Vapor Trails Interviews

Lrigyttiw

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 20 2008, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 17 2008, 07:18 PM)
I believe it's coming out in 2002, but it could be delayed...

ranton.gif

It seems that some people have questions about Vapor Trails and I thought this would help. I really don't understand the sarcasm sometimes... I didn't know one had to be sarcastic to be a Rush fan also. Interesting.

it seems like a lot of us are extremely sarcastic on this forum

is sarcasm really necessary to have a good time, discussing the greatest band in the world? I didn't think it was, so I must be in the wrong forum... and I was having a good time too, before all this sarcasm discussion started. Damn. I gotta go listen to "Alien Shore" again.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 21 2008, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 20 2008, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 17 2008, 07:18 PM)
I believe it's coming out in 2002, but it could be delayed...

ranton.gif

It seems that some people have questions about Vapor Trails and I thought this would help. I really don't understand the sarcasm sometimes... I didn't know one had to be sarcastic to be a Rush fan also. Interesting.

it seems like a lot of us are extremely sarcastic on this forum

is sarcasm really necessary to have a good time, discussing the greatest band in the world? I didn't think it was, so I must be in the wrong forum... and I was having a good time too, before all this sarcasm discussion started. Damn. I gotta go listen to "Alien Shore" again.

If you can find a forum or anywhere else in this world that is free of sarcasm then I suggest you go there, but I am pretty sure you will not find it in any populated part of this planet.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 19 2008, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 19 2008, 01:08 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 18 2008, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 17 2008, 11:05 PM)
These are informative, concerning Vapor Trails. They're not mine, I stumbled upon them:

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtuoRcEC0o&feature=related

Interesting comment by Alex at 1:30 of part 1: "The system that I listened on was just a little Walkman...I listened to the songs...I didn't care about how anything sounded..." Translation: We're trying to promote this new record, and I'm sort of covertly acknowledging that the mastering guy shit the bed on this one and made a year's worth of hard work sound all distorted, but I can't say that now because we don't want to send our fans into a panic where they won't buy the CD. We'll wait a couple of years then talk about how we have trouble listening to this one.

tongue.gif

I hadn't seen these interviews, so thanks for posting them!

laugh.gif

You have a way with peoples' inner thoughts. tongue.gif

They have to know by now how shitty that thing sounds. I wonder what their conversations about it have been like? It sucks, in my opinion, that such a paramount recording ended up sounding so horrible when musically it's so strong. It's a damned shame.

They know how bad it sounds. They knew as soon as they got those test printings back after mastering. No doubt they were saying, "Are you f**king KIDDING me??? How did this HAPPEN???" At that point there was nothing they could do but release it, live with it, and support it. All we can hope for now is a re-master.

After months of immersing myself in S&A, I popped VT for the first time since the release of S&A and totally rediscovered it. S&A sounds clean and full and lush and punchy, and the songwriting and lyrics are great and memorable, but VT, despite the bad sound quality, just kicks your ass. And after hearing all those acoustic guitar-laden, mid-tempo S&A songs for so long, I needed a good ass-kicking, dammit! biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 21 2008, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 21 2008, 09:12 PM)
whatever...

062802puke_prv.gif

No wonder you go to Rush concerts alone.

I go alone because no one else I know likes Rush...

Why are you so mean to me? You don't even know me. All I've ever been to anyone on this forum is nice and polite. I don't understand this at all.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 21 2008, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 21 2008, 09:12 PM)
whatever...

062802puke_prv.gif

No wonder you go to Rush concerts alone.

I go alone because no one else I know likes Rush...

Why are you so mean to me? You don't even know me. All I've ever been to anyone on this forum is nice and polite. I don't understand this at all.

I have nothing against you. I immediately apologized to you twice right after you posted that my comments upset you. You totally ignored my apologies and kept on making comments about me being sarcastic for days. I was not out to put you down or hurt you. I have no harsh feelings and I am willing to let this go but you also have to.

I did let it go, by NOT responding because I knew it would come to all of this, but YOU kept it going by making that new thread about sarcasm, and by making that other comment (see above). So are you're saying I don't have a right to defend myself? How is defending myself the same as "keeping it going"? You're doing the same thing.

Let's end this now, please. I'm over it. Yes, I understand now that there are people on this earth who don't give a damn about other people's feelings. I understand this, and it's over.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 07:42 AM)
I did let it go, by NOT responding because I knew it would come to all of this, but YOU kept it going by making that new thread about sarcasm, and by making that other comment (see above). So are you're saying I don't have a right to defend myself? How is defending myself the same as "keeping it going"? You're doing the same thing.

