Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 27 2010, 09:45 PM)
Got my copy of Recordings today.

so, so cool...

Sullysue, this goes for Maple Oaks, Tangy, The Owl, and anyone else here who is able to appreciate BOTH Porcupine Tree and Opeth...

I cite the fact that an appreciation of both bands is necessary here for what I'm about to add, because this other group that I'm thinking of seems to fall somewhere right smack dab in the middle of these other two, somewhat closely aligned musical directions...

The key here is an open-mind and a willingness to put in the time necessary to let this new band's sound completely unfold for you...Because, once acquainted, theres's a more than fair chance that you will think of this new group, along with the other two, as the holy triumvirate.

The band's name is AGALLOCH...They're an American outfit, but everything about them screams Europe...You will think they're either, British, Dutch or Scandanavian...anything but American...And, that's a great thing when it comes to this brand of music.

You will absolutely NEED TO check out both Agalloch full-length titles, 'The Mantle' and 'Ashes Against The Grain'...The band has also put together a handful of worthy EPs, but these two full length titles is where your journey should begin...You will have plenty time for the EPs.

I am not even going to cite which label, tag or sub-genre that this band usually gets attached to it, because it clearly does not do the band any service whatsoever, and it certainly is NOT indicative of the music you are about to hear...NOT AT ALL.

The music you are going to hear is BY FAR the most ATMOSPHERIC and layered, HIGH QUALITY music that you've ever heard...with tons of amazing acoustic and electric instruments combining to create some breathtaking soundscapes...This stuff has to be highly favored by guys like Wilson and Akerfeldt. I wouldn't be surprised to hear its amongst their favourite new stuff.

Sullysue, I definitely DID NOT let you down with the introduction to ANEKDOTEN, and you will not be let down here either...Thing is, AGALLOCH's music IS as complex and as highly nuanced as both Porcupine Tree and Opeth's material, so YOU WILL WANT to give this band some time to click with you...It's well worth the continued effort.

And, because of its MELLOW and ATMOSPHERIC COMPLEXITY, you'll probably want to reserve this bands' work for night-time listening...That's when I usually pull Agalloch out...I'm going to spin them right now, of course, because I've just sold myself on how awesome they truly are...lol...but I usually never listen to them in the daytime.

PLEASE, PT AND OPETH FANS, GIVE THIS BAND AGALLOCH A FAIR TRY. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. You can hook me up with a quick thanks later...Good vibes to you and yours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agalloch

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1933

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=agalloch&ih=6_1_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.171_158&fsc=3&x=9&y=14

Edited by thelocator

locator, it's hard to ignore your impassioned suggestions laugh.gif , and you didn't let me down with Anekdoten. But, let me get through some other stuff I've been trying lately, and I'll give Agalloch a listen.

I'm sooooo digging the full-length version of Even Less.

"f**k you and your book, too.

You can have it back."

Awesome

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 27 2010, 07:04 AM)
I've been sick, so not sure if this has been posted or not, but I hear their Radio City Music Hall show in September is going to be the last performance of The Incident in full and then the remaining two hours (yes, a 3 hour set!) will be material only up to (and including) Stupid Dream. So it looks like yet another stellar DVD will be on its way with little crossover material to their other two DVDs so far. Nice!

Sadly, this is not to be.

From PTOfficial on twitter:

"Sorry folks, there are no plans to film either Radio City or Albert Hall shows - we want these ones to live on in the memory only."

sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 28 2010, 04:21 PM)
locator, it's hard to ignore your impassioned suggestions laugh.gif , and you didn't let me down with Anekdoten. But, let me get through some other stuff I've been trying lately, and I'll give Agalloch a listen.

You can have it back."

Awesome

Maple O, you plan on checking into my top-shelf suggestion, friend?

I wouldn't let you down neither, my man...You and me, we solid like dat. It's a matter of trust now...I give you something like, go out on a limb like dat and share, we become brothers...I go outta my way for every day you thereafter.

SullySue says: "I'm sooooo digging the full-length version of Even Less."

Is it anything more than just putting Pts. 1 & 2 together? 'Cause I can do that with my Audacity program.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 28 2010, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 28 2010, 04:21 PM)
locator, it's hard to ignore your impassioned suggestions  laugh.gif , and you didn't let me down with Anekdoten. But, let me get through some other stuff I've been trying lately, and I'll give Agalloch a listen.

