Roy Scheider, RIP

ReRushed

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Feb 11 2008, 09:05 AM)
I liked him. remember that T.V. series about the submarine that he was in?

Yep, it was called Seaquest DSV. I loved the first season. The second season was ok, but then he was replaced as captain by Michael Ironside in the third season and the series died.

I remember hearing his guest role as the Russian mobster on Third Watch was quite good.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this last night and felt like I got slugged in the chest sad.gif . One of my all-time favorite actors. rose.gif

As well as the well-known stuff like Jaws, 2010, Blue Thunder, etc., please check out some of his other films:

52 Pick-up

Last Embrace

Cohen And Tate

Somebody Has To Shoot The Picture

Although if anything, a quintessesntial Roy Scheider moment IMHO came in "Marathon Man" Roy's stripped to his shorts and buff, doing push-ups, and there's a knock at the door. A scene with any other "star" actor, it would be a beautiful girl. Roy opens the door and gets an assassin with a garotte ohmy.gif tongue.gif

RIP Roy... I hope you're as happy now as watching your movies made me rose.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2008, 08:58 AM)
Somehow, still, to this day, I've never seen a Jaws movie including the first one. I dunno why, it's just never happened.

Anyway, still, Roy Scheider RIP - he was a great actor. I especially loved him in All That Jazz and 2010...

Well you're in for a treat Goobs, go out and rent the first Jaws film ASAP, not only will you enjoy it it'll be a fitting tribute to Roy...

Those three Roy, Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw, the three Rs, made an unