'Highlander' remake in the works

Jack Aubrey

This just in from The Hollywood Reporter:

May 20, 2008, 02:39 PM
Who says there can be only one?

Summit Entertainment is bringing back to the big screen the 1986 sci-fi cult hit "Highlander," with "Iron Man" co-writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway on board to pen the reimagining.

The original "Highlander" starred Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and Clancy Brown as immortal beings battling among humans, hunting down one another and collecting more power. Lambert played Scottish swordsman Connor MacLeod, Connery an Egyptian and Clancy a barbarian known as the Kurgan. "There can be only one" was a line repeated throughout the film. The movie spawned four sequels and three television series.

Summit acquired the rights to remake the cult classic from Davis/Panzer Prods. Peter Davis, one of the original producers of the 1986 film, also will produce the new film.

By acquiring the rights to the property, Summit gains a recognizable brand and a franchise with worldwide popularity amonng both the young and old.

Summit's president of production Erik Feig, along with the company's senior vp production Geoff Shaevitz and creative executive Gillian Bohrer, will oversee the project for the studio.

Marcum and Holloway, repped by ICM, also penned a remake of Sam Peckinpah's "Convoy," set up at Paramount.

Jack here: even though 'Highlander' was a damned cool movie you have to admit that Lambert's wooden performance was pretty bad. A Scot with a French accent?! Come on! Not to mention that the special effects were just lousy and let's not forget that the sequels were weapons-grade crap. I think a remake of 'Highlander' will do well and I look forward to it.

The series was so much better, but the movies based on the series sucked bad. Adrian Paul totally lost focus. The last made for tv movie that was supposed to answer all the questions was probably the worst movie i've ever seen. I was very dissapointed.

From what I've read, Adrian owns a HUGE percentage of the franchise and has a lot to say about stuff like this. I'll have to dig some info out on that. He's been quoted in the past as saying that he'd never allow this. But then again... money can change anyone's mind. laugh.gif

It sounds crazy, but it was not unusual, in-fact quite common, at that time for Scots to speak with a French accent. Both countries were strong allies; "the auld alliance or entente cordial".

To this day, a lot of French origin words are used in Scotland. Where I am from originally, Edinburgh, a lot of street names are French derivatives.

Most famously, Mary Queen Of Scots was also Queen Of France and reportedly spoke her "native language" of French in both Courts - her Mother was also French and of course Charles Edward Stuart, aka Bonnie Prince Charlie, didn't speak English at all, French primarily then Italian and Latin.

Gaelic was the native tongue (which can be traced to Northern France also). English was not the language of choice for a Scotsman .

Sorry, history lesson over.

"I have something to say, it's better to burn out than fade away".

Exactly, they should have dropped it after the first, fabulous, camp-as-f*ck, dodgy-accented, mad as a box of frogs original.

I loved the first, the rest blew. And the Queen soundtrack rocked!

QUOTE (JayGeeEmme @ May 21 2008, 08:15 AM)
It sounds crazy, but it was not unusual, in-fact quite common, at that time for Scots to speak with a French accent. Both countries were strong allies; "the auld alliance or entente cordial".

To this day, a lot of French origin words are used in Scotland. Where I am from originally, Edinburgh, a lot of street names are French derivatives.

Most famously, Mary Queen Of Scots was also Queen Of France and reportedly spoke her "native language" of French in both Courts - her Mother was also French and of course Charles Edward Stuart, aka Bonnie Prince Charlie, didn't speak English at all, French primarily then Italian and Latin.

Gaelic was the native tongue (which can be traced to Northern France also). English was not the language of choice for a Scotsman .

I know all that but I maintain that your average Scottish clansman would've had a deep brogue.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 21 2008, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (JayGeeEmme @ May 21 2008, 08:15 AM)

I know all that but I maintain that your average Scottish clansman would've had a deep brogue.

Can't comment, I only have a slight brogue.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 21 2008, 09:06 AM)
I *loved* the original Highlander and I dread to think what an embarrassment they may make with a remake. Good god if it's 1/4 as bad as the Highlander sequels... *gack*

I'm with ya there, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

It had better be DAM good for me to like a remake. I have both the Highlander movies and to make a remake any good they will of course have to use super special effects to try and hide the shitty acting angry.gif tongue.gif Edited by Lady April