Dallas Mavericks Fire Avery Johnson

sullysue

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8091036?MSNHPHMA

One dumbass move after another, and Dallas will be back at the bottom of the pile in no time. They just about lost this long-time fan with that Kidd-Harris trade, and now this. Say what you will about Johnson. I would have liked to see Mark Cuban pull his head out of his ass instead of firing A.J.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 1 2008, 05:57 AM)
I couldn't agree with you more Sullysue. After a few years of the misery that is to come, hopefully Cuban will be able to chalk it up as a learning experience.

You'd hope so. But, I see Cuban as one of those control freak types who would rather jump off a cliff than admit he may have been wrong. I know his kind: "Don't question my authority. I'm right, so deal with it. I'm the boss of all of you, so don't piss me off," so on and so forth. He's also completely insane. So, that doesn't help either. I see really bad things happening for the Dallas Mavericks. Worse case scenario will be when JET decides he's had enough and Dirk gets traded off for another has been retiree. A.J. may not have been able to get the team a championship, but he pulled that team together and kept them tight. Something tells me that brining Kidd in didn't sit well with him, and he went toe-to-toe with Nutjob over it. Never argue with a crazy person. That's what I say.

Personally i believe Cuban gave Avery all the componants to win a title, and they should have never gotten demoralized by the Heat in the finals. Cuban may be an idiot in alot of ways but as an owner he has spent tons of money to win, treated his players like royalty, and made every effort to bring a championship to Dallas. In the end, his players and his coach could not deliver. Thats the way i see it.

You want something to complain about, become a Knicks fan or take our baffoon of an owner. I think i need not say anymore, if your an NBA fan, you know the Knicks over the last 5 years have beed the biggest disgrace in NBA history. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 1 2008, 11:25 AM)
Personally i believe Cuban gave Avery all the componants to win a title, and they should have never gotten demoralized by the Heat in the finals. Cuban may be an idiot in alot of ways but as an owner he has spent tons of money to win, treated his players like royalty, and made every effort to bring a championship to Dallas. In the end, his players and his coach could not deliver. Thats the way i see it.
You want something to complain about, become a Knicks fan or take our baffoon of an owner. I think i need not say anymore, if your an NBA fan, you know the Knicks over the last 5 years have beed the biggest disgrace in NBA history. yes.gif

That Isiah still receives a paycheck from any NBA franchise is an absolute disgrace. He was one of the best point guards to play the game, but also one of the worst front office men ever.

The rumor is that Cuban trumped Avery for the Kidd trade. If this is true, then Cuban is just as much at fault than Avery and the team. Cuban will turn on a dime sometimes. I do agree with you that the loss to the Heat played a part in it. So did getting knocked out in the first round last year. In the end, the trade was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Wow. I think Mark Cuban is a great owner but this is a terrible decision. We really need Don Nelson back as our coach. The Kidd deal should never have been done either. Two terrible decisions this year by Mark.

Word is that Mike D'Antoni's head may be on the chopping block, a scapegoat for the worst trade of the year - the Shaq deal.

QUOTE (goose @ May 1 2008, 05:09 PM)
Word is that Mike D'Antoni's head may be on the chopping block, a scapegoat for the worst trade of the year - the Shaq deal.

Now he's considered a candidate to be the next head coach of the Mavs.

You know, it's not fun being a Dallas sports fan these days. This whole Mavericks debacle, The Rangers (need I say more?), and Packman Jones coming to the Cowboys is enough for me to pull my hair out. Thank God for the Stars.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 1 2008, 06:50 PM)

Now he's considered a candidate to be the next head coach of the Mavs.

He would be a good replacement

I think Steve Kerr is more to blame for that trade............there is talk about D'Antoni going to either Chicago or Toronto...........not sure about Dallas...........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2008, 08:02 PM)

I think Steve Kerr is more to blame for that trade............there is talk about D'Antoni going to either Chicago or Toronto...........not sure about Dallas...........

I would bet Toronto, as Bryan Colangelo is the GM there now. He hired D'Antoni when he was GM in Phoenix.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 1 2008, 08:12 PM)

I would bet Toronto, as Bryan Colangelo is the GM there now. He hired D'Antoni when he was GM in Phoenix.

Possibly.........I don't even think D'Antoni has been fired yet, or has he?

I agree with you up to a point. I hate to harp on this one aspect, but that trade package to bring Kidd to Dallas was the most monumental f-up the Mavs have executed since Dennis Rodman was brought in. Harris is an NBA super-star in the making. Letting him go is one of the greatest tragedies in this team's history. He was thriving with the Mavs. The team was so close and knew how to play off of each other so well that it was second nature. I agree that changes needed to be made in order for them to get a championship. But, I think those changes needed to come in the form of a more aggressive style of play on both ends of the court. They went wobbly when it counted the most to be balls to the wall. Dirk needs to hang up the gentle giant act and get down to brass tacks. When that guy poked him in the face, he should have decked the shit out of him, just out of principle. Bottom line is Johnson saw the team he had built and nurtured falling apart before his eyes. It was a devastating move on so many levels.

rantoff.gif I'm so pissed, I can hardly see straight.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2008, 08:17 PM)

Haven't heard anything to that effect.

