The DIY thread.

Necromancer

I recently finished a house project that I was having some problems with. I couldn't decide exactly what I wanted to do/change about the breakfast nook.

Anyway, I'm done with the nook and now I will start perusing garage sales and craigslist again soon, looking for projects. I think this time around, I'm going to look for cheap pieces that I can fix up and put back up for sale. I don't really need any more furniture in the house but I love to take these old, unwanted pieces that no one else wants, fix them up and see them go back into a house instead of a landfill.

I'd love to hear about (and see pics, of course) DIY projects my fellow TRFers are doing. smile.gif

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 3 2011, 10:00 AM)
Janie, I need to hire you to decorate our new cabin. I suck at interior design and all the hubs wants is dead animal heads on the walls eyesre4.gif

God what I wouldn't give to be an interior decorator. I actually entertained the idea a long, long time ago.

Thanks for the compliment!

If it were up to my husband there would be no furniture, no art, no nothing.

As for the animal head situation... if it were me, I'd say he could have one but it would have to be like a giant moose head over the fireplace that I could put funny hats on and stuff.

QUOTE (luvrush @ Feb 3 2011, 10:32 AM)
Any one else around here do tole painting?

I had no idea what that was so looked it up. How long have you done tole painting?

I love to do embroidery but haven't in a long time. I keep trying to find some time in the evenings to do it. It's so relaxing.

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 3 2011, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 3 2011, 10:00 AM)
Janie, I need to hire you to decorate our new cabin.  I suck at interior design and all the hubs wants is dead animal heads on the walls  eyesre4.gif

God what I wouldn't give to be an interior decorator. I actually entertained the idea a long, long time ago.

Thanks for the compliment!

If it were up to my husband there would be no furniture, no art, no nothing.

As for the animal head situation... if it were me, I'd say he could have one but it would have to be like a giant moose head over the fireplace that I could put funny hats on and stuff.

laugh.gif I don't mind the mounts, if only a couple. He just got a 9 point this fall, biggest buck he's ever gotten so he's proud of it and he should be. They don't creep me out or anything but too many of them screams "hick" more than it should.

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 3 2011, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (luvrush @ Feb 3 2011, 10:32 AM)
Any one else around here do tole painting?

I had no idea what that was so looked it up. How long have you done tole painting?

I love to do embroidery but haven't in a long time. I keep trying to find some time in the evenings to do it. It's so relaxing.

I learned how to tole paint roughly 13ish years ago. I really don't do it as much anymore as I once did, but usually go in spurts if you know what I mean. I kept seeing these cute things at craft fairs and such, and instead of paying for them, wanted to learn how to make it myself so I could customize it to colors that matched my home, etc. Now, instead of making the more "cutsie poo" stuff, I am more into making signs that look old and weathered. More rustic and less country. About sevenish years ago we moved into our current house and were going to have a game room. I saw a "Country Sampler" magazine/catalog with all these cool wooden game boards that I just had to have, but they each cost $50-$65. I decided to make them instead and have just about made enough to cover one whole wall (yeah - seven years - I told you I go in spurts). I like to sand the edges and then stain over top of them to make them look handled and old.

I love what you did with your dining nook - it looks very classy, but comfortable and homey at the same time. I am also heart broken over your poor armoire that fell down the stairs - that was a find. I tole painted about a three or four foot square coffee table in our family room that turned out pretty nice. I'll have to take pictures of this stuff and post.

Like you, I think its fun to go to Home Depot, looking and smelling all girly and load up with a few planks of 1x8's or 1x12's, get some scroll saw blades, a little wood glue, and some sand paper for the sander and watch the baffled faces - kinda fun!

Yeah, I like to cross stitch too, but the final product is sooooooo long in coming!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 26 2008, 02:11 PM)
This was a while ago. I was curious about what was behind a false wall in our house, so I ripped it all out and found a fantastic granite Ingleneuk fireplace dating from Victorian times. In this photo, I've nearly finished, having hauled out the rubble, needle- gunned the granite and rebuilt the hearth.

I liked the stone on the wall so much I just sealed it and left it exposed.

My next job was to put in a nice cast iron wood-burner and it looks fantastic now.....

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Frid...7/191206033.jpg

I'm utterly impressed! What a fantastic find!!!!

*edit - haven't read the entire discussion... have you ever posted a photo of the wall and fireplace as it looks today? what a discovery!

Edited by summer_sky

Okay ... here are the promised pictures of some of the stuff I've painted. If you like modern stuff - avert your gaze ... you just might get burned.

