Ghost Story

JDL2112

I just watched Ghost Story after not seeing it for many years, and I remembered that I really enjoyed it, and it actually was quite frightening even today considering the technology of the time. (Early 80's I believe)

So now to the question at hand...as ghost stories go these days with new and better visual effects and such, I still find this movie to be just as exciting and "on the edge of the seat" type that I do of just about any ghost/paranormal movie these days. I guess I like the fact that it was really just "plain scary", but had a nice story to it.

Anyway, if anyone has seen it or would like to put down thoughts about comparisons between the two different generations of ghost movies, please comment! Also, if you have seen a good ghost movie that is not mainstream, I'd love to hear about it so I can see it!

Thanks!

EDIT: Tree brought up something for me...I'm adding the link to the movie in IMDB so if you can't remember if you have seen it, this might jog your memory. Thanks Tree! Ghost Story Movie Page

Edited by JDL2112

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Oct 1 2008, 02:02 PM)
I just watched Ghost Story after not seeing it for many years, and I remembered that I really enjoyed it, and it actually was quite frightening even today considering the technology of the time. (Early 80's I believe)

So now to the question at hand...as ghost stories go these days with new and better visual effects and such, I still find this movie to be just as exciting and "on the edge of the seat" type that I do of just about any ghost/paranormal movie these days. I guess I like the fact that it was really just "plain scary", but had a nice story to it.

Anyway, if anyone has seen it or would like to put down thoughts about comparisons between the two different generations of ghost movies, please comment! Also, if you have seen a good ghost movie that is not mainstream, I'd love to hear about it so I can see it!

Thanks!

That title sounds familiar but I can't remember the plot.

Anyway, "The Changeling" with George C. Scott, from 1980, is a pretty good ghost story.

Two other movies that I personally like are John Carpenter's "The Fog" (1980) and a made-for-tv movie titled "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (1981).

These two movies deal with the revenge of ghosts on people who had wronged them in life.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 1 2008, 02:06 PM)
"The Changeling" with George C. Scott, from 1980, is a pretty good ghost story.

I concur.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/smileys/th1245.gif

Wasn't Fred Astaire in Ghost Story?

I havn't seen this movie in 20+ years, but I remember enjoying it and I also remember it scaring the ever loving shit out of me.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 1 2008, 03:29 PM)

I havn't seen this movie in 20+ years, but I remember enjoying it and I also remember it scaring the ever loving shit out of me.

Yes, Fred was in that movie!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 1 2008, 11:12 AM)
Two other movies that I personally like are John Carpenter's "The Fog" (1980) and a made-for-tv movie titled "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (1981).

These two movies deal with the revenge of ghosts on people who had wronged them in life.

I did see The Fog...that was very riveting! However, I'm going to note the other films you mention and see them! Thanks! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Oct 1 2008, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 1 2008, 03:29 PM)

Yes, Fred was in that movie!

It had a nice cast to it actually...well known folks!

I found out that the lady who played Alma/Eva was just in Silent Hill. (This movie totally lost me...are they dead? In some other dimension? No clue...lolol) She played the lady that was leading all the people in the church and ordered the burnings...very convincing roll for her!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 1 2008, 02:12 PM)

Ooooh, I remember Dark Night of the Scarecrow....... No one I ever asked had seen it - you're the first K. biggrin.gif That was scary, ( I was 10 or 11)

The Fog was scary too. scared.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Oct 1 2008, 06:55 PM)

Ooooh, I remember Dark Night of the Scarecrow....... No one I ever asked had seen it - you're the first K. biggrin.gif That was scary, ( I was 10 or 11)

Yeah, I made a post about Dark Night of the Scarecrow in another thread - not to be confused with "Night of the Scarecrow" and "Scarecrow". "Dark Night..." was the first and was about an adult guy who was mentally retarded, who gets accused of a crime and is shot by 4 vigilantes. Turns out he was innocent, but the 4 vigilantes are deemed "not guilty" in court, but a mysterious scarecrow shows up in each of their fields and one by one the vigilantes are killed off.