I'm starting to think that the Suns are setting, so to speak. Shaq's contract is going to be a huge albatross in the next couple of years if they start to struggle. They could have let Marion stay through the season and signed a younger and healthier marquee player with the money freed up by Marion opting out. Instead, they are stuck with Shaq's contract. I'm not so sure I am looking forward to the Sarver era, becacuse for as long as I've been alive, Jerry Colangelo was in charge of personnel. Jerry always put together teams that could contend, even if they never did win a title.

As for the Mavs, I didn't like trading for Kidd, either. I was so glad when the Suns traded him away, even though Marbury was the guy they got for him. Thankfully Isiah took him off our hands. (Yes, Isiah is the worst GM I've ever seen.) The Suns had a nightmare on their hands. They had a team that could win 50 games every year, but nobody wanted to see these guys play. The arrests for domestic violence and drug issues just turned off the fan base. It was the crowning achievement of the Colangelo era to trade that team away and build a real contender after that. I'm thinking the Mavs dealt him for a reason the first time around, though they did get Nash and Finley in that deal.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 1 2008, 10:41 PM)

I'm starting to think that the Suns are setting, so to speak. Shaq's contract is going to be a huge albatross in the next couple of years if they start to struggle. They could have let Marion stay through the season and signed a younger and healthier marquee player with the money freed up by Marion opting out. Instead, they are stuck with Shaq's contract. I'm not so sure I am looking forward to the Sarver era, becacuse for as long as I've been alive, Jerry Colangelo was in charge of personnel. Jerry always put together teams that could contend, even if they never did win a title.

As for the Mavs, I didn't like trading for Kidd, either. I was so glad when the Suns traded him away, even though Marbury was the guy they got for him. Thankfully Isiah took him off our hands. (Yes, Isiah is the worst GM I've ever seen.) The Suns had a nightmare on their hands. They had a team that could win 50 games every year, but nobody wanted to see these guys play. The arrests for domestic violence and drug issues just turned off the fan base. It was the crowning achievement of the Colangelo era to trade that team away and build a real contender after that. I'm thinking the Mavs dealt him for a reason the first time around, though they did get Nash and Finley in that deal.

Please don't get me started on all of that. But, it's all good dumping a player for developing a record. It's quite another looking a key player in the eye and saying, "We have this big time guy coming in and you're the cost." Cold. Just cold. Bad. dazed025.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 2 2008, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 1 2008, 10:41 PM)

Please don't get me started on all of that. But, it's all good dumping a player for developing a record. It's quite another looking a key player in the eye and saying, "We have this big time guy coming in and you're the cost." Cold. Just cold. Bad. dazed025.gif

Cuban is going to have to learn the hard way about disrupting the chemistry of a team and mortgaging the future for a possible title today, it looks like.

Here's a report...

"An SI.com report on Tuesday night said the coach will not return after his team was eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in five games in their best-of-7 first-round playoff series. D'Antoni has two years and $8.5 million left on his contract.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr denied the report, Arizona Republic reporter Paul Coro said Wednesday morning on ESPN's "First Take."

"I talked to Steve Kerr this morning and he also asked Mike D'Antoni about that story last night and he denied it," Coro said. "He said Mike D'Antoni is still their coach and he's done a great job the last four years.

"They obviously have some things they might want to go over, philosophical differences and such. But Mike D'Antoni is still the coach."

So, there you have it. Translation: Mike's done.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ May 3 2008, 10:00 AM)

Here's a report...

"An SI.com report on Tuesday night said the coach will not return after his team was eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in five games in their best-of-7 first-round playoff series. D'Antoni has two years and $8.5 million left on his contract.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr denied the report, Arizona Republic reporter Paul Coro said Wednesday morning on ESPN's "First Take."

"I talked to Steve Kerr this morning and he also asked Mike D'Antoni about that story last night and he denied it," Coro said. "He said Mike D'Antoni is still their coach and he's done a great job the last four years.

"They obviously have some things they might want to go over, philosophical differences and such. But Mike D'Antoni is still the coach."

laugh.gif

Yeah, it's just Steve Kerr is more PROFESSIONAL than Mark Cuban........he will likely fire D'Antoni, but not an hour or so after the game........Mark Cuban has to learn HOW to do things properly without always looking like an idiot to the public eye...........

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 3 2008, 09:23 AM)
Cuban didn't waste any time in finding a new coach.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8100596?MSNHPHMA

This guy's record doesn't sound too good. Here we go. The downfall starts now.

Carlilse isnt a bad coach.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 3 2008, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ May 3 2008, 10:00 AM)

Here's a report...

laugh.gif

Yeah, it's just Steve Kerr is more PROFESSIONAL than Mark Cuban........he will likely fire D'Antoni, but not an hour or so after the game........Mark Cuban has to learn HOW to do things properly without always looking like an idiot to the public eye...........

goodpost.gif

Archived