Let's end this now, please. I'm over it. Yes, I understand now that there are people on this earth who don't give a damn about other people's feelings. I understand this, and it's over.

ARE YOU FOR REAL? banghead.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 22 2008, 06:46 AM)

Dude, please leave me alone.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 22 2008, 06:46 AM)

Dude, please leave me alone.

You just love playing the victim, don't you? You just told me I don't care about other peoples feelings. You are the one who keeps on saying "mean things" as you would say. I wouldn't of apologized if I didn't care about your feelings.

wtf.gif

Stop the madness please.

How is asking you to leave me alone playing the victim?

I'm not a victim. All I'm asking is that you leave me alone.

I accept all of your apologies.

Let's end this now, please. I won't make any more comments.

It's over, it's done.

unsure.gif

Lrigyttiw... Thanks for posting the vids. Some of us

haven't seen them and we appreciate it. trink39.gif

Being a newer member here I thought that I'd let

you know, there are alot of people here that like to

bust each other. There is no harm meant, it's all just

for fun. Sorry that you were insulted by it.

snowdogged... You did what you thought was right.

I give you lots of credit here. trink39.gif

I am not trying to interject here, only to go back to the topic as it developed, which was a continued discussion on the sound quality of "Vapor Trails."

I listened to it today on an MP3 player through two different forms of output - one through a tape deck adapter into a car stereo and the other through standard ear-bud headphones.

Through the headphones, it sounded tinny, especially the cymbals. So, the treble end sounded "hot." Through the car stereo, the bottom end sounded way too heavy. So, I dialed down the bass and hiked up the treble in the car and got it to where it was just about right.

So, I have a suggestion, submitted as respectfully as possible, if the band is so inclined:

I think most of us agree - as do they - that Richard Chycki did an excellent job on "Snakes & Arrows." Why not hire Rich to do a "labor of love" project - give him some time to do a complete rework of the entire album sonically?

Then, so that one band member isn't stuck having to finalize it, have them all assemble together to do a walk-through of the re-master before it's sent off.

As I listen to VT again, I hear that there are some monster tunes on it and the entire album shouldn't be dismissed just because of the sound quality issues.

It's a gem and I think a master like Rich Chycki can give it just the right polish.

I've never seen these interviews, and I watched every segment. They were awesome, although I think Geddy eventually wound up doing too much of the talking. However, I love how they acknowledge how they hated the way it sounded. After all that work, with how difficult the recording process seemed to be, to have it delivered to you sounding so aweful must have been like a sword thought the gut.

I really love how, as Geddy explained each song, you gained a further understand on how thing seem to work in terms of Rush creating songs. Alex jams and plays his soul out, Neil writes and pours his soul out, and Geddy takes it all and structures it together as a song idea. Then Geddy and Alex together finalize it, then Neil takes that and creates drum parts to complete it. I'm sure it's not a concrete flow of things, but it seems to be the standard operating procedures that the band uses. It works wonders.

Ok... NOW REMASTER IT. VT, to me, is one of the strongest highlights of their career.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 22 2008, 09:04 PM)
Ok... NOW REMASTER IT. VT, to me, is one of the strongest highlights of their career.

I think it would take more than a remaster to fix it. it was buggered up before that stage, so the only real answer would be to physically re-record it which i can't really see happening.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 10:01 PM)
if they have/had the masters, they can remix it cleanly.

oops, I'm not supposed to be posting... I've banned myself.

Not if it was recorded "hot" as VT clearly was. There is an article somewhere that explains it, I'll have to dig it out.

Re-mastering would clean it up to a certain extent, but it wouldn't eliminate the "loudness" of all the layering.

Re-recording would be the only real solution.

I'll pretend you didn't post if that makes you feel better wink.gif

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 06:01 PM)

Actually Im not sure they can. I know very little about this, but Ive read a couple of really informed articles that said that the original raw material was recorded "too hot" so that simple re-mastering wont solve all the problems...

ANyone still have that link?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 22 2008, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 06:01 PM)

Actually Im not sure they can. I know very little about this, but Ive read a couple of really informed articles that said that the original raw material was recorded "too hot" so that simple re-mastering wont solve all the problems...

ANyone still have that link?

Are you a f***ing parrot? laugh.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

Archived