Single Malt Scotch Fans

ghostworks

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gov @ Apr 12 2009, 05:18 AM)
Try some Old Pulteney 12 for a real maritime treat!

Recently took ownership of a bottle of Old Pulteney cask strength Isabella Fortuna WK 499(it's a boat).

Amazing. Will post a tasting note. Now, back to the Lag 12!

So.

I'm hosting a Scotch tasting and it's spiraled out of control... a little.

Originally, the guest list was five (six including me) and I envisioned four courses paired with four appropriate Scotches.

I sent out invites. Then, a relative announced he would be in town for a rare visit - of course, we could set an extra place for him. Next, another guest misread my invitation and RSVP'd as a couple (his girlfriend is great and a big Scotch fan, but the idea was to keep this small). Finally, I sent an invitation across the country to another relative as a sign of respect (I didn't expect him to come - at all) only to have him confirm.

Right.

That's now nine total at the table.

The good news: it's going to be a great night with great personalities, and I'm looking forward to introducing them to some great Scotch - plus, the menu pairing is coming along well - and yes, the 'research and development' it's taken to find the pairings has been fun.

The bad news: nine people x four courses x four Scotches = $$$ - I'm certainly not going to wash plates or glasses between courses, and paper cups and plates aren't acceptable - so, that's 36 plates for the food, 36 glasses for the Scotch, 9 glasses for water, 2 pitchers for water, nine sets of silverware, 9 linen napkins, over-sized tablecloth... good lord - even though I've found some amazing deals, I'm spending a small fortune.

Even with small tasting glasses and modest pours, serving a round of nine pretty much empties a 750ml bottle.

With these on tap (not completely confirmed):

Glenfarclas 10

> $49

Caol Ila 12

> $54

Talisker 1992

> $63

Macallan 18

> $140

...right, that's almost $250 in Scotch alone. Plus, let's not forget the cost of food!

I've confirmed the Caol Ila 12 (a recent favorite) paired with sundried tomato turkey meatloaf over cinnamon honey sweet potato planks.

The opener (stuffed mini portobello mushrooms) also work wonderfully with the Caol Ila 12, but I've recently aquired a Glenfarclas 10 I think will work equally as well.

The second dish and dessert are still in flux; I have visions of mako shark skewers with cherry tomatoes over rice, and yesterday I picked up slices of carrot cake, mocha chocolate layer cake and a cappucino cheesecake to try and pair with an older Scotch for the 'big finish'.

I've got six days to figure it all out.

Now: a few guests have offered to bring a bottle of Scotch to the dinner (which is great) but the full bottles I have (Glenfarclas and Caol Ila) are of course the cheapest - it'd be quite a 'gift' to ask someone to try and find a 1992 Talisker or cough up for an 18 Macallan.

So this week's tasks: taste some more of my 'reasonably priced' Scotch with the undecided courses and rearrange my dining room/living room to accommodate the table/Scotch station.

In retrospect, I think corporate sponsorship would've been a good idea.

smile.gif

UPDATE:

The party was phenomenal. Really, it couldn't have gone better.

Some last-minute changes to the menu surprised me, but were well-received. Some Scotch just fought with certain menu items and vice versa. I had to trust the Scotch and the food, and I'm glad I did.

First Course

> Applewood maple sausage tartlets with basil and mozzarella served on a plate drizzled with real Vermont maple syrup

> Macallan Fine Oak 10

Tried every permutation of fillings for the thin fillo dough tartlets. Note: neither pesto or granny smith apples work with Scotch (at least not the Scotches I tried) - oof

The sausage tartlets were OK with the Glenfarclas 10, but I tried the Fine Oak 10 for comparison and it blew me away. The first clean sip, followed by a bite of the slightly dry, spicy tartlet worked remarkably well. The second sip soaked up that dry feeling - really, a thirst-quenching Scotch without the heavy presence of an older vintage.

Only two other guests at the table had ever tried the Fine Oak 10, so it was nice to introduce it that way.

[...only have a few minutes, TBC later!]

My wife is away in Dublin this weekend with instructions to get me a bottle of Clynelish at the "duty free" shop at the airport. I've only ever had one bottle of it before and that was at least five years ago. My recollection is that it was moderately smoky with a definite briny finish.

Happy Easter!

I enjoyed almost the entire bottle of The Dalmore 12 with a friend this weekend.

I'm typically good for three decent drams, max.

For some reason, the strong note of orange peel and the faint vanilla vibe made The Dalmore irresistible to both of us. After two nice drams each before dinner, we were ready to continue drinking it through the meal. After cleaning up, we couldn't say no to a further dram or two. We almost emptied the bottle...

[and we weren't plastered - and we had no hangovers whatsoever the next morning - impressed!]

Also unusual: we drank the Dalmore neat all night. I typically like a little water or ice (opens up most of the single malts I like wonderfully).

We tried our first Dalmore neat, the next with water. The water accentuated the orange peel and spice notes, but took away too much of the deep 'ride' that was so addictive to the finish.

At under $50 USD, it's not a 'cheap' single malt, but considering how much fun we had with it, a great value.

Five/five stars, people!

Caramel. Yuk! Why, oh why do so many whisky manufacturers have to add so much of this muck to their spirit. I had a glass of Kilkerrin Work In Progress(5 yr) last night. Oh God. So promising, there's a lovely fire to it and a hint of peat. Then, caramel; everywhere. From nose to finish.

I know it's added to guarantee colour consistency, but some distillers are adding in way too much and it's killing their product.

Night before I had a glass or 3 of Jameson 18yr Distillers Edition. Ooh baby. All the typical Jameson sweetness, but so many extra dimensions to this. Long finish, beautiful woodiness on the nose, vanilla and spices. Lovely.

