Pearl Demon Drive

kazzman

So who else out there has heard and seen the hype surrounding Pearl's latest pedal, the Demon Drive? The street date is April 30th and you can bet I'll be putting this thing through many tests to see if it lives up to the hype. The price tag on it will be $649.99 for the double and $319.99 for the single.

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionlarge/Pearl/589050jpg.jpg

Nice, but too expensive. Not too dissimilar to my Yamaha direct drive pedal, which they no longer make in a double pedal.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 30 2009, 10:27 AM)
Nice, but too expensive. Not too dissimilar to my Yamaha direct drive pedal, which they no longer make in a double pedal.

Ooh. Yamaha changed their pedal design. They brought back the direct drive double pedal too.

Yamaha 9500D

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Apr 5 2009, 07:07 PM)
I entered on pearls website to win it but theres no way im going out and spending $650 on a pedal. I dont see how it could be worth $400 more than my dw7000

Adjustability, playability, feel, etc. To a lot of guys, this pedal will offer everything they've ever been looking for in a pedal. I spent about $475 on my DW 9002 about three years ago and I couldn't be happier personally.

The same thing would go for if I liked the Axis Longboards or even the Trick pedal. I'd gladly shell out the money for them as long as it were exactly what I wanted in a pedal.

My GC buddy had some Trick pedals made for him, even has his name engraved on them. They can switch from a double pedal to two singles in about 5 minutes. They are nice.

also its off topic but it seems like drummers are paying attention to this thread right now so ill throw it out there. I saw gc is having no payments or interest on yamaha products for a year right now. I already have a card there and i really like yamahas birch shell sound so I was wondering what you guys thought about YESS. Any experience with it? How much resonance does it cut out compared to true suspension mounts? etc... I know tons of pros use yamaha and even the high end kits have YESS on them but ive never got a chance to play any of the kits for more than 20 minutes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since stage or tour customs would be a big improvement over my imperialstars

I am a big fan of Yamaha hardware especially. Their drums sound good and have some innovative design. They are a quality drum company, definitely in the top 5 drum manufacturers.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 7 2009, 02:05 PM)
I am a big fan of Yamaha hardware especially. Their drums sound good and have some innovative design. They are a quality drum company, definitely in the top 5 drum manufacturers.

yes.gif

I am not a drummer, but my friend endorses Yamaha drums and plays the Phoenix set while touring with Steely Dan. It sounds amazing.

http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdet...ml?CNTID=568160

You can hear the set here if you like. Check it out at 7:20 (solo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKSyP5pNE0

btw, Neil Peart's tech is his drum tech, and he and I used to play Rush in several bands growing up! Neil went to one of his shows and went backstage to meet Keith. He said it was amazing getting to meet him like that.

Edited by Cowtothesky

QUOTE (kazzman @ Mar 30 2009, 01:29 PM)
So who else out there has heard and seen the hype surrounding Pearl's latest pedal, the Demon Drive? The street date is April 30th and you can bet I'll be putting this thing through many tests to see if it lives up to the hype. The price tag on it will be $649.99 for the double and $319.99 for the single.

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionlarge/Pearl/589050jpg.jpg

That looks an awful lot like another pedal that didn't sell well a few years back. I'm trying to remember the company but off hand I can not. They were overpriced & seeing the price tag on these puppies, I'm going to say that Pearl is going to recall them. The Eliminator's were their best pedal invention.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 7 2009, 03:05 PM)

I agree about Yamaha's hardware. I would, however, put them behind Tama & DW. DW is unmatched in most categories for innovation & durability as well as weight tongue.gif

Tama has broken in many innovations as well & can hold up just as well as any Yamaha.

Yamaha is still very durable. I am still against the Y.E.S.S mounting system. While they are correct about the nodle point, I still think it's time to adopt the rims system as the other manufacturer's have.

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Apr 6 2009, 08:26 PM)
also its off topic but it seems like drummers are paying attention to this thread right now so ill throw it out there. I saw gc is having no payments or interest on yamaha products for a year right now. I already have a card there and i really like yamahas birch shell sound so I was wondering what you guys thought about YESS. Any experience with it? How much resonance does it cut out compared to true suspension mounts? etc... I know tons of pros use yamaha and even the high end kits have YESS on them but ive never got a chance to play any of the kits for more than 20 minutes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since stage or tour customs would be a big improvement over my imperialstars

Since I just talked about this, the Y.E.S.S system is the best drilling mount system out there. However, having said that, there is still a little loss of sound as well as the possibility to crack the shell in that spot.

I've found that the rim systems out there are far better & worth the buy. My favorite is DW & second is Tama. Both are really strong & allows for more resonance.

It's unltimately up to you but that's my 2 cents worth. BTW-I believe the way the plan works is if you buy one Yamaha piece worth $x.xx then you can buy anything else & add it for no payments or interest. My suggestion is to go that route (if they still do it that way)

nothing but chain drive for me . that and the fact i was never happy with anything pearl puts out

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2009, 02:38 PM)
nothing but chain drive for me . that and the fact i was never happy with anything pearl puts out
1022.gif

I am still going to buy a DW 9000 pedal! Nothing but DW touches these feet!

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Apr 10 2009, 12:23 PM)
1022.gif

We have to be related somewhere down the line... laugh.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 10 2009, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Apr 10 2009, 12:23 PM)
1022.gif

We have to be related somewhere down the line... laugh.gif

rofl3.gif Did you ever see the original versions of the 9000's? It was a limited run series made of Titanium. Very thin foot plate. Amazingly fast.

Like I said, the Eliminator was the best idea Pearl made for their pedals. The different colored cams for different feels was a great idea. Making them out of plastic, however, was not...not to mention that the pedals were made of that cheap white metal. They fell apart too easily. Oddly, the Tama's have a similar design as DW. Why? Because DW bought the Camco machines for building the pedals & Tama bought the blueprints/copyright (I believe). Either that or one of them has some 'splainin' to do!

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Mar 31 2009, 01:45 PM)
No one ever complained about John Bonham's footwork with his squeaky Ludwig Speed King single pedal!

That SQUEAK!!!!! It drove me nuts! I could hear it all the time. Didn't anyone ever go up to his pedal & use some DW-40?! He might have gotten faster too tongue.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Apr 14 2009, 11:57 AM)
No one ever complained about John Bonham's footwork with his squeaky Ludwig Speed King single pedal!

That SQUEAK!!!!! It drove me nuts! I could hear it all the time. Didn't anyone ever go up to his pedal & use some DW-40?! He might have gotten faster too tongue.gif

i agree 100%

1022.gif

That my friend was the magic of music back then!! It was raw but genuine. Now everything is so over produced, many "artists" don't even have to know how to play their instruments or be able to sing.

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Apr 15 2009, 08:46 AM)
That my friend was the magic of music back then!! It was raw but genuine. Now everything is so over produced, many "artists" don't even have to know how to play their instruments or be able to sing.

i do agree with that but with a producer like EDDIE KRAMER they really should have done something about it

1022.gif

Alright... so we got the pedals in today. I only had about 20 minutes to set it up and fool around with it today so I don't really have that good of a verdict on it yet. I will say that it's very smooth and incredibly light (lighter and smoother than the DW9002 I might add). More to come...

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Apr 15 2009, 09:46 AM)

goodpost.gif They have a pitch corrector for singers. An infamous moment noted on SNL showed that Ashley Simpson was indeed using one. That & the lip synching.....Please start playing & singing for real in a concert. That's why people pay money to see you.