HD-DVD dead

JoenataArctica

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Mar 17 2008, 01:18 PM)
This upsets me, because now i know they wont ever release a live rush dvd on HD-DVD sad.gif

Yeah, but they'll probably release it on Blu-Ray someday!

Oh, wait. You already own an HD-DVD player, don't you?

Sorry. On the bright side, Blu-Ray players are getting cheaper and cheaper.

I did a home theater install a few months ago and advised the homeowner to get a Blu Ray player since HD-DVD was going to lose the format war. Since this was a somewhat educated guess, I'm glad it actually turned out to be right. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/18.gif

HD-DVD finally joins the ranks of Betamax and DivX.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 17 2008, 02:29 PM)
I did a home theater install a few months ago and advised the homeowner to get a Blu Ray player since HD-DVD was going to lose the format war. Since this was a somewhat educated guess, I'm glad it actually turned out to be right. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/18.gif

laugh.gif ...and damn near VHS too! icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 17 2008, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 17 2008, 02:29 PM)

laugh.gif ...and damn near VHS too! icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Well VHS sure seems to be on the way out, but it wasn't a loser in a format war like Betamax and DivX (and now HD-DVD) were. That's why I brought them up. In fact, VHS is what beat out Betamax way back when. VHS held up pretty well for a long time, even after DVD was well established.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 17 2008, 02:40 PM)
Total rip-off, is there even any difference between the two?

Yes, there's a huge difference. Blu-Ray is far superior in quality. Go to your local Best Buy and see for yourself.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 17 2008, 02:55 PM)
Isn't this old news?

Anyways, I'm still rocking my old fangled DVD player... guess it'll be time to step up pretty soon.

Yeah, I'm still using my upconverting player. The only thing holding me back from going Blu-Ray is the limited number of available titles so far. Plus I heard a rumor that they'll be dropping prices for the summer and my birthday's in August so I told the lovely and gracious Mrs. Aubrey that a Blu-Ray player wouldn't go amiss.

Just go and get a PS3. Blu-Ray player is standard for the system, plus you'll get to play games too.

I have yet to experience a movie on Blu-Ray. I just bought a ps3 2 weeks ago. I probably will "officially" start buying blu-rays when I got a HD-TV

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 17 2008, 01:40 PM)

I think the better question is if there's enough of a noticeable difference between DVD and Blu Ray to justify jumping to the newer format. So far my opinion has been no.

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 17 2008, 07:42 PM)

I think the better question is if there's enough of a noticeable difference between DVD and Blu Ray to justify jumping to the newer format. So far my opinion has been no.

If you have the proper TV (1080p)..........then yes..........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2008, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 17 2008, 07:42 PM)

If you have the proper TV (1080p)..........then yes..........

If you have a hi-def TV, the difference is astounding. Blu-Ray looks twice as sharp as regular DVDs. Plus, by February 2009 (assuming they don't push back the deadline AGAIN tongue.gif), ALL television channels in the U.S. will be broadcasting in digital, meaning they'll all have the option of broadcasting hi-def signals. Sooner or later, you'll be buying a hi-def TV. Regular DVDs played with a progressive scan DVD player look fine on a hi-def set, so you'll still be able to play your old favorites. They just won't look as good as Blu-Ray.

When I finally get a hi-def TV, I don't plan on replacing all my regular DVDs with Blu-Rays (I have way too many), but I'll replace a select few favorites. At some point I'll get a Blu-Ray player (or PS3) and start buying new movies in Blu-Ray.

i already have an hd-dvd player and six hd dvds and planet earth on hd-dvd.

just another excuse for me to get a ps3 eventually. Blu Ray AND MGS4. smile.gif

but for now i will just buy cheap hd dvd movies and online it up with vegas 2 on 360.

still hd dvd being dead grinds my gears.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Mar 18 2008, 09:33 AM)
b_sigh.gif I'm tired of technology.

"I love technology" wink.gif

Just my 2 cents here...

I've seen both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on 1080p HD screens. Blu-Ray is vastly superior in video and audio. (especially audio!) Anyone who sees/hears them side-by-side says the same thing.

PS3 is the best value for the money. Blu-Ray player and all the other features in the PS3 console make it a no-brainer if you want to get into the HD movie/gaming technology.

I am still finding new things on my PS3 that I didn't know where there. It is truely the most advanced, and rock-solid stable, platform out today.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 19 2008, 02:18 PM)
I heard that the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is only really noticeable on a bigger screen. is that true?

It's only noticable on a hi-def TV. Blu-Ray is hi-def, so you'd need a hi-def TV to see all that extra resolution.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 19 2008, 02:50 PM)
Just my 2 cents here...

I've seen both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on 1080p HD screens. Blu-Ray is vastly superior in video and audio. (especially audio!) Anyone who sees/hears them side-by-side says the same thing.

PS3 is the best value for the money. Blu-Ray player and all the other features in the PS3 console make it a no-brainer if you want to get into the HD movie/gaming technology.

I am still finding new things on my PS3 that I didn't know where there. It is truely the most advanced, and rock-solid stable, platform out today.

Yep, we're getting a PS3 for both games and Blu-Ray movies.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 19 2008, 07:18 PM)
I heard that the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is only really noticeable on a bigger screen. is that true?

It's only noticable on a hi-def TV. Blu-Ray is hi-def, so you'd need a hi-def TV to see all that extra resolution.

Yeah, mine's high-def, but it's only 22 inch, so is that big enough to really notice the difference, and thus warrant the amount to spend?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 19 2008, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 19 2008, 07:18 PM)

Yeah, mine's high-def, but it's only 22 inch, so is that big enough to really notice the difference, and thus warrant the amount to spend?

If you plan on getting a bigger TV someday then I'd say yes. Keep in mind that HDTV prices are dropping all the time. Nowadays you can get a 54 inch set for what a 42 inch set cost three years ago.