Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

It's clearly a running joke he has with the chat shows - see his previous appearances on Letterman, Leno etc. - which they seem to be in on.

There's a bit where Letterman just sits and says nothing, in an apparent silent stand off. That's "dead air" in broadcasting terms and an absolute no-no if you are doing things for real.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Feb 15 2009, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 13 2009, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Feb 13 2009, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2009, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Feb 12 2009, 05:18 PM)
He's acting as a character that he's playing in an upcoming film. This just proves he's a GOOD actor...

If that's true, it's being kept very hush hush. On the IMDB, he doesn't show as having any upcoming movies or projects, and if there is some secret project/movie/mockumentary or whatever in the works, a lot of people must know about it and it's being kept extremely secretive. That seems like it'd be hard to do for a long time without a leak somewhere, so if it is happening I'm sure we'll hear about it soon.

And maybe he really is just having substance abuse and/or mental health problems. Or maybe he's just having some kind of anti-social midlife crisis. The guy was always pretty quirky on a good day...

It happens all the time. Actors immerse themselves in their characters and there is the danger of them losing themselves in their roles. Which is what happened to the great Andy Kaufman. Where he was famous for never breaking character, he used to go on tv interviews as the character. Some even say that's what happened to Heath Ledger, by playing the Joker. Jack Nicholson even told him to be careful cause playing that role can f**k with you.

I think Joaquin is possesed by a character in a movie he is currently playing. If you remember... Jim Carrey did the same thing when he was doing Man on the Moon.

Acting... dangeorus profession eh. huh.gif

Dustin Hoffman used to stay in character all through filming. Sir Lawrence Olivier suggested, "Why don't you try acting?"

I would hope Joaquin is staying away from the hard drug scene. Wasn't River Phoenix his brother?

No....unrelated.

An expert in pop culture, I am not. b_sigh.gif

laugh.gif