"The Passion of Ayn Rand", the movie...

Cygnalschick

I watched this the other night with some friends. This version (I'm not sure if there are any other versions) was made in 1999. Primarily I watched it because I was curious to see how Ayn really was as a person, because obviously I'm a fan of her books (having read almost everything except "Atlas Shrugged"). Now I'm not sure how close this movie was to actually portraying her real character, but I can tell you that about 30 minutes into it my friends and I were laughing. I won't give anything away, but basically there is a scene where Ayn convinces her close friend (a woman) that she and the friend's husband (Nathaniel) are going to have a sexual relationship. She uses her 'philosophy' to explain why this is okay. Not only that, it is NECESSARY that they have this relationship. It really comes across as absurd, and at this point the movie becomes pure entertainment. Ayn is portrayed as a very cold and temperamental woman. One interesting fact I learned, however, is that it took her 12 years to finish "Atlas Shrugged," her masterpiece. This is the next book I need to read by her. Apparently the events in the movie actually happened while she was in the process of writing this book. And her 'relationship' with Nathaniel was what helped 'relieve the stress' of writing the book. tongue.gif I'm real curious to read it now!

Soooo about this sexual relationship......annnnnny...lesbo action?

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Jan 12 2009, 06:10 AM)
Soooo about this sexual relationship......annnnnny...lesbo action?

Be cool. I don't know if we have any gay women here or not but if we do I'm pretty sure they wouldn't appreciate that.

I saw the movie and it's woth a view even if you have never heard of her. The movie makes a point of taking shots at her viewpoints which is to be expected. If you're a true believer in Ayn you probably won't like it.

I sat through it for learning purposes, but it was NOT worth it in the end.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 18 2009, 02:21 PM)
I love Ayn Rand. I think she nailed it head on. What's the movie called? Was it a major release or straight to video?

It's called "The Passion of Ayn Rand." I think it was actually aired on tv. My friend had recorded it awhile back when it came on. I don't think it was a major release though. But I'm sure you can get a copy of it somewhere.

I hope you like Atlas Shrugged as much as I do. A word of caution though, you may find yourself an outcast in todays American political atmosphere, much like the characters, if you agree with John.

Cigarette?

Edited by Coda

I have to admit that I probably wouldn't have ever have known who Ayn Rand was if I wasn't a Rush fan. I read her books because I was curious to see where Neil got some of his ideas from.

I read all of her novels and also For the New Intellectual. The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged were the ones I liked best. I liked Anthem the least of all of them. wink.gif Go figure.

The first time I finished reading Atlas Shrugged I was sort of blown away. When I got done I thought "Wow, I am not alone in my thinking. Someone else thinks this was too." This had nothing with Neil's like or dislike. The book just struck something in me, very few books have had this effect on me.

• Like 1