The Camera Eye

ofsalesmen

I've seen much debate about this over the years, but I'm certain that he used the Rickenbacker on The Camera Eye. Closest in sound on that album is Red Barchetta, which is definitely Rickenbacker.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 27 2008, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 26 2008, 04:13 PM)
I'm sure on a bootleg live performance I saw he was playing the Rickenbacker... but that doesn't always mean he used it in the studio, huh?

what bootleg live performance was this?......I want it 1022.gif

Damn... I'll have to search my collection tomorrow.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 26 2008, 04:36 PM)
I'm sure on a bootleg live performance I saw he was playing the Rickenbacker... but that doesn't always mean he used it in the studio, huh?

thanks

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Feb 26 2008, 05:04 PM)
I would say Fender...I saw an interview with him somewhere and he mentions which he used on a couple of songs, from MP, and then he said he used the Fender on the rest.

Yes, I saw or read something to that effect also... ...But I seem to recall him having said the only song he used the Ric for was Red Barchetta... confused13.gif

I just watched that interview, and the only thing Geddy says definitively is that he used the Fender on Tom Sawyer, and the Rickenbacher on Red Barchetta and Limelight.

So whoever said the bass on Camera Eye sounded like the bass on Red Barchetta, you could very well be correct. One thing Geddy did say about the Fender was that it has a big sounding bottom end.

Edited by LoneStar Boogie

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 26 2008, 09:42 PM)
I just watched that interview, and the only thing Geddy says definitively is that he used the Fender on Tom Sawyer, and the Rickenbacher on Red Barchetta and Limelight.

So whoever said the bass on Camera Eye sounded like the bass on Red Barchetta, you could very well be correct. One thing Geddy did say about the Fender was that it has a big sounding bottom end.

That's right!

(And thank you for the clarification!)

trink39.gif

Just opinion: The Fender Jazz sounds better; the Roc looks better; both either's nice....

smile.gif

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 27 2008, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 26 2008, 04:36 PM)

thanks

It's actually the worst quality bootleg ever and it doesn't have labels...

It's from the Moving Pictures tour though and seems to have been filmed in USA. wacko.gif

Yeah, it's the Ric there, not surprisingly. I think I agree that it's the Fender. I remember those interviews where Geddy mentioned what he played for Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Red Barchetta.

I'm pretty sure it's the Fender Jazz on "Camera Eye" and most of the album.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 27 2008, 03:10 PM)

Hmmm

As I said above, I've seen much debate about this. However to my ears it's pretty clear which bass is on which song, especially if you consider what we do know almost certainly (from interviews nearer the time of recording).

If you take Tom Sawyer, which we know to be the Jazz and Red Barchetta, which we know to be the Rick, and carefully examine the tonal characteristics of the bass, I hear this:

Tom Sawyer - Jazz

Red Barchetta - 4001

YYZ - Jazz

Limelight - Jazz (I am almost certain Geddy's memory is letting him down in that recent interview and he doesn't seem very confident when he answers the question)

Camera Eye - 4001

Witch Hunt - Jazz

Vital Signs - Jazz

Anyway, having the choice of instruments and wanting to be accurate in my Rush tribute, I've spent more time listening to this than is probably healthy. Having listened pretty carefully, that's what I hear. I'm also fairly certain which two songs on Permanent Waves feature the Jazz.

Still, I'm sure other people will hear this differently biggrin.gif .

What Geddy used live is not a good indicator, as having used the Jazz on most of Moving Pictures, he then used the 4001 for almost the whole set on the following tour. The studio videos are completely misleading as Geddy has the 4001 during Tom Sawyer, which he is very clear was actually the Jazz (and it certainly sounds like it too).

One of the reasons there is less bottom end on the 4001 is because of the capacitor on the bridge pick up at the time on 4001 basses that removed bass frequencies. Bypassing or removing this cap results in a much fuller sound.

QUOTE (Jon @ Feb 27 2008, 11:41 AM)

Hmmm

As I said above, I've seen much debate about this. However to my ears it's pretty clear which bass is on which song, especially if you consider what we do know almost certainly (from interviews nearer the time of recording).

If you take Tom Sawyer, which we know to be the Jazz and Red Barchetta, which we know to be the Rick, and carefully examine the tonal characteristics of the bass, I hear this:

Tom Sawyer - Jazz

Red Barchetta - 4001

YYZ - Jazz

Limelight - Jazz (I am almost certain Geddy's memory is letting him down in that recent interview and he doesn't seem very confident when he answers the question)

Camera Eye - 4001

Witch Hunt - Jazz

Vital Signs - Jazz

Anyway, having the choice of instruments and wanting to be accurate in my Rush tribute, I've spent more time listening to this than is probably healthy. Having listened pretty carefully, that's what I hear. I'm also fairly certain which two songs on Permanent Waves feature the Jazz.

What Geddy used live is not a good indicator, as having used the Jazz on most of Moving Pictures, he then used the 4001 for almost the whole set on the following tour. The studio videos are completely misleading as Geddy has the 4001 during Tom Sawyer, which he is very clear was actually the Jazz (and it certainly sounds like it too).

One of the reasons there is less bottom end on the 4001 is because of the capacitor on the bridge pick up at the time on 4001 basses that removed bass frequencies. Bypassing or removing this cap results in a much fuller sound.

I thought he sounded very sure that he played the Rick on Limelight. But it's not worth arguing over. Whichever bass he plaey, it all sounds awesome!

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Feb 28 2008, 07:27 AM)
I'd say it's sounds like a Ric...
Can you believe he traded maybe the two best basses in the world for the steinberger?

But it certainly enabled him to get a lot more active on stage. You will not find a more visually entertaining live show than A Show Of Hands.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 28 2008, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (Jon @ Feb 27 2008, 11:41 AM)

Hmmm

Tom Sawyer - Jazz

Red Barchetta - 4001

YYZ - Jazz

Camera Eye - 4001

Witch Hunt - Jazz

Vital Signs - Jazz

I thought he sounded very sure that he played the Rick on Limelight. But it's not worth arguing over. Whichever bass he plaey, it all sounds awesome!

It was the words 'I think' at the end of the sentence that made me doubt he was certain! The Jazz has a different attack to the 4001 and I think I can hear that attack in Limelight. However, you are right, it's not worth arguing over. All the basslines sound great on that album.

I guess the answer to the original post is 'it doesn't matter as it's hard for people to agree on the difference anyway'.