Celebrities: What do they owe us?

Slime

Celebrities owe us silence ! Shut the f**k up please, no one cares what you think. Just make entertaining movies, music, etc...

To comment on the above post. If you paying big money to see someone you love perform live, you sure as hell should not have to endure there personal view of the world. no.gif Thats lame !

If you are at a live show and a celebrity decides to exercise their right to give their opinion, you can also exercise your right to leave wink.gif

Nobody gets upset when a columnist or a news anchor has an opinion, but it seems that many people feel that rock stars or actors should NOT BE ALLOWED to have opinions.

QUOTE (Slime @ Oct 15 2008, 07:46 PM)
If you are at a live show and a celebrity decides to exercise their right to give their opinion, you can also exercise your right to leave wink.gif

Nobody gets upset when a columnist or a news anchor has an opinion, but it seems that many people feel that rock stars or actors should NOT BE ALLOWED to have opinions.

Columnist are paid for their opinions. That's what a columnist does. News anchors who give their opinions are not being professional.

Rock stars and actors are rock stars and actors. They have no more insight to politics than you or me. Rock stars and actors are usually mouthpieces. They should entertain, not indoctrinate.

Celebrities are nothing more then normal people acting on a world wide stage, with alot of money. And they think because they have all this money, a bloated self image, it makes it alright for them to hire other people to do what the Average citizens do every day (makeup, hair, making food etc..)

It's gotten out of had to the point where some of our population can not go a day without HAVING to know about this or that celebrity. Where the person's whole life revolves around someone else's life. Dimishing the thought that the celebrity will ever even acknowledge said person. Feeling like if the person does everything, wears, eats talks like the celebrity they FEEL like they are the celebrity.

It's so very very dumb.

I'm done.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 16 2008, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Oct 15 2008, 07:46 PM)

Columnist are paid for their opinions. That's what a columnist does. News anchors who give their opinions are not being professional.

Rock stars and actors are rock stars and actors. They have no more insight to politics than you or me. Rock stars and actors are usually mouthpieces. They should entertain, not indoctrinate.

I'm not saying that rock stars and actors are generally the best educated or informed when it comes to any of the things that might tend to get opinionated...

BUT

Being in the free world, I just assumed that people are allowed to have and speak whatever opinions they wish. It seems that there now exists a certain segment of society that is discouraged from doing so. That scares the heck out of me.

QUOTE (Slime @ Oct 23 2008, 12:38 AM)
Being in the free world, I just assumed that people are allowed to have and speak whatever opinions they wish. It seems that there now exists a certain segment of society that is discouraged from doing so. That scares the heck out of me.

Nah, not at all. I have no problem discussing politics in the correct environment or forum. I don't want a police officer or a sanitation worker preaching their political viewpoints towards me when they're working.

That "certain segment of segment" of society, if I assume correctly who they are, are not being discouraged at all. It's just facing, right or wrong, the consequences of its actions.

Celebrities are routinely discouraged from having opinions. Remember "Shut up and sing"? When I see people bitching about celebs having opinions, it is normally the attitude "You're just a celebrity, how dare you speak your mind" rather than "You're expressing your opinion at the wrong time"

THAT is discouragement, and I can't support that.

But seriously, let's get back on topic. Here's a hypothetical scenario: You see your ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE (zomg!) celebrity at a bar or some other public place AND you have a half decent chance to say some words to them or interact with them in some way. What do you do?

QUOTE (Slime @ Oct 23 2008, 07:29 PM)
Celebrities are routinely discouraged from having opinions. Remember "Shut up and sing"? When I see people bitching about celebs having opinions, it is normally the attitude "You're just a celebrity, how dare you speak your mind" rather than "You're expressing your opinion at the wrong time"

But seriously, let's get back on topic. Here's a hypothetical scenario: You see your ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE (zomg!) celebrity at a bar or some other public place AND you have a half decent chance to say some words to them or interact with them in some way. What do you do?

I leave them the hell alone. They don't know me, nor I them. The fact that I have spent some money on their product doesn't give me the right to interrupt their leisure time by drooling all over them when they're spending time with friends and family.

QUOTE (Slime @ Oct 24 2008, 09:29 AM)

I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend.

Even if I love the celebrity, I'll never drool over, annoy, or pester them. The celebs I have met were mainly pro athletes and the most I've said were things along these lines, "Hey, good game/match today" (after they had) or "Good luck in the game/match today/tomorrow" (before the event). But more the half the time I just make eye contact, nod and smile and they do the same.

Archived