True Blood

Necromancer

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 14 2010, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jun 13 2010, 10:19 PM)
Season 3 premier just aired. Haven't seen it yet, but will probably watch tomorrow night.

Anybody else watch it? If so, what are your thoughts? Will it be back to the brilliance of season 1 or the schtick of season 2?

SCHTICK. Complete and total.

I stopped watching after 20 minutes or so. I miss the coolness of season 1. I hung on through season 2 but was not happy.

I'm sad. The ONE current show I had some interest in...no longer.

HIGHLIGHT BELOW FOR SPOILERS PART:

I gotta say that I really don't get the hate for season 2 in any way, shape or form. confused13.gif

For my wife and I, the show has gotten better and better, and it was pretty amazing to start with. I LOVE how over the top it is- can you imagine a show this graphic and daring and out there 10 years ago, or 20? I loved the vampire hotel, the Dallas vampires, and all the Fellowship of the Sun stuff. I was actually kind of disappointed that Sookie and Jason had to come home. I also LOVE a show with a complexity of multiple storylines. It's all been pure win for us! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2010, 11:32 AM)
Season 3 premier just aired. Haven't seen it yet, but will probably watch tomorrow night.

Anybody else watch it? If so, what are your thoughts? Will it be back to the brilliance of season 1 or the schtick of season 2?

I stopped watching after 20 minutes or so. I miss the coolness of season 1. I hung on through season 2 but was not happy.

I gotta say that I really don't get the hate for season 2 in any way, shape or form. confused13.gif

For my wife and I, the show has gotten better and better, and it was pretty amazing to start with. I LOVE how over the top it is- can you imagine a show this graphic and daring and out there 10 years ago, or 20? I loved the vampire hotel, the Dallas vampires, and all the Fellowship of the Sun stuff. I was actually kind of disappointed that Sookie and Jason had to come home. I also LOVE a show with a complexity of multiple storylines. It's all been pure win for us! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Just a matter of opinion, obviously. I can understand why you like it, so why not understand why I don't? I don't like complex shows that make things so complicated. I never watched one episode of "Lost," but I can understand if some people loved it.

I read the Sookie books, and found the storylines more enjoyable - the show's writers have played fast and loose with much of that stuff. One reason for the hate for season 2? The maenad crap was a tiny sideline in the book - not a major thing at all.

The first season was simply the best - because it was centered on the main story of Sookie and Bill.

My opinion, and the backup for it. There ya go.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 14 2010, 10:05 AM)

Just a matter of opinion, obviously. I can understand why you like it, so why not understand why I don't? I don't like complex shows that make things so complicated. I never watched one episode of "Lost," but I can understand if some people loved it.

I read the Sookie books, and found the storylines more enjoyable - the show's writers have played fast and loose with much of that stuff. One reason for the hate for season 2? The maenad crap was a tiny sideline in the book - not a major thing at all.

The first season was simply the best - because it was centered on the main story of Sookie and Bill.

Yeah, for me the more complex it is the better. That is something I loved about Lost, I often love it in books and music, and even on reality television. I love Survivor because of the psychological complexity of all the different people and interrelationships and how the game is constantly changing and being completely re-written. I would draw the line at some point if a show just becomes wildly unfocused, but True Blood hasn't come close to approaching that for me.

Anyway, your views makes more sense now (not like you owed me an explanation), especially if you read the books - I find that is usually not a recipe for loving a movie or tv show if you have that to compare it to as usually the book wins. Sorry if I sounded disrespectful - it really is just a different perspective.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2010, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 14 2010, 10:05 AM)

Yeah, for me the more complex it is the better. That is something I loved about Lost, I often love it in books and music, and even on reality television. I love Survivor because of the psychological complexity of all the different people and interrelationships and how the game is constantly changing and being completely re-written. I would draw the line at some point if a show just becomes wildly unfocused, but True Blood hasn't come close to approaching that for me.

Anyway, your views makes more sense now (not like you owed me an explanation), especially if you read the books - I find that is usually not a recipe for loving a movie or tv show if you have that to compare it to as usually the book wins. Sorry if I sounded disrespectful - it really is just a different perspective.

Cheers. trink39.gif

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm not keen on these modern vampire shows. I mean aren't vampires meant to be scary? Even just a little bit? spooky even? Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Twilight, they appear to me to be romantic dramas featuring twentysomething/thirtysomethings picked for their pin-up potential, dressed up in the trappings of a vampire flick. Most of the these people don't look or act like vampires most of the time, except for the odd flash of fangs. And even when they go into "vamp" mode they seem more about superhuman strength than anything else...

Just my take...

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2010, 02:07 PM)
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm not keen on these modern vampire shows. I mean aren't vampires meant to be scary? Even just a little bit? spooky even? Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Twilight, they appear to me to be romantic dramas featuring twentysomething/thirtysomethings picked for their pin-up potential, dressed up in the trappings of a vampire flick. Most of the these people don't look or act like vampires most of the time, except for the odd flash of fangs. And even when they go into "vamp" mode they seem more about superhuman strength than anything else...

