Rush Confessions: Songs I once hated but now love

Schro

I agree 'Roll the Bones' took a while to grow on me..

Even more so was 'The Big Money'. Absolutely hated it for years....now I regard it as the best track from that CD (albeit not one of my fave CD's)

unsure.gif

For some reason, I really don't like Fountain Of Lamneth. Same with Rivendell and Closer To The Heart. I used to see Open Secrets as the dullest moment on HYF (in fact I used to hate HYF) but now I love the beauty of both song and album. I like Tears a lot, and Lessons too. I didn't used to like Presto (the song not the album) and Available Light, but I came around on those also. Nowadays there are very few songs that I don't like too much but will still listen to. The only one I don't listen to at all is Rivendell.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 23 2005, 06:35 PM)
For some reason, I really don't like Fountain Of Lamneth. Same with Rivendell and Closer To The Heart. I used to see Open Secrets as the dullest moment on HYF (in fact I used to hate HYF) but now I love the beauty of both song and album. I like Tears a lot, and Lessons too. I didn't used to like Presto (the song not the album) and Available Light, but I came around on those also. Nowadays there are very few songs that I don't like too much but will still listen to. The only one I don't listen to at all is Rivendell.

I love The Fountain of Lamneth.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 22 2005, 12:34 AM)
I'm not saying I like/love every Rush song (because I don't), but here's the list of songs that never really clicked to me...

Roll The Bones
Heresy

RTB is pure nostalgia to me. My first ever Rush song!.. Do they call it 'love at first listen"?

A bold song, really. On the one hand, it sounds like some latter day Genesis pop hit, on the other hand, it's quite complex... and well, it like says: 'Come on, this is what I am. Such a weird song!' Man I just listened to it this morning on my way to uni smile.gif)

As for Heresy... Naturally as it's on RTB it popped up a bit later smile.gif

I think I can relate to it.

What do you want, I live in that very Moscow that used to be that very capital of that very USSR!

Not exactly the most groundbreaking 'progressive rock-wise' song, it's more of the 'Dylan side' of Rush. wink.gif

My answer...

Anthem!!!

I remember I got YJM's Inspirations, which has some of my fave singers on it (JSS, JLT... yes I'm a JLT fan, bear with me). And I was very impressed with the song Anthem that YJM covered on it along with the other classics. Butchered, though, is a better fitting description.

So anyway, and as I was a Rush fan already, I decided to check the original out...

My initial reaction was exactly 'What's that screechin'?!'

Well if I start counting 'gestation time'... either three or two years. It's just that I cannot remember the exact date of my initiation. wink.gif

And I can't remember it's 2005 already, BTW. What is there that happens to happen to them memory banks? Anyway I rediscovered Rush in 2004.

I only discovered that I actually love early Rush only recently.

Just when I found that I sound too much like that, quite often...

Sounds like a heavily distorted variation of narcissism.

QUOTE (Schro @ Jan 21 2005, 03:12 PM)
I got started on Rush with MP, Exit, and Signals.  My next step in the journey was 2112.  I anxiously popped it in and..

I absolutely hated it!

Couldn't stand Geddy's screeching.  I distinctly remember telling myself I don't care how good some of there present stuff is, I would never listen to this album for the rest of my life (I was 15).

So I got into other Rush stuff, and it sat there.  But I could only play through my other Rush tapes so many million times before I wanted something more.  So I played it again, if only to prove to myself how much I hated it again.

Obviously, at a certain point, something clicked.  Because now I screech along with it and can't wait them to play it live when I'm at a show.

What happened?  I don't know.  I guess I finally got used to Geddy singing in that register and saw that the music and the message behind it were quite good.  But it took awhile.  Maybe a couple years, for me.

So what songs did you once hate that now you love?  Here's my list:

Before the Love:  What is that screeching?
After the Love:  God, I love that screeching!

Gestation Period: About 2 years.