You can have it back."

Awesome

I wouldn't let you down neither, my man...You and me, we solid like dat. It's a matter of trust now...I give you something like, go out on a limb like dat and share, we become brothers...I go outta my way for every day you thereafter.

SullySue says: "I'm sooooo digging the full-length version of Even Less."

Is it anything more than just putting Pts. 1 & 2 together? 'Cause I can do that with my Audacity program.

I guess it is. Yeah. Pretty much.

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 28 2010, 07:58 PM)
From memory only? No prob! Who's got a ticket to these shows! We'll set you up with nano-tech camera eyeballs interfaced with a million GB hardrive and virtual memory! Ha!

THIS is the best idea EVER!!!!

Who's gonna take one for the team and switch out their eyeballs for the thingamajigs MO&PT has in mind? Small sacrifice, if you ask me. AND... we'd all love you forever and ever. yes.gif

This just in on PTOfficial on twitter:

"Almost every PT show is recorded for the archive, so an audio live release might be possible. We have many Incident shows recorded."

That's cool.

I still think the eyeball idea would work. You guys buy me my plane ticket, a ticket to the show, a night's stay at the Ritz, a grand of "fun" money, throw in a bionic liver, and I'll do it.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 28 2010, 07:25 PM)

"Almost every PT show is recorded for the archive, so an audio live release might be possible. We have many Incident shows recorded."

That's cool.

I still think the eyeball idea would work. You guys buy me my plane ticket, a ticket to the show, a night's stay at the Ritz, a grand of "fun" money, throw in a bionic liver, and I'll do it.

. . . and vicodin for the nano-tech retinal implants. I forgot to mention the 36 hour headaches that occur after waking up from the anesthesia, plus the nausea that is accompanied by the augmented-high speed auto focus of the enhanced pupil/iris. It takes some getting used to.

The upside is that the bionic implant for the million GB memory system works with the human brain in stages so as not to overwhelm the recipient/user with the higer attrition rate of raw data. Oh . . . and did I mention that we'll be able to see everything (simultaneously) through the user's eyes? A com system is optional. Some folks don't like us "mad scientists" being inside their heads.

Ready? Okay, just sit back, look at the CD and count backwards from 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 . . . schla03.gif

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4ADBF_e...iw=1259&bih=823

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 28 2010, 10:24 PM)

That's cool.

. . . and vicodin for the nano-tech retinal implants. I forgot to mention the 36 hour headaches that occur after waking up from the anesthesia, plus the nausea that is accompanied by the augmented-high speed auto focus of the enhanced pupil/iris. It takes some getting used to.

The upside is that the bionic implant for the million GB memory system works with the human brain in stages so as not to overwhelm the recipient/user with the higer attrition rate of raw data. Oh . . . and did I mention that we'll be able to see everything (simultaneously) through the user's eyes? A com system is optional. Some folks don't like us "mad scientists" being inside their heads.

Ready? Okay, just sit back, look at the CD and count backwards from 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 . . .

...ok. I'm ready. wacko.gif

...don't forget the liver, k? I'll need that. Deal-breaker stuff right there.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 28 2010, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 28 2010, 07:58 PM)
From memory only?  No prob!  Who's got a ticket to these shows!  We'll set you up with nano-tech camera eyeballs interfaced with a million GB hardrive and virtual memory!  Ha!

THIS is the best idea EVER!!!!

Who's gonna take one for the team and switch out their eyeballs for the thingamajigs MO&PT has in mind? Small sacrifice, if you ask me. AND... we'd all love you forever and ever. yes.gif

Yes, now if it will only work! Ten volunteers (the most recent) suffered from severe overload and system crash. Acute cardiac arrest and severe brain hemorrhage accompanied the surgery. I guess we have a few bugs yet to work out. Sigh . . . fing.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 28 2010, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 28 2010, 10:24 PM)

That's cool.

Ready? Okay, just sit back, look at the CD and count backwards from 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 . . .

...ok. I'm ready. wacko.gif

...don't forget the liver, k? I'll need that. Deal-breaker stuff right there.

Ah yes, the liver . . .