What makes that movie so eerie, is the mood and musical score and just really good writing.

It's hard to find and only used VHS copies are available on amazon.com. But next year it is due for release on DVD.

Charles Durning and Larry Drake star in this.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 1 2008, 07:04 PM)

Yeah, I made a post about Dark Night of the Scarecrow in another thread - not to be confused with "Night of the Scarecrow" and "Scarecrow". "Dark Night..." was the first and was about an adult guy who was mentally retarded, who gets accused of a crime and is shot by 4 vigilantes. Turns out he was innocent, but the 4 vigilantes are deemed "not guilty" in court, but a mysterious scarecrow shows up in each of their fields and one by one the vigilantes are killed off.

What makes that movie so eerie, is the mood and musical score and just really good writing.

It's hard to find and only used VHS copies are available on amazon.com. But next year it is due for release on DVD.

Yes, that is the one I seen!

Very scary. scared.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 1 2008, 07:04 PM)

Ooh! Charles Durning, one of my favorites! I'll be checking this out. yes.gif

OMG, I loved all the movies (with the exception of Ghost Town, as I've never seen it) mentioned in this thread!

I taped "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" off channel 11 a while back, and to find out that it'll be released on DVD is way cool!

And the woman in Ghost Story was played by Alice Kridge, who also was in Sleepwalkers, and her perfromance on GS was eerilly good!

As far as I'm concerned, the old school ghost movies are better as far as scares are concerned, but today's movies do have that edge with special effects...

I for one, do NOT want to see a remake of Ghost Story, it just wouldn't be the same!!

Edited by PanaceaFish

gotta go with the old school on this one

I watched 'Ghost Story' recently and it held up

was pretty faithful to the book too if I recall correctly

'Dark Night of the Scarecrow' made an impression on me at the time also

Newer stuff. Too much CG, not enough decent storytelling? old.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 1 2008, 01:12 PM)

I never watched the origional "The Fog", all I saw was the shitty remake they did a couple of years ago.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 2 2008, 10:32 AM)

I never watched the origional "The Fog", all I saw was the shitty remake they did a couple of years ago.

The original "Fog" has a few actresses from "Halloween": Jamie Lee Curtis, Nancy Loomis, and a couple of others, plus John Houseman, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, and Adrienne Barbeau.

Also check out another good made for TV movie called "Don't Go To Sleep" from 1982 which stars Valerie Harper ("Rhoda"), Dennis Weaver, Ruth Gordon ("Rosemary's Baby"), and Oliver Robbins ("Poltergeist"). The entire movie is on YouTube in segments.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 2 2008, 07:32 AM)

The remake was SO BAD! I'd suggest you see the first one...it was really good! trink38.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 2 2008, 05:56 PM)
Yeah, that Fog remake was total shit. The original was fun but still very creepy.

Adrienne Barbeau is a smash in the original film. I got to meet her a couple of years ago when she hosted a filming of "The Fog". Great lady!

Her character, Stevie Wayne, is a DJ for a smooth jazz program. Her voice is soft and sexy when she's on the airwaves, but later in the film she's screaming into the microphone for someone to rescue her son from the Fog. It's hilarious watching her start out soft and get progressively neurotic with worry.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (MalNarpet @ Oct 2 2008, 09:32 AM)
gotta go with the old school on this one

I watched 'Ghost Story' recently and it held up
was pretty faithful to the book too if I recall correctly

'Dark Night of the Scarecrow' made an impression on me at the time also

Newer stuff. Too much CG, not enough decent storytelling? old.gif

Very good book if you like the genre. Peter Straub has all be been eclipsed by King. I like him better.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Oct 2 2008, 07:00 PM)
Anyone see "The Changeling" with George C. Scott???

yeah saw it as a kid. What I remember most about it was a an old-fashioned wheelchair moving around by itself. Freaked me out. Also scary was just the commercial for "Magic" with Tony Hopkins. It had a ventriloquist's dummy speaking.