Hold Your Fire
Before the Love:  This entire album was a huuuuge disappointment for me.  Where is Alex?  Did he leave the band?  Is it legal to call a concert live when you can't even see the lead singer behind his Berlin Wall of keyboards?
After the Love:  I still miss Alex, but the writing and composition are top notch.  The words finally spoke to me.  Have actually left it in my car cd-changer over a month and not thought about it.

Gestation Period:  About 6 years.

Hemispheres

Before the Love:  Is this the same band that wrote Moving Pictures?  Does anyone know someone who can perform an exorcism on my tape player?
After the Love:  What a great epic song!  Love the story, love the music.

Gestation Period:  About 8 years.

Mystic Rhythms
Before the Love:  Loved Power Windows except for this song.  It was so anti-Rush to me.  How could they do this to us?
After the Love: Many, many years later I came back to it and discovered, "hey, this a'int too bad!!" (duh)  Great lyrics, great atmosphere.

Gestation Period:  About 10 years.

What a great thread!! goodpost.gif I've read everyone's posts. I love how everyone comes from their own place, but always meets at 2.gif .

Grace Under Pressure - The first time I heard it was in 1992 when my epiphany with the band occurred. I bought four discs on the same day. Signals, P/G, Power Windows, and Hold Your Fire. All of the others were an instant hook and total smash -- except for P/G.

before: What The F???? The music is so spongy and lacks any feeling whatsoever. Cold.... dark.... almost made to want people to stay away from it. And what's this "1001" crap? "Unit one's in trouble"?? HUH?

after: One of my favorite Rush albums. I listen to all Rush tunes mixed together. But as far as listening to a single album, this gets chosen more than most. Brilliant!! All 8 tracks... just awesome.

Vapor Trails - bought it on release day.

before: um..... this hurts my ears. Nothing makes sense. It's all noise, where's the music?? I knew there was something really good in there... but I just could not crack through the barrier. I couldn't figure anything out on the CD.

after - it took over a year of testing it out here and there. Finally the songs seemed to take shape - the words meant something - and my ears got used to listening without feeling like they were going to bleed. Now.... it's also amongst the greatest of Rush releases, imo. I play the sh*t of out this CD.

COS

before - Yuk. Alway a fan of Bastille Day, but couldn't get past that song. I also liked Lakeside Park but I knew it from Chronicles, not COS.

after - have really come to find a respect for this album I never used to have. Especially for Necromancer and Lamneth. Some great music in those tunes.

Songs that have yet to make a huge dent:

Territories - just never grabbed me although I know the song extremely well. So... somehow I've seemed to listen to it loads of times, anyway!!

Rivendell - never followed the books so I don't connect with it at all. It's not horrible, though.

I Think I'm Going Bald - not enough songs on the album to have room for nonsense stuff like this. There should have been higher quality material chosen. It's just stupid - even though nowadays I am too. Going bald, that is... not stupid. laugh.gif

Ok - now for a reverse view of things..... songs that I used to go crazy over, but they just sort of fell off the train:

Stick It Out

How It Is

Emotion Detector

You Bet Your Life

Tears (but have recently rediscovered it)

Second Nature (same)

Countdown (used to be an out of my body fav. Now?? confused13.gif )

Sweet Miracle

Face Up

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 23 2005, 04:07 PM)
I didn't like Roll the Bones when it first came out. 

laugh.gif

ROLINDA!!!!! LOVE THE AVATAR!!!!

trink39.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

I give it a three hit rating!!

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

laugh.gif

I used to have this relationship with Animate. As a matter of fact, during the R30 tour, I got up and went to the bathroom while they played this song. Now I wish I hadn't. I love this song now. Probably in my Top 10.

