Penn and Teller's Bull****

Schro

Finished watching Season One a few weeks ago, and it's some of the funniest material I've seen in ages. My wife and I have been in tears laughing so hard on several of the episodes. It airs on Showtime, which I don't have, but it came out on dvd and there's a movie store I go to that rents things like that.

Basically they take popular myths and debunk 'em til the cows come home. Nothing is spared - they tackle fad diets, bottled water, funeral industry, love and dating, supernatural occurences and much more. And when they add their infamous brand of humor to the mix, the end result is downright hilarious.

1st Season was nominated for an emmy for Outstanding Reality Program - surprised they didn't win it. One note of warning - they do attack religion once or twice as well, so if you're a deeply religious person or easily offended, either don't get it or just skip that episode.

C'mon folks, there has to be at least one other soul out there that's seen this and thinks it's as good as I do. Help me out here!

Here's a link if you want more info about the show.

http://origin.www.sho.com/site/announcements/040722penn.do

cool.gif

Schro

P.S. Just rented Season Two and can't watch it because the in-laws are in town, who.. let's just say they wouldn't get into it.

Edited by Schro

That is a terrific show. I did skip the religion episode, but I've seen all the others. I think more people should watch it. People swallow far too much crap nowadays and these guys make debunking entertaining.

Aha. Two more to add to the TV Personality thread. I remember the show they did with the bees....some of the stuff they do is frightening, but entertaining. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 9 2005, 11:07 AM)
That is a terrific show. I did skip the religion episode, but I've seen all the others. I think more people should watch it. People swallow far too much crap nowadays and these guys make debunking entertaining.

A great show. I've refered to the one they did on PETA in several threads before. You're right Jack, everybody should catch this show. yes.gif

I was going to start a thread on this one, but wisely searched the forum first.

Penn & teller are outstanding illusionists, and are continuing in the tradition of Harry Houdini and The Amazing Randi in debunking charletans and rip-off artists.

When they turn their gaze toward subjects outside the realm of the supernatural, alternative medicine and other areas where their experience as showmen and illusionists serves well, they can get a tad sloppy in their aim to critique.

One example is the PETA episode. I was with them as they exposed the rather crazed philosophy of many in that organization (which seems to think hurting people is OK, because people don't count.)

They lost me with that scene where Teller was eating chicken while video footage of chickens being debeaked and beheaded on a conveyor belt were shown behind. The idea was 'who cares? They're just chickens."

Well, I think that humane treatment of the animals we kill for food (and leather, and fur) is an important goal. Being desensitized to the suffering of a creature just because it's a farm animal perverts the person who stops caring. Unnecessary suffering should always be prevented. I was disappointed that Penn & Teller didn't draw that distinction.

Their treatment of 9-11 conspiracy nuts was right on the money. As Penn asks in the episode:

"19 a*****s conspired to hijack airplanes and throw them into buildings, killing thousands of people live on TV. This wasn't enough of a conspiracy for the conspiracy ****s?"

this show is great, one of the few programs on tv that I find I have to watch. the conspiracy theory episode was good, but one of their little experiments in that episode was off base......

best episode was the one where they went after people trying to "clean up" language. I never laughed so hard in my life.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 14 2006, 08:32 PM)
this show is great, one of the few programs on tv that I find I have to watch. the conspiracy theory episode was good, but one of their little experiments in that episode was off base......

best episode was the one where they went after people trying to "clean up" language. I never laughed so hard in my life.

Ye that was one of the 2 shows I've seen (along with the religion one)..Very funny indeed! laugh.gif

That lady who wanted to clean up language was so pathetic and annoying wacko.gif