Entertainment Weekly: The Cult 25

MalNarpet

I'll do the work for ya and list the movies since I think this is a pretty darn good list. The list is contained to 1983 or later so no obvious ones like Rocky Horror, Harold & Maude or Star Wars.

25-- Decline Of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years

24-- Walking And Talking

23-- Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

22-- Love Streams

21-- Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai

20-- Rushmore

19-- Heathers

18-- They Live

17-- Showgirls

16-- Withnail & I

15-- Big Lebowski

14-- Re-Animator

13-- Clerks

12-- Stranger Than Paradise

11-- Toxic Avenger

10-- Akira

9--- Pee Wee's Big Adventure

8--- Evil Dead 2

7--- Hard Boiled

6--- Dazed And Confused

5--- Brazil

4--- This Is Spinal Tap

3--- Repo Man

2--- Scarface

1--- Shawshank Redemption

Wondering how some made the list - the #1 film in particular - I had to check for their definition of "cult film".

"...the movies from the past 25 years that may not be loved by all, but are all held dear by a legion of deeply devoted fans."

I would think that quirkiness would be a requisite trait as well (which would eliminate Shawshank - a great, great film), but I guess not.

Of those listed, Heathers, Lebowski, Brazil & Spinal Tap would make my list.

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 7 2008, 04:00 PM)
Wondering how some made the list - the #1 film in particular - I had to check for their definition of "cult film".

"...the movies from the past 25 years that may not be loved by all, but are all held dear by a legion of deeply devoted fans."

I would think that quirkiness would be a requisite trait as well (which would eliminate Shawshank - a great, great film), but I guess not.

Of those listed, Heathers, Lebowski, Brazil & Spinal Tap would make my list.

I've always considered Shawshank a cult movie. Remember it wasn't a big hit on release, it became one after release on video. I also don't think a movie has to be little known or have been seen by few people to be considered a cult flick. Titanic, at least at the time of release, was a cult flick since so many of the same people kept going back to watch it.

I suppose it's possible that just about any movie could have a strong enough base of devoted fans to make it a cult film, or at least a film with a cult following. I distinguish cult films from those with cult followings as those that don't have much appeal or fame beyond the devoted fanbase.

Frankly I'm not so sure how popular a movie like Shawshank really is. People who visit IMDb, let alone register and rate movies are already beyond your average filmgoer, so I don't think a high user rating on IMDb always fits with what the greater populace at large likes.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 7 2008, 03:54 PM)
The Fifth Element anyone?

What about The Breakfast Club?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 7 2008, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 7 2008, 03:54 PM)
The Fifth Element anyone?

What about The Breakfast Club?

"I bet those were a Christmas gift. You know what I got for Christmas last year, Claire? It was a banner f*ckin' year at the old Bender household! I got a carton of cigarettes! Old man grabbed me and said, 'Hey! Smoke up, Johnny!'

I LOVE The Breakfast Club.

There were other good cult movies prior to 1983.

One good cult flick is "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" from 1962 starring Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. Hysterical for a suspense flick!

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Sep 7 2008, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 7 2008, 07:04 PM)
Donnie Darko, anyone?

"You're such a f***ass."

"Did you just call me a f*ckass? You can go suck a f*ck!"

I love that movie.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't heard of #24 on the list. I may have to add it to my Netflix queue.

Where the hell is Heavy Metal Parking Lot?!

"You always mess things up"

"I've written a letter to daddy" - Baby Jane Hudson

Edited by circumstantial tree