Animate is a great song. But it doesn't come across very well live. (JMO)

There are many Rush songs I didn't like on First listen, but I have grown to like over the years.. There are some which I still don't care for too much, but I find myself "trying" to like all of their material just out of respect for how Great a Band they are. I didn't care for Caress at all when I first heard it, but now I love it.!! Madrigal is not a great song, but I can listen to it (partly because it's less than 3 minutes long). I didn't get Different Strings at first, but now I love it. Same with Losing It (one of my favs now). There are really only two songs that I have no problem skipping over when listening in the car and those are:

Anagram (for mongo)

Speed of Love

There are others that I don't get too excited about but I still listen to:

Carve away the Stone

The Color of Right

The Stars Look Down

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Heresy

I had most of Rush' lps on vinyl from when i was a teenager, then they released Signals and i went off Rush for years until recently - I have no turntable now! So I was in a music store about 4 months ago and saw Permanent Waves, I used to love that album, put it on my CD player and all the memories came flooding back, Funny but now I'm older I realised I appreciate it even more, I never could stand Freewill but now I love it how could i not have done all those years ago?

So I started to catch up, bought Signals and Grace Under Pressure - the keyboard era I hated when younger, now I love those two albums!!! I replaced all my vinyl albums to CD.....hooked again! I checked out a few websites and couldn't believe they were still going and what a massive back catalogue they have albums I'd never even heard of!! Anyway during my surfing I found this forum... you guys blew me away!!

Now 4 months later, only 2 studio albums I have yet to get, RTB and VT, leaving VT to last for obvious reasons. But can't find RTB anywhere just yet. Anyway got plenty of music to feast on right now!

653.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Feb 25 2005, 05:51 PM)
I had most of Rush' lps on vinyl from when i was a teenager, then they released Signals and i went off Rush for years until recently - I have no turntable now! So I was in a music store about 4 months ago and saw Permanent Waves, I used to love that album, put it on my CD player and all the memories came flooding back, Funny but now I'm older I realised I appreciate it even more, I never could stand Freewill but now I love it how could i not have done all those years ago?

So I started to catch up, bought Signals and Grace Under Pressure - the keyboard era I hated when younger, now I love those two albums!!! I replaced all my vinyl albums to CD.....hooked again! I checked out a few websites and couldn't believe they were still going and what a massive back catalogue they have albums I'd never even heard of!! Anyway during my surfing I found this forum... you guys blew me away!!

Now 4 months later, only 2 studio albums I have yet to get, RTB and VT, leaving VT to last for obvious reasons. But can't find RTB anywhere just yet. Anyway got plenty of music to feast on right now!

653.gif 2.gif

You will LOVE RTB....... I was really pleasantly surprised when I first listened to it, because I read one critic's review saying he couldn't believe that Rush had turned into a rap/rock group........

A skeleton raps on one song, it ADDS to the song, and the rest of the album is amazing....

One of my Top 5 Rush albums, for sure smile.gif

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 25 2005, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Feb 25 2005, 05:51 PM)

653.gif  2.gif

You will LOVE RTB....... I was really pleasantly surprised when I first listened to it, because I read one critic's review saying he couldn't believe that Rush had turned into a rap/rock group........

A skeleton raps on one song, it ADDS to the song, and the rest of the album is amazing....

One of my Top 5 Rush albums, for sure smile.gif

Can't wait LTFB new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Well, Huck, I can send you my copy of RTB -for free! It's the one Rush cd that I have yet to come to terms with... But since this thread is about songs and records that one has eventually started to like, after a shaky start, I will nominate Carve Away The Stone and Limelight. The former did not grab me as much as many of the other TFE songs at first, but then one day something happened and it clicked big time. Now I consider it one of their best ever closing songs.

Limelight was such a disappointment for me when I first heard it -expected to be blown away, based on all the positive feedback this song got on various forums. I didn't hear anything too special in it and the guitar solo seemed completely out of place as well...lol As for now, Limelight still isn't anywhere near my Rush top twenty, but I do enjoy the drumming on it...the guitar solo I can still take or leave. wink.gif

I'm probably too "new" a fan though when I think about it...having only listened to Rush for a year and a half. I will come back to this in a decade's time and who knows, I just might be the biggest fan of RTB by then! (NOT tongue.gif laugh.gif )

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 26 2005, 07:53 PM)
All of Vapour Trails (except Earthshine)....I now love it all, and its a mega-fantastic album full of fury 653.gif

Can't wait for that either rickyrob! 2.gif

Archived