usually) I get a middle shelf single malt aged 36 months or so.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 9 2010, 03:55 AM)
Glenfiddich 18 year. very smooth. I also like to get Auchtentoshen (sp?)once in a while. When I am not feeling like I have money (usually) I get a middle shelf single malt aged 36 months or so.

The 18 is a lovely dram. Very sweet. The jewel in the Glen crown.

Auchentoshen make some great whiskies. I drained my last bottle a while back. Need to reinvest.

I'm a big fan of the Auchentoshan Classic (their baseline expression)

it's clean, light, and I particularly enjoy it chilled (with a single small cube)

it's a fun single malt to drink with dinner - rosemary grilled chicken and sweet potato planks are mild enough to pair wonderfully (the Auchentoshan is easy to overwhelm, so stay away from spicy/bold food with this one)

of course, enjoyed neat all on it's own right when you get home from work is a treat as well

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/p-1987/auchentoshan-classic-whisky.jpg

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 13 2010, 02:49 AM)
(right now) dipping into my first Balvenie 15 in a long time...

good lord!

A splendid dram!!! When I was in the US in 08 I purchased a bottle of this at an insanely cheap price. It did not last long. The Balvenie Goldencask is worth looking out for, it's finished off in rum casks, gorgeous. And if you can get a bottle of the Signature Cask, you won't regret it.

The jewel in the crown is the 21 yr PortWood. A monster.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2010, 08:48 AM)

good lord!

A splendid dram!!! When I was in the US in 08 I purchased a bottle of this at an insanely cheap price. It did not last long. The Balvenie Goldencask is worth looking out for, it's finished off in rum casks, gorgeous. And if you can get a bottle of the Signature Cask, you won't regret it.

I was at a liquor store yesterday with an astonishing single malt inventory (I wish it weren't so far away) and a-a-a-a-lmost pulled the trigger on a Balvenie 14 Caribbean Rum Cask...

I did see the Balvenie 21 Port Wood as well (I think it was under $120.00 USD - just... wow)

I also looked at a 40 year old Glenfarclas (kept in a locked case) and almost fainted wink.gif

I finally decided on the Glenrothes Select Reserve, for two reasons:

1. I had purchased a Glenrothes sampler months ago and finally got around to tasting it last week *

* and it's phenomenal - a slightly 'round' vanilla note and a pleasantly viscous finish that 'toffees up' and out at the end - makes me want to enjoy it outside around the fire pit

2. it was on sale trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Nov 15 2010, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2010, 08:48 AM)

good lord!

I was at a liquor store yesterday with an astonishing single malt inventory (I wish it weren't so far away) and a-a-a-a-lmost pulled the trigger on a Balvenie 14 Caribbean Rum Cask...

I did see the Balvenie 21 Port Wood as well (I think it was under $120.00 USD - just... wow)

I also looked at a 40 year old Glenfarclas (kept in a locked case) and almost fainted wink.gif

I finally decided on the Glenrothes Select Reserve, for two reasons:

1. I had purchased a Glenrothes sampler months ago and finally got around to tasting it last week *

* and it's phenomenal - a slightly 'round' vanilla note and a pleasantly viscous finish that 'toffees up' and out at the end - makes me want to enjoy it outside around the fire pit

2. it was on sale trink39.gif

I have the Glenrothes Select. It's OK, it's grown on me over the years.

I was happy to find out last week that the Glenfiddich 18 Ancient Reserve is 'back'!

I first tried the 18 Ancient at a tasting hosted by the distributor (William Grant & Sons) in 2006 - it was so wonderful that I bought a bottle the next day (despite the $80 price tag.)

It was quickly bought up, and disappeared from the retail stores within months.

I've still got a few glasses of that original bottle (now transferred to a smaller bottle to keep the 'air' out wink.gif ) - but I won't have to nurse it now.

(* makes note: buy more than one bottle of Ancient Reserve this time)

Glenfiddich. Usually my favorite around the holidays. They boast that it was first bottled on Christmas day. Right now, I have a bit of the 18 year old.

I've viewed this forum often, but just joined when I came across this thread

RUSH + Scotch!

What a combination

Just finished a bottle of Lisborn, which I'd never seen before. It's an inexpensive Speyside, <than $20 that is...don't think I'd purchase it again though

I've been sampling lots of the lesser expensive brands that one can sit & sip neatly without breaking the bank...I much prefer sipping single malts to "I get home at five o'clock and take myself out a nice cold beer" like I used to or sipping red wine

I also just purchased my first bottle of Lagavulin 16, but only because I got a little Christmas cash...this whiskey, which I have sampled before in a restaurant, is elegant, if that makes any sense...this is for special occasions if I can control myself...built a fire outside & cracked open this baby New Year's Eve...magnificent...the ultimate as far as my tastebuds know

Anything from Islay is my preference

My mainstay is Laphroig 10yr or Quarter Cask...dying to try Cask Strength but I can't ever find it..may have to order it I guess

Now I need to read all of everyone's comments before mine

Guess I'll get started

QUOTE (keywe @ Jan 2 2011, 04:03 PM)
I've viewed this forum often, but just joined when I came across this thread

RUSH + Scotch!

What a combination

Just finished a bottle of Lisborn, which I'd never seen before. It's an inexpensive Speyside, <than $20 that is...don't think I'd purchase it again though

I've been sampling lots of the lesser expensive brands that one can sit & sip neatly without breaking the bank...I much prefer sipping single malts to "I get home at five o'clock and take myself out a nice cold beer" like I used to or sipping red wine

I also just purchased my first bottle of Lagavulin 16, but only because I got a little Christmas cash...this whiskey, which I have sampled before in a restaurant, is elegant, if that makes any sense...this is for special occasions if I can control myself...built a fire outside & cracked open this baby New Year's Eve...magnificent...the ultimate as far as my tastebuds know

Anything from Islay is my preference

My mainstay is Laphroig 10yr or Quarter Cask...dying to try Cask Strength but I can't ever find it..may have to order it I guess

Now I need to read all of everyone's comments before mine

Guess I'll get started

Welcome to the Whisky club keywe. The Lag 16 is tremendous. I toured the Lagavulin distillery a year ago, a wonderful tour, even had a drink of the fermented wort(beer)...quite incredible.

The Laphroaig range is the bedrock of my collection, I have:

The 10

Quarter Cask

Triple Wood(strangely beautiful, almost a tobacco vibe off it, crazy whisky)

Cairdeas

Cask Strength

Cask Strength is incredible, it still manages to retain the sweetness of the 10, but by God it packs a punch, but it doesn't need much, or any, water. Some cask strengths are so fiery, they need a good dampening, but not this one. Another distillery worth visiting, actually, they all are.

The most incredible thing about the Islays is the terroir, the rain & sea spray lashing into the empty barrels, the turf for the fires, the sub sea level cellars, the island streams.......a heavenly mix you can taste in every glass.

I need to return to Islay.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 26 2009, 07:37 PM)
http://connosr.com/image/2/220/300/5/uploads/bottles/P-7066.jpg

Did serious damage to a bottle of this on New Year's Eve. Thanks to the port finish it is the ultimate after dinner whisky. Glorious.