First here is the ad out of Country Sampler magazine with the game boards I was trying to replicate:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/C102H010A.jpg

And here is what I made instead. For the signs I just painted a background, made a banner on Print Shop, traced it onto the board and painted it in. I found the "Billiards" sign in a magazine and blew it up on a copier a gazillion times and traced it onto the board and painted it in:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0666.jpg

And here are some pictures of the family room coffee table that I talked about. I have jokingly told my husband that if there's ever a fire, get the family out and then somehow manage to drag the table outside.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0672.jpg

The whole table.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0674.jpg

This was a pattern I traced - I certainly did not freehand this.

I've got more of this stuff if you want to see ... ?

Edited by luvrush

QUOTE (luvrush @ Feb 6 2011, 02:49 PM)
Okay ... here are the promised pictures of some of the stuff I've painted. If you like modern stuff - avert your gaze ... you just might get burned.
First here is the ad out of Country Sampler magazine with the game boards I was trying to replicate:
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/C102H010A.jpg

And here is what I made instead. For the signs I just painted a background, made a banner on Print Shop, traced it onto the board and painted it in. I found the "Billiards" sign in a magazine and blew it up on a copier a gazillion times and traced it onto the board and painted it in:
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0666.jpg

I love it! You did an amazing job. You are very talented.

I'm inspired. I want to try something like this.

QUOTE (luvrush @ Feb 6 2011, 02:57 PM)
And here are some pictures of the family room coffee table that I talked about. I have jokingly told my husband that if there's ever a fire, get the family out and then somehow manage to drag the table outside.
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0672.jpg

This was a pattern I traced - I certainly did not freehand this.

I've got more of this stuff if you want to see ... ?

Again, good job! applaudit.gif

The design looks like Charles Wysocki. Is that the pattern you used?

How long did it take you to do that!?

And, I'd love to see more pictures of your work!

It took me about 2 or so weeks to paint the table. It was a Wysocki looking pattern for sure, but not authentic. It was meant to be a wall plaque with a plywood banner scroll work around it, but I just chose to square it off and use it for the table instead.

Here are some signs that I painted to go way high up in the kitchen above the cabinets as a background to my house cookie jar collection. They are towns in northeastern Indiana Amish country (one of my favorite places in the world). Again with the painting the background and then just tracing a Print Shop banner and filling it in.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0682.jpg

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0681.jpg

Here are murals I painted for my boys' rooms. For the Justice League I borrowed the school overhead projector to shine a coloring book image on the wall - no freehand stuff for this girl. For the flag - a yard stick and painters tape were my friends. (please excuse the teenager's unmade bed - yeeeeeesh!). Sadly, both murals are now gone. About six months ago, the 18 year old wanted a "plain" room with rock posters. Of course the 12 year old, wanting to be "super cool" like his brother wanted the same thing, so it broke my heart, but several coats of Kilz did the job.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd465/luvrush1/100_0541.jpg

Edited by luvrush

Wow Janie, that is pretty awesome. I don't know where you got the idea but it really works. The cat really sets off the trim as well, haha.

My spring project has gone severly awry. Behind my house is a about 20 to 30 feet of woods then a fence separating us and the neighbors backyards. It was pretty dense and overgrown with wild honeysuckle and weeds which provided great cover and privacy when we sit on our deck. I had the bright idea that it would all look better with a natural landscape, with different trees and bushes, and add some color etc. Plus I had some ideas for some trellisses and a sitting area with a stone bench. I have been doing research for months, visiting nurseries and pricing stuff.

I finally spent the last few weekends out clearing all the brush before the leaves hit and gets hot. I have a sore back from the chainsaw and my hands and arms are scratched to hell from the thicket. I've been bundling kindling and burning and working my ass off.

I just about have phase one done and I come home last night and my wife is balling. She informed me she hates it. (I haven't actually planted anything and it's barren mind you, of course it looks like shit). She wants me to let it all grow back and not "landscape" anything.

My wife likes nice things, has a great touch on the interior of the house, like Janie, and is generally into the outside looking nice. I am totally flummoxed over her take on this. I have no idea what the hell to do now. She won't even listen to any of my ideas other than to say, "she hates it". It's probably the only real dissagreement we've ever had to be honest.

signed,

whining in the burg.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Apr 2 2011, 08:10 PM)
Wow does that pop!!!

Its a amazing how little changes can make such a big difference.

Thank you! I'm so happy with how this turned out.