Just my take...

cool.gif

Um, ahem, forgive me for asking here, but, have you even seen this show? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 15 2010, 05:17 PM)

Just my take...

cool.gif

Um, ahem, forgive me for asking here, but, have you even seen this show? confused13.gif

Yes...

But don't bother replying goobs, I don't want to read it...I've made my point, that is all I'm going to say on the matter. Carry on with your normal chatter in here...

smile.gif

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jun 15 2010, 05:57 PM)
i agree with pat, the first season was good i think but now its way too much romance stuff and all that shite.

at least alan ball didnt mess up six feet biggrin.gif

trink39.gif

biggrin.gif

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2010, 03:37 PM)

Just my take...

cool.gif

Yes...

But don't bother replying goobs, I don't want to read it...I've made my point, that is all I'm going to say on the matter. Carry on with your normal chatter in here...

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Ok, you've made your point that this show you've never seen is just like the others when it's not. The vampires ARE scary. 1287.gif

Finally got around to watching the season 3 premier.

I think I agree with GG. There is just too much going on. The thing I liked about season 1 is it was pure popcorn fun. Meaning, you don't have to put much thought into it and you can just sit back and enjoy it. Maybe call it "Lost Backlash Syndrome" or something, but I liked just being able to sit down, veg out and be entertained. Not that I don't like shows that make you pay attention or think; I saw every episode of Lost.

Season 1 of True Blood was just fun pure and simple. It was a guilty pleasure that was campy, silly and somehow yet compelling to watch.

I think they've started to take themselves a bit more seriously than they should.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 15 2010, 06:36 PM)

Just my take...

cool.gif

Yes...

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Ok, you've made your point that this show you've never seen is just like the others when it's not. The vampires ARE scary. 1287.gif

santa Claus probably scares you!

I have seen it, it used to come on after boxing finished on HBO, I've seen several episodes and it's no better than Vampire Diaries which is dire...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2010, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 15 2010, 06:36 PM)

Just my take...

cool.gif

Yes...

smile.gif

laugh.gif

santa Claus probably scares you!

I have seen it, it used to come on after boxing finished on HBO, I've seen several episodes and it's no better than Vampire Diaries which is dire...

sorry, i misread your previous post.

anyway, IMHO - one of the best shows every on television yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jun 15 2010, 06:43 PM)
Finally got around to watching the season 3 premier.

I think I agree with GG. There is just too much going on. The thing I liked about season 1 is it was pure popcorn fun. Meaning, you don't have to put much thought into it and you can just sit back and enjoy it. Maybe call it "Lost Backlash Syndrome" or something, but I liked just being able to sit down, veg out and be entertained. Not that I don't like shows that make you pay attention or think; I saw every episode of Lost.

Season 1 of True Blood was just fun pure and simple. It was a guilty pleasure that was campy, silly and somehow yet compelling to watch.

I think they've started to take themselves a bit more seriously than they should.

Exactly. yes.gif

It's one of the fastest hours on television, and you just don't want the show to end. This season is kicking ass. 2nd best show on television, next to Entourage. HBO needs to move Hung out of the 10PM slot and put Entourage there in its place. That would be a perfect night of television, imo.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 12 2010, 05:42 AM)
It's one of the fastest hours on television, and you just don't want the show to end. This season is kicking ass.

goodpost.gif

The time just flies by. I'm left being immensely satisfied and desperately wanting more at the same time. yes.gif

True Blood is the only show i watch (err well download tongue.gif)

Ohh and last comic standing haha. But True blood rocks my socks.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 12 2010, 07:42 AM)
It's one of the fastest hours on television, and you just don't want the show to end.  This season is kicking ass.  2nd best show on television, next to Entourage.  HBO needs to move Hung out of the 10PM slot and put Entourage there in its place.  That would be a perfect night of television, imo.

True Blood, really? I watched a couple episodes S1 and it seemed like kind of a chick show -- a white trash goth version of Twilight.

The opening credits are very cool, but the vampires aren't original--just overly familiar dark, brooding and depressed... Like we've seen them in too many other better vampire films... and that kind of hurts a vampire show.

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Jul 16 2010, 03:35 PM)
The opening credits are very cool, but the vampires aren't original--just overly familiar dark, brooding and depressed... Like we've seen them in too many other better vampire films... and that kind of hurts a vampire show.

Keep watching. The start of Season 2 is bruuutal. And it only get better from there. This show is nothing like Twilight or any of those other wack ass vampire shows/movies. Does twilight have a vampire taking on a pack of wolfs and ripping off limbs? Hell no! True Blood is the best! ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

re: last Sunday's episode called "Trouble:"

man, I'm tempted to say that this show just gets better and better, but more realistically, it probably just maintains a very high quality. this show is just insanely good. i seem to be perpetually in a state of dying to know what happens next!