Has anyone ever done this?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever done this?

• Yes, I don't feel any guilt
    • Yes, and I pray to God to forgive me each time I do it
    • Yes, but never again because I was caught
    • Once and never again, too worried to enjoy the movie
    • Never, it's stealing!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 10 2008, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2008, 03:21 PM)
I may have once in my youth, but I can't remember specifically. 

Me too. yes.gif

As for the price of theater snacks - and don't think I'm defending the costs, I'm just explaining - the reason they cost so much is because that's where the theater makes almost all their money. The money you spend on the ticket goes almost entirely to the movie studios. The only place theaters can make profits is at the concession stand.

But this is what I don't get. If you have a big chain theatre WHY do you have to give almost all profits on ticket sales? Why can't a chain say "you want us to show your movie, give us a bigger cut."

According to my calculations theatres are actually making MORE money off of me and my friend since we started our 2 for 1 specials.

We used to see movies once a month spending around $30 for one screening. Now we go twice a month and spend $60 for (unofficially) 4 screenings.

We're paying more at theatres under our plan than we used to, i.e. money the theatre would NOT have gotten from us before, therefore is it really stealing?

Also, legally speaking, what exactly are we stealing? The screening would be going on regardless of whether we're in the theatre or not.

Well...

I've snuck in my own food. Or whiskey. Buy one of their sodas and top 'er off...

Drive ins? I brought a couple of my friends in in the trunk of a '67 'Cuda... hard work for them but they wanted to see if they could pull it off.

I like what Steve Wright had to say on getting busted for bringing in food; "the concession prices are outrageous... besides, I haven't had a good barbecue for a while."

I guess I'm a bit of a miscreant on this one. At least when I was in my 20's.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 10 2008, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 10 2008, 07:25 AM)
I know you weren't defending it, but I gotta think that movie houses make a ton of money on the ticket price alone.  Especially if it's a hit and gets a lot of people.

no.gif Not on the "ticket price alone." The profits from ticket sales go almost entirely to the distributor houses and the movie studios... the producers, director, actors, key grip, etc. I can bring you some exact figures if you want, since I have some relatives in the business, but I think theaters only make a couple dimes on every ticket sale.

Theaters make almost all their money on concession sales. Look at it this way: the hit movies are just a draw to bring customers into the theater's crummy little "restaurant." laugh.gif It's not much different than the Ground Round. laugh.gif

Think of the overhead involved in running a theater, add to that what I've already said about profits coming from concession sales alone, and it's a wonder theaters make any profit at all! So to save on expenditures, they pay their college-aged employees with slave wages and the promise of free movies. Trust me, I know. I've worked there for a few months myself, and I still have relatives who manage Regal Cinemas.

Again, I'm not defending the practice. I don't want to spend $4.50 for a small soda, either! But this is the way it is.

I work at a Carmike Cinema and this is exactly the case.