National Day of Silence

iluvgeddy05

Hey everyone,

I want to start this thread about something very dear to my heart. Today is National Day of Silence -- a day to raise awareness about discrimination targeted primarily towards those who have a "different" sexual orientation. However, this day is also about remembering those discriminated against for ANY reason, whether it be race, gender, nationality, etc.

The point of today is to protest such discrimination by remaining silent. So many people are silenced because of who they are and are afraid to speak out because they may be made fun of or, to the extreme, be the victim of a hate crime. By remaining silent today, we symbolize all those who are silent everyday because of hate.

This day started way back in 1996 at the University of Virginia as a class activity demonstrating peaceful protests. This day has since influenced many schools, from Kindergarten to college, to stage this peaceful yet effective protest. When I was in college 3 years ago, I participated and even did so my first year at work after school.

One does not need to remain silent all day. Some just protest hatred by being silent for part of the day, such as their lunch hour. Others simply try to tell others about this day, such as I am doing.

Please go to this site for more information:

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

I realize this could become controversial, but PLEASE remember, no matter your views on those who are "different", hatred, in particular violent hatred, is simply wrong and must be stopped. Those who do not agree with alternate lifestyles , religions, etc. should try to respect those people instead of discriminating against.

Thanks for reading this. If you have a child who participated in school today, them thanks for their peaceful actions. Perhaps if this is dear to your child's heart as well, they can raise awareness in their school and maybe even next year have their own National Day of Silence, no matter how small the protest it. And finally, if you choose to be silent for part of this day, please realize your actions are making a world of difference to those who are wrongfully treated everyday because of who they are.

smile.gif

Ah I didn't know that was today!

My best friend growing up is gay and often dressed up like a women. I loved him, I always supported him. I always felt so bad for him because his dad hated him and would beat him for dressing up. I just couldn't understand it, he's your damn son... ya I'm going to be silent now.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Great post.

The really sad part is that I was reading some accounts of peoples' experiences on the Day of Silence, and I remember one person saying that some complete a**holes took his silence as an opportunity to yell even more homophobic slurs at him.

It saddens me that many of my friends have to live in fear because of who they are. Here's hoping that the day of silence brought some more awareness to this issue, because even in the most enlightened places it can still be dangerous to be gay, bi, or trans.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 25 2008, 09:30 AM)
Those who do not agree with alternate lifestyles , religions, etc. should try to respect those people instead of discriminating against.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

No one has EVER commented on the rainbow flag in my sig, but I have it there in support of equal rights for the GLBT community. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2008, 07:40 PM)
Those who do not agree with alternate lifestyles , religions, etc. should try to respect those people instead of discriminating against.

No one has EVER commented on the rainbow flag in my sig, but I have it there in support of equal rights for the GLBT community. yes.gif

Gary would you mind if I put it in my sig as well?

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Apr 25 2008, 08:00 PM)

Hey man, I don't own it - feel free. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2008, 12:03 AM)

Admit it Mr. Goober - you just have that in your sig cuz you think rainbows are *trippy*.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 25 2008, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2008, 12:03 AM)

Admit it Mr. Goober - you just have that in your sig cuz you think rainbows are *trippy*.

cool10.gif

It was really just because my sig needed a splash of color. tongue.gif

I participated. So did about 20 kids at my school. A few got in trouble.

The middle of Missouri is not very open to....anything.

So, I'm raising a huge big deal about it with my principal (actually, this is nothing new. I write for the school paper, think he's a miserable excuse for a person for a few reasons, and really hate my school district)...

So anyway, yeah, that's my (brief) story about today.

That's great, Gary new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have a half brother that's gay and I guess he went though shit growing up so I was as silent as possible out of respect.

on a lighter note, now that "national day of silence" is over, can we have a "NATURAL day of SCIENCE"? 1022.gif THE MESS AND THE MAGIC... 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2008, 11:03 PM)

Ok I just did it!

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Apr 26 2008, 04:10 AM)

on a lighter note, now that "national day of silence" is over, can we have a "NATURAL day of SCIENCE"? 1022.gif THE MESS AND THE MAGIC... 1022.gif

lol rock on!

I know some places the night of NDOS would have Night of Noise where those who participated would "break the silence" (literally) by gathering somewhere outside and shouting, wooing, etc. That was always fun.

Anyway, thanks for everyone who read this thread and replied!

One of my friends helped organize the event at my school. Honestly, while I think the cause is great, I don't think the method is really the best. This kind of self-segregation, especially at a school, really only encourages the idiots who get a kick out of picking on "gays". And generally, people don't tend to react too well to someone who refuses to speak.

A lot of schools here had an anti-bullying day (there might have been a thread about it) where everyone wore pink t-shirts. That one turned out far better than the day of silence did. If this protest was something more like that, I might have participated.

I just don't think this was the best way to do it.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 26 2008, 11:29 AM)
One of my friends helped organize the event at my school. Honestly, while I think the cause is great, I don't think the method is really the best. This kind of self-segregation, especially at a school, really only encourages the idiots who get a kick out of picking on "gays". And generally, people don't tend to react too well to someone who refuses to speak.

At least it rasises awareness. People who choose to respond idiotically probably would at another method too, whether it was a march or wearing a pin or whatever. If people choose to parade their ignorance and bigotry, that raises some awareness about them too, huh? wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2008, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 26 2008, 11:29 AM)

At least it rasises awareness. People who choose to respond idiotically probably would at another method too, whether it was a march or wearing a pin or whatever. If people choose to parade their ignorance and bigotry, that raises some awareness about them too, huh? wink.gif

If you have enough people remain silent as a protest, it speaks volumes which is my opinion.

Archived