Appreciation Threads...

CeeJ

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 11 2008, 01:08 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Dec 11 2008, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 11 2008, 12:54 AM)
QUOTE (CeeJ @ Dec 10 2008, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Dec 10 2008, 09:50 PM)
I find its better to have a person have their own thread.  All the attention is on them and looking at their thread can clear up a sad day.

We have 6,877 members here.

We can't possibly have a thread for each person. no.gif

This amount of appreciation threads is burying the

threads that we are looking for.

Haven't we discussed this before?

I know you love to add to that post count of yours but

really you need to think a bit. yes.gif

One thread should cover everyone. IMO and a few

others that feel the same way.

Actually I think the appreciation threads keep a lot of conversations in one area and leave the rest of the board clean of conversations that the rest of the board might not want to be subjected to.

If you remember how it used to be, a lot of people were commenting to posts that weren't met for them and a lot of people were getting offended. While we can't mend the generation gap we have here because Rush fans come in all ages biggrin.gif I think that by creating a mini forum area where we can go to post this stuff ie: the appreciation threads in GD we have actually fixed that problem.

That being said the people who have appreciation threads (myself included) are not saying we are better than anyone else on the board. You guys are all awesome! But it's just a place that we have to conduct certain conversations that a lot of people would either find childish or would say that our threads clutter up the board.

I think we should keep them.

Well put, Yaya. I agree that those who are often appreciated on the board should have 1 thread to be appreciated in. trink39.gif

Ya and it's not an issue with post counts, not for me anyway and not for most of us that have a thread either. I think that spamalot fad has died down.

Yeah appreciation threads are not for spam to me...thats whats The Spam thread is for biggrin.gif yes.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 11 2008, 04:03 PM)
If a forum is meant to be for a specific purpose, shouldn't that be specified at least somewhere in its description?

An excellent question. We mods and admins have tried to be clever with the subforum titles and subtitles. Apparently in the case of GD we were a bit too clever.

Ceej is right, this forum was meant for random goofiness and comedy. In equal measures avant-garde, silly, and creative.

The appreciation threads, while nice, are getting a little preponderant, as it were, and are detracting from the general vibe of GD.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 11 2008, 05:32 PM)
This isn't going very well, is it...

seriously, do we NEED to get rid of them? So what if you have to scroll halfway down a page to get to a thread you want? Sheesh banghead.gif

What about a common ground suggestion? I remember a very long time ago, way before Grand Designs was created, Barney and Signals would choose a member to celebrate - and create a thread for them. There would only be one thread at a time to celebrate that person. Then the next week, another thread would be started.

So my suggestion is, how about one appreciation thread per person per week - and the person who is celebrated gets to start an appreciation thread for the next person. Do it once every Monday with a new thread.

Just a thought. Doable?

6 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

Pags, Jack Aubrey, treeduck, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, Necromancer

WOW where did all of you come from? When I started my post I was the only one in here. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 11 2008, 05:39 PM)

WOW where did all of you come from? When I started my post I was the only one in here. laugh.gif

Hot topic tonight! yes.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 11 2008, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 11 2008, 04:03 PM)
If a forum is meant to be for a specific purpose, shouldn't that be specified at least somewhere in its description?

An excellent question. We mods and admins have tried to be clever with the subforum titles and subtitles. Apparently in the case of GD we were a bit too clever.

Ceej is right, this forum was meant for random goofiness and comedy. In equal measures avant-garde, silly, and creative.

The appreciation threads, while nice, are getting a little preponderant, as it were, and are detracting from the general vibe of GD.

I don't agree about the forum descriptions. In the case of GD and RS, they're perfect, and they're Rush references!

But I agree with the rest of that. I think the appreciation threads are silly and give off that "popularity contest" vibe which is never a good thing, but I also don't think they're the scourge of GD. No offense AT ALL to those who either started them or are the subject of them.

Are there really 20 of these threads?

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Dec 11 2008, 05:40 PM)

WOW where did all of you come from?  When I started my post I was the only one in here.  laugh.gif

Hot topic tonight! yes.gif

Pathetically entertaining to say the least popcorn.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (mini @ Dec 11 2008, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Dec 11 2008, 09:57 AM)
I find its better to have a person have their own thread.  All the attention is on them and looking at their thread can clear up a sad day.

unsure.gif 6,877 members and you said there were 9 threads? Hogging the first page? What?

Seems there is an underlying issue here. unsure.gif

yes.gif

I read every post in this thread, and none of them were insulting. Well, almost none of them.

It seems to me if you're curious about underlying issues - you need to look inward instead of outward.

yes.gif

Actually I think the appreciation threads keep a lot of conversations in one area and leave the rest of the board clean of conversations that the rest of the board might not want to be subjected to.

If you remember how it used to be, a lot of people were commenting to posts that weren't met for them and a lot of people were getting offended. While we can't mend the generation gap we have here because Rush fans come in all ages biggrin.gif I think that by creating a mini forum area where we can go to post this stuff ie: the appreciation threads in GD we have actually fixed that problem.

That being said the people who have appreciation threads (myself included) are not saying we are better than anyone else on the board. You guys are all awesome! But it's just a place that we have to conduct certain conversations that a lot of people would either find childish or would say that our threads clutter up the board.

But it's just a place that we have to conduct certain conversations that a lot of people would either find childish or would say that our threads clutter up the board.

I understand where you're coming from but that's what PMs are for.

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 11 2008, 05:42 PM)

unsure.gif 6,877 members and you said there were 9 threads? Hogging the first page? What?

yes.gif

I read every post in this thread, and none of them were insulting. Well, almost none of them.

It seems to me if you're curious about underlying issues - you need to look inward instead of outward.

yes.gif

You referring to me er something Pags? unsure.gif

What about a common ground suggestion?  I remember a very long time ago, way before Grand Designs was created, Barney and Signals would choose a member to celebrate - and create a thread for them.  There would only be one thread at a time to celebrate that person.  Then the next week, another thread would be started.

So my suggestion is, how about one appreciation thread per person per week - and the person who is celebrated gets to start an appreciation thread for the next person.  Do it once every Monday with a new thread.

Just a thought.  Doable?

That's because you're taking way too long over post composition Pags...

In the old days people used to do a 7 paragraph post in 0.98362 miliseconds, its a sign of the times that people take more ages these days...

th1245.gif

whoops I quoted the wrong Pags post...

doh.gif

That'll teach me to post in GD...

oops.gif

As I said back when the RS Reclamation thread was the big deal... SO WHAT???

Sorry CeeJ. scared.gif

I do understand her point though, but I can't be hypocritical about it by changing my stance. I couldn't stand when uptight "senior members" of the board wanted to close the creative yet quirky threads that Tick, Goobs, Geds and I were a major part of. But alas... it happened anyway. They created GD and put all our stuff in it so that the charter members would quit their bitching.

Oddly enough, one day... not long ago... I felt like a charter member when I began to get sick of the spam threads in GD. I broke my vow of not being a hypocrite and bitched very much about it. The closure of spam threads definitely helped the forum, no doubt. As far as the appreciation threads go... I could care less. I have only made one post in all of them and that was in Daylins. I just ignore them mostly... no offense to anyone being appreciated.

GD's original vibe was to be about humorous creativity. Though there was never any kind of mission statement to this... it was just readily accepted as its purpose to those of us that were here then. Since I don't ever want to stoop to the level of idiocy that the good ol' boy network exhibited when RS was reclaimed... i can NOT in good conscience bash these threads. Things grow and GD is NOT what it used to be. If there is any blame to be layed there... i think that it lies with me, who gave up on the original lunacy because of what I considered a lack of appreciation for hard work, Geds... who doesn't post anymore, Tick... who has gotten sick of the non-humor related stuff in GD and Goobs, for just stopping being what he used to be.

Anyway... whatever happens... happens. doh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 11 2008, 05:43 PM)

But it's just a place that we have to conduct certain conversations that a lot of people would either find childish or would say that our threads clutter up the board.

I understand where you're coming from but that's what PMs are for.

With a thread multiple people can join in which is the point.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Dec 11 2008, 05:45 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 11 2008, 05:50 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

Could you please clarify what you are talking about?

Ok, I'm editing this to ask instead... Are you suggesting I have underlying isssues and that is why I am here on TRF?

QUOTE (mini @ Dec 11 2008, 11:11 AM)

yes.gif

Y'know... if I ever puss out and jump ship to CP... i'm taking Vincent and all my other alters with me. Just a suggestion.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Dec 11 2008, 05:53 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

Perhaps it is I who should ask you that question. Reading your post, I am left with a feeling that you're either being critical and/or insulting. Surely, the post did nothing to either describe the problem, offer a defense, or come up with a solution. Just seems you have more of a personal issue. If I'm off base, than I mis-interpreted the spirit of your words. But reading the 'other' post you just put up. I don't think I am.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Dec 11 2008, 06:53 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

Ok, I'm editing this to ask instead... Are you suggesting I have underlying isssues and that is why I am here on TRF?

I think it's kinda clear that one would think you have underlying issues with CeeJ and that's why you jumped in with your bullshit dimestore psychology shit post. Which you do. yes.gif

Then the other master of psychology, "MINI" came in and lended a hand. Quite funny. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 11 2008, 05:59 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

Perhaps it is I who should ask you that question. Reading your post, I am left with a feeling that you're either being critical and/or insulting. Surely, the post did nothing to either describe the problem, offer a defense, or come up with a solution. Just seems you have more of a personal issue. If I'm off base, than I mis-interpreted the spirit of your words. But reading the 'other' post you just put up. I don't think I am.

I don't have any personal issues here. You are off base. You guys have your opinions of how the board is running and that is fine. I felt that something was missing in CeeJ's statement. Anything wrong with that? I suppose that I should have just clarified that from the beginning, I apologise.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 11 2008, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Dec 11 2008, 06:53 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

I think it's kinda clear that one would think you have underlying issues with CeeJ and that's why you jumped in with your bullshit dimestore psychology shit post. Which you do. yes.gif

Then the other master of psychology, "MINI" came in and lended a hand. Quite funny. z7shysterical.gif

Oh God here we go. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Dec 11 2008, 06:06 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

I don't have any personal issues here. You are off base. You guys have your opinions of how the board is running and that is fine. I felt that something was missing in CeeJ's statement. Anything wrong with that? I suppose that I should have just clarified that from the beginning, I apologise.

Nope. It's cool. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 11 2008, 06:08 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

Nope. It's cool. trink39.gif

Thank you Pags for at least asking as I didn't make myself clear in the first place. I've just put in 50 hours in 4 days work so I'm a bit fogged smile.gif

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yes, I am. smile.gif

What did you think was missing???

I know what I meant to say and typed it.

You are just too much for me to deal with.

I tried with you. I really did. That day I went into the

chat room and asked what your issue was. And then you wanted

a "private room". I even fell for that. Then you had nothing to say.

You really need to get your head straight. I don't know what your

issue is with me and I really don't give a shit anymore.

moon.gif

Have a nice life.

Archived