I think I have one right here, whoops, just dropped it on the floor. Nurse? Apply the moist toilettes and 50 cc's of alcohol solution to clean the liver before surgical procedure.

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 28 2010, 10:34 PM)

[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestion, Locator, but I'll stick with Porcupine Tree!

I dun' git it, man...That's your band, PT...as in 'singular'...and you're not even interested in maybe checking out something which I'm telling you might appeal to a PT fan?

What are ya, the evil antithesis to SullySue?...a woman who's obviously got a mind as wide open as the sky itself when it comes to musical explorations and adventures? Are you her evil twin? BizzaroSue, perhaps?

Steven Wilson's Playlist

August 29, 2010

Luciano Cilio - Dell' Universo Assente

Cardiacs - Sing to God

Soft Machine - Softs

Eela Craig - One Niter

Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage (DVD)

Toshi Ichiyanagi - Opera from the Works of Tadanori Yokoo

The Dear Hunter - Act III : Life and Death

Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises

Aphex Twin - Drukqs

Surgeon - Compliance Momentum

http://www.swhq.co.uk/index.cfm

Edited by sullysue

Thanks for the suggestion, Locator, but I'll stick with Porcupine Tree!

I dun' git it, man...That's your band, PT...as in 'singular'...and you're not even interested in maybe checking out something which I'm telling you might appeal to a PT fan?

What are ya, the evil antithesis to SullySue?...a woman who's obviously got a mind as wide open as the sky itself when it comes to musical explorations and adventures? Are you her evil twin? BizzaroSue, perhaps?

Locator,

Other bands might, or might not, appeal to a PT fan. In this case, Agalloch was in the might not/did not category. The suggestion was appreciated, the suggested band was not. And evil twin I am not! rofl3.gif

And obviously, PT isn't my singular band. If it was I wouldn't be posting on the RUSH forum! laugh.gif

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 29 2010, 11:33 AM)
And obviously, PT isn't my singular band. If it was I wouldn't be posting on the RUSH forum!

Well, that Agalloch stuff is some mighty brilliant, atmospheric, highly nuanced stuff...which, if given enough time to sink into the various folds and crevices and crannies of the cerebellum, will provide just hours and hours of fun for the head.

I wish you would give the stuff half a chance, but you've already told me in the 'Why is music Good?" thread, that, "I like to be open minded but it makes me uncomfortable!"...I say 'squirm' a while then. You are going to be the more-better rounded indiwidual when the pain is over. Agalloch is for YOU, my friend. It's for all of us to share and enjoy and break bread over. Give 'The Mantle' that chance!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 28 2010, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 27 2010, 07:04 AM)
I've been sick, so not sure if this has been posted or not, but I hear their Radio City Music Hall show in September is going to be the last performance of The Incident in full and then the remaining two hours (yes, a 3 hour set!) will be material only up to (and including) Stupid Dream.  So it looks like yet another stellar DVD will be on its way with little crossover material to their other two DVDs so far.  Nice!

Sadly, this is not to be.

From PTOfficial on twitter:

"Sorry folks, there are no plans to film either Radio City or Albert Hall shows - we want these ones to live on in the memory only."

sad.gif

I heard. sad.gif

I really thought that the Radio City show was going to be filmed, since the last two engagements I attended there were also filmed.

I already joking told my best friend's wife to wear her favourite blouse...And she told me to wear my fav baseball hat...Now we both can dress like dirt 'cause no one will ever care, ten, fifteen generations down the line.

I want to ask the PT/Wilson fans here if they've heard anything from this EPHRAT project that Steve recently produced...I have and I'm still puzzled as to why he would agree to produce this artistically-stilted band.

They have absolutely nothing going for them...They sound like the ultra-boring , neo-prog outfit, RPWL...that is, if that band lost all its ability to construct a tune...I really don't understand why he would make time for the guys in Ephrat, except maybe for the fact that he might be friends with the members.

I think he should have contributed his precious time to producing a band like Pinkroom...but he would never do that because that band sounds like more of a PT rip-off than Riverside or Pineapple Thief.

Wilson:

"... I'll be returning to the studio to continue working on 3 new studio records already in progress (SW solo album 2, Blackfield III, Akerfeldt/Wilson "Storm Corrosion"), all to be released throughout 2011."

Nice. Looking forward to all three. I love Blackfield.