Houston We Have Landed

CountFloyd

Midway.. you wont be disappointed! Saw the boys last August and it was still a fresh show to me!

They apologized for the 2 date changes, and the crowd let them know it was ok. The place was packed.

It really seemed like they were trying to put extra effort into this show, above and beyond what I saw last year.

Looked like they were in a "RUSH" when it came to moving gear out and Alex's barbies were no were to be seen.

However, they were in no "Rush" as far as performance time went. The show started about 7:45 and went to 11 pm.

Thank you 2.gif

Hello, long time lurker & first time poster. I was at the Woodlands show tonight, and thought I'd add my review.

First, the scheduling issue caused the concert to move from a day where I was free to a day where I had three of my own shows to do. Nothing on the scale of a Rush concert, but grueling nonetheless. My last show ended at 5:00, I quickly got out of costume and drove the hour north to the Woodlands Pavilion. Great venue, wish it was actually in Houston. I arrived, a bit frazzled, just before the gates opened. Upon entering, I was offered a tour program, which I started to decline until I heard the magic word "complimentary!" A very nice apology for the scheduling snafu. biggrin.gif

Made my way out onto the hill, and found a spot about a third of the way up the hill, dead center. Last August, I noticed the crowd starting to trend to more females, and this show continued that trend. I'd estimate at least 20% of the attendees I saw were women. The hill seemed fullish, but we weren't very tightly packed, so I'd guess maybe half full. But very enthusiastic. I asked an employee on the way out, and he estimated about 7,000 attended. The reserved seats looked mostly full.

The show itself was phenomenal. Previous shows I'd sat on the sides to get better views, but being a little farther back center resulted in a much better sound quality. Center from now on for me! The boys sounded great and very tight. Geddy's voice was smooth as silk. Alex's guitar roared. The Professor . . . Well, words escape me. I could watch that guy hit things with sticks all day. He seems to occasionally turn into an octopus. The light show was gorgeous, but a little too heavy on strobes, IMO. And, as a special "hill only" treat, I got to watch the full moon rise over the Pavilion as they played. All in all, one of the best shows I've seen them do. But in all fairness, the best concert of theirs I've seen tends to be which ever one I just attended!

SPOILERS!!!!! (SPOLIERS?) Below

Two issues I've seen debated on this forum: does the S & A block that starts off the second set suck the life out of the audience? Are the setlist changes really worthwhile?

I watched the crowd during the 5 S & A songs in a row. During Farcry, everyone on the hill and in the reserved seats were on their feet. This continued during WTA and A & S. The folks in the reserved seats were on their feet for the next two as well (the entire show actually). During Spindrift I noticed small groups of people on the hill sitting, and these groups got a little larger during TWTWB, but was never more than20 - 30 % of the crowd. So, the S & A material really didn't seem to be letting anyone down.

The setlist changes seem minor on paper, but make a big difference in the feel of the show, IMO. The added classics really seemed to please an already happy crowd. If nothing else, the end of show block of TSOR-2112-TS is a mighty run of powerful songs!

I am glad that the S and A songs are still going over so well and thanks for your well written report and WELCOME TO TRF Merely Space, 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

CFloyd, some tips on posting pics?

send a message and I'll get it.

thnx,

Osage

QUOTE (ShowOfGlands @ Apr 20 2008, 01:21 AM)
Yeah everyone in the reserved section was on their feet for the WHOLE show. I wasn't expecting that. The crowd was really awesome. And so was the show.

DAMN STRAIGHT, BABY!!!!!

1022.gif

That place was rocking, and from my seat, it was tough to hear Geddy talking between songs a couple times because of the noise! The audience was absolutely fantastic, except for the person who spilled beer and it ran down on the back of my tourbook. The band was perfect, the show was perfect. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (CountFloyd @ Apr 20 2008, 02:22 AM)
Taken from 6th row with a Sony Erricson Cell phone.... 3.2m

Geddy's voice was GREAT... did not hear him sing this high last year.

Great show.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Zissouz/rush_2008_Houston/A.jpg

more pics at:
http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Z...h_2008_Houston/

NatSci! biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing!

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 20 2008, 03:04 AM)
does the S & A block that starts off the second set suck the life out of the audience? 

Actually, I noticed a strange thing at the Orlando show. The S&A set and following songs had the crowd eating out of their hands. It was an "old-school" atmosphere. The band was smiling and having fun. Then suddenly, Tom Sawyer literally sucked the energy right out of the air.

The band was no longer smiling, the "moment" was gone, and I realized perhaps it's time to retire the ole' song. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Apr 20 2008, 05:32 PM)

That place was rocking, and from my seat, it was tough to hear Geddy talking between songs a couple times because of the noise! The audience was absolutely fantastic, except for the person who spilled beer and it ran down on the back of my tourbook. The band was perfect, the show was perfect. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I hear ya and agree 100% I hope I wasn't that guy sitting behind you. We got up at intermission for a few minutes and I saw that someone had kicked over my drink while we were gone.

We were in the back of the reserved section.

I thought the crowd participation was great...even in recognizing and standing for the S&A material.

QUOTE (Bold As Love @ Apr 20 2008, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Apr 20 2008, 05:32 PM)

That place was rocking, and from my seat, it was tough to hear Geddy talking between songs a couple times because of the noise! The audience was absolutely fantastic, except for the person who spilled beer and it ran down on the back of my tourbook. The band was perfect, the show was perfect.  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

I hear ya and agree 100% I hope I wasn't that guy sitting behind you. We got up at intermission for a few minutes and I saw that someone had kicked over my drink while we were gone.

We were in the back of the reserved section.

I thought the crowd participation was great...even in recognizing and standing for the S&A material.

Yes, it was you, then; and the only way I can forgive you will be if you buy me some of the Rush boxers tongue.gif

Nah, I was up at the front. I keep getting these vivid flashes man. Too perfect a show.

I would like to add.... I took my 16 year old daughter and she was singing all of the S & A songs.... I had NO idea she knew the words, that was fricken awsome cool.gif

There were quite a few females at the show, more than before... 2 in in the second row danced and literally jumped up and down almost the entire show.

With that said, added a 2 more pics to the linked album including this one. Again these are with a cell so quality is so so. My understanding is the Sony Erricson 850 5mp is excellent and most places dont care if you use a cell for pics.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Zissouz/rush_2008_Houston/12.jpg

Archived