Time to give credit to two serious blends-

Johnnie Walker Black Label - as long a finish as I've tasted.

Green Spot Irish Whiskey - what whiskey must have tasted like one hundred years ago - don't ask me - it just tastes old-fashioned - very warming - kinda clovey - bloody gorgeous.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 16 2010, 10:12 PM)
A "Smokehead" is some serious shit. Like biting in the remains of a night before BBQ, but isn't it lovely.

Smokehead

Comes here in Europe for � 25,--. Very nice price indeed considering it's rich taste.

Check it!!

Tried it a few times. I think it tries too hard. Don't get me wrong, it's very pleasant, but it's no Laphroaig.

It's all smoke(hence the name!!). There's no sublety to it, no little nuances of sweetness at all.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 18 2010, 10:11 AM)
A "Smokehead" is some serious shit. Like biting in the remains of a night before BBQ, but isn't it lovely.

Smokehead

Comes here in Europe for � 25,--. Very nice price indeed considering it's rich taste.

Check it!!

Tried it a few times. I think it tries too hard. Don't get me wrong, it's very pleasant, but it's no Laphroaig.

It's all smoke(hence the name!!). There's no sublety to it, no little nuances of sweetness at all.

You're right, not to be compared with a LaPhroaig.

I got that one in a nice 15 year version. One of the last, it's going to be replaced by an 18 y o.

http://www.hub-moonen.tk/Whisky/fles-foto/Laphroaig15-2.jpg

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 29 2010, 11:29 PM)

Smokehead

Check it!!

I got that one in a nice 15 year version. One of the last, it's going to be replaced by an 18 y o.

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask and The Triple Wood are worth checking out as well. The Quarter Cask is bloody amazing.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 31 2010, 09:41 PM)

Smokehead

Check it!!

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask and The Triple Wood are worth checking out as well. The Quarter Cask is bloody amazing.

I bet it does, heard some good stuff about the quartercasks. I'll keep that in mind. First I need a new bottle of my Lagavullin 16 yo, which I emptied on my birthday, while it was still half full when I started. I know, what a waste.

I'm optimistic, is the bottle half full, or is it half empty? I thought it was half full.

If I would have been more pessimistic, I would still have something left today!!! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ Jun 1 2010, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 31 2010, 09:41 PM)

Smokehead

Check it!!

I bet it does, heard some good stuff about the quartercasks. I'll keep that in mind. First I need a new bottle of my Lagavullin 16 yo, which I emptied on my birthday, while it was still half full when I started. I know, what a waste.

I'm optimistic, is the bottle half full, or is it half empty? I thought it was half full.

If I would have been more pessimistic, I would still have something left today!!! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

The Lag 16 is immense. Every house should have one. The Lag 12 and Distiller's Edition are well worth having too.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 2 2010, 01:26 PM)
The Lag 16 is immense. Every house should have one. The Lag 12 and Distiller's Edition are well worth having too.

True, the 12 and the D.E. are interesting, but you had it right with the first sentence alone.

IMMENSE.

A must-have, heartily agreed.

http://www.lecellier.nl/whisky/lagavulin-16yrs.jpg

(^ I really enjoy springing the Lagavulin 16 on considerate scotch-drinking friends who've never had the pleasure - that's how it was introduced to me and I became a fast friend - remarkable scotch)

I know I went on about the Dalmore 12 at Easter-time, but I really haven't met a Scotch that has had this profound of an effect on me.

Although my Scotch cabinet boasts more than a dozen single malts, I find - no matter what the occasion - I'm always reaching for the Dalmore above all else these days.

It has none of the smoke of my preferred Taliskers, no clean, bracing sea spray finish (like my favorite Macallan Fine Oak 10), and none of the refined, deep oak history of the best Glenfiddich I've ever tasted (the 18 y.o. Ancient Reserve)...

I can't figure out what it is I like about this Scotch, but the rest of my collection gathers dust whenever the Dalmore is in the house.

If any of you have tried it (or are considering something new this weekend), I'd love to read your feedback.

http://www.luding.ru/media/catalog/drink/wisky_dalmore_12_year_b.jpg

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 22 2010, 02:51 PM)
I know I went on about the Dalmore 12 at Easter-time, but I really haven't met a Scotch that has had this profound of an effect on me.

Although my Scotch cabinet boasts more than a dozen single malts, I find - no matter what the occasion - I'm always reaching for the Dalmore above all else these days.

It has none of the smoke of my preferred Taliskers, no clean, bracing sea spray finish (like my favorite Macallan Fine Oak 10), and none of the refined, deep oak history of the best Glenfiddich I've ever tasted (the 18 y.o. Ancient Reserve)...

I can't figure out what it is I like about this Scotch, but the rest of my collection gathers dust whenever the Dalmore is in the house.

If any of you have tried it (or are considering something new this weekend), I'd love to read your feedback.

http://www.luding.ru/media/catalog/drink/wisky_dalmore_12_year_b.jpg

I found an excellent Dalmore 15 in the airport in Glasgow.

It's one of the best scotch I've ever drunk and I should have bought another bottle..

These times I have some Browsmore from Islay, Talisker and Oban.

As a Friend of Laphroaig, every so often the distillery releases a limited edition batch to their "Friends".

The latest Laphroaig "Cairdeas"(Gaelic for friends) is a humdinger of an animal. It's a mix of 11, 15, 17 and 19yr old bourbon and hogshead casks and rows in at a palette numbing 57.3%.

Funnily enough, tasted neat there is not the fire one would expect. Very warming, but no running to the tap. Citrus and pepper notes abound. The strange thing is there is very little smoke initially, and then long after you've swallowed after a good swilling, wisps of smoke appear and linger long after you've finished the glass.

Another Laphroaig stonker. If I lived on Islay, I'd be dead now.