Has anyone ever done this?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever done this?

• Yes, I don't feel any guilt
    • Yes, and I pray to God to forgive me each time I do it
    • Yes, but never again because I was caught
    • Once and never again, too worried to enjoy the movie
    • Never, it's stealing!

One thing that I do regularly that I have absolutely no remorse for whatsoever is smuggling food into movie theaters, even though for most of them that's strictly forbidden.

Just because I'm paying to see a movie, I don't feel I should have to pay the extortionist fees they charge for food and beverages at movie theaters. I mean $2.50 for an 8 oz. container of water? Please!

I don't really consider this stealing since I wouldn't pay those kinds of prices for crappy food anyway. I either sneak food in or I buy nothing.

One time I did get caught. They wanted to take our food from us so we just left instead and got our money back. I'm much more careful now. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2008, 01:30 PM)
One thing that I do regularly that I have absolutely no remorse for whatsoever is smuggling food into movie theaters, even though for most of them that's strictly forbidden.

Just because I'm paying to see a movie, I don't feel I should have to pay the extortionist fees they charge for food and beverages at movie theaters. I mean $2.50 for an 8 oz. container of water? Please!

I don't really consider this stealing since I wouldn't pay those kinds of prices for crappy food anyway. I either sneak food in or I buy nothing.

One time I did get caught. They wanted to take our food from us so we just left instead and got our money back. I'm much more careful now. yes.gif

I also bring my own snacks/drinks. It would be real costly with 2 kids. I am afraid of getting busted so I usually take water bottles. I can't think of a show where I did not hear soda cans being opened.

It is unfortunate they choose to gauge folks on their snacks

As for going into another show I haven't done that since I was a punky teenager biggrin.gif

I agree with goobs here. I do not sneak into the theater.... that is stealing. But yes I too do bring my own food.

My personal record. A full medium (wrapped in foil) Pizza and 2 cans of Dr.Pepper. A winter's trench coat is wonderful.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 7 2008, 02:53 PM)
I agree with goobs here. I do not sneak into the theater.... that is stealing. But yes I too do bring my own food.

My personal record. A full medium (wrapped in foil) Pizza and 2 cans of Dr.Pepper. A winter's trench coat is wonderful.

backpacks! yes.gif

if i don't have one and the food is to big for pockets, my wife's purse does the trick wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2008, 04:30 PM)

The 2 theatres I frequent the most, at least at the employee level, don't seem troubled when we bring in our own refreshments.

The only time I did this as an adult was when my wife and I went to see "Four Rooms." What an awful piece of sh1t. We got up at the end and walked to "Sudden Death" starring Jean Claude Van Damme. I know what you're thinking; you walked out of one sh1tfest and right into another?????? No, Sudden Death blew away Four Rooms.

I used to do this when I was a smart-assed high schooler.

But I still take my own food and soda. If they have an issue with it, I'll just get my money back and leave, like goobs.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2008, 03:21 PM)
I may have once in my youth, but I can't remember specifically.

Me too. yes.gif

As for the price of theater snacks - and don't think I'm defending the costs, I'm just explaining - the reason they cost so much is because that's where the theater makes almost all their money. The money you spend on the ticket goes almost entirely to the movie studios. The only place theaters can make profits is at the concession stand.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 10 2008, 07:22 AM)

Me too. yes.gif

As for the price of theater snacks - and don't think I'm defending the costs, I'm just explaining - the reason they cost so much is because that's where the theater makes almost all their money. The money you spend on the ticket goes almost entirely to the movie studios. The only place theaters can make profits is at the concession stand.

Then how do you explain first run drive ins? Where the cost is cheap and you get a double feature every time?

They are showing the same current movies as the theaters and they KNOW people are bringing their own food most of the time.

I know you weren't defending it, but I gotta think that movie houses make a ton of money on the ticket price alone. Especially if it's a hit and gets a lot of people.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 10 2008, 07:25 AM)
I know you weren't defending it, but I gotta think that movie houses make a ton of money on the ticket price alone. Especially if it's a hit and gets a lot of people.

no.gif Not on the "ticket price alone." The profits from ticket sales go almost entirely to the distributor houses and the movie studios... the producers, director, actors, key grip, etc. I can bring you some exact figures if you want, since I have some relatives in the business, but I think theaters only make a couple dimes on every ticket sale.

Theaters make almost all their money on concession sales. Look at it this way: the hit movies are just a draw to bring customers into the theater's crummy little "restaurant." laugh.gif It's not much different than the Ground Round. laugh.gif

Think of the overhead involved in running a theater, add to that what I've already said about profits coming from concession sales alone, and it's a wonder theaters make any profit at all! So to save on expenditures, they pay their college-aged employees with slave wages and the promise of free movies. Trust me, I know. I've worked there for a few months myself, and I still have relatives who manage Regal Cinemas.

Again, I'm not defending the practice. I don't want to spend $4.50 for a small soda, either! But this is the way it is.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Nov 7 2008, 03:28 PM)
I've done it a couple of times in the last couple of months for the first time in my life. I don't feel guilty about it at all, and think that I got my money's worth given the price of the tickets and refreshments.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Movies cost what they do, ya don't get to see two. cool10.gif

Edited by tick

Me too. yes.gif

Then how do you explain first run drive ins? Where the cost is cheap and you get a double feature every time?

They are showing the same current movies as the theaters and they KNOW people are bringing their own food most of the time.

Some Drive-ins, such as the Benjies in MD, actually make you pay a fee to bring your own food in. It is like 7 bucks.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 10 2008, 08:53 AM)

Me too. yes.gif

Some Drive-ins, such as the Benjies in MD, actually make you pay a fee to bring your own food in. It is like 7 bucks.

In answer to Necro's Drive-In question, I can't speak as authoritatively, but here's my guess on how they survive with reduced concession sales:

1. For starters, they don't survive. Look at the statistics on the ever-decreasing numbers of American drive-ins over the past fifty (even thirty) years. There are a lot fewer of them since the days when we were kids. They're all going out of business.

2. Less overhead. A drive-in doesn't have a large building and several individual theaters to heat/cool, illuminate, clean, and maintain. And because of this and other reasons, they don't need to pay nearly as many employees to continue operation.

3. The "double features" are invariably ONE first-run movie and an oldie.

I don't have the details on drive-ins that I do with large-scale movie houses, but I think I'm close with my answer(s).

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 10 2008, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Nov 10 2008, 08:53 AM)

Me too. yes.gif

In answer to Necro's Drive-In question, I can't speak as authoritatively, but here's my guess on how they survive with reduced concession sales:

1. For starters, they don't survive. Look at the statistics on the ever-decreasing numbers of American drive-ins over the past fifty (even thirty) years. There are a lot fewer of them since the days when we were kids. They're all going out of business.

2. Less overhead. A drive-in doesn't have a large building and several individual theaters to heat/cool, illuminate, clean, and maintain. And because of this and other reasons, they don't need to pay nearly as many employees to continue operation.

3. The "double features" are invariably ONE first-run movie and an oldie.

I don't have the details on drive-ins that I do with large-scale movie houses, but I think I'm close with my answer(s).

That could be. There's only one drive in in my area, and I think they make the bulk of their money on Sundays when they are also a flea market. yes.gif

But our drive-in anyway... has both movies as first run. They only keep them one weekend though. Maybe they don't have to rent it for a lot if they only keep it for three nights.

I actually know a guy from work that runs a local theater in a very small burg by me. When I get back to work, i'll ask him how much they cost to rent and how much profit is made on each.

but yeah... your take on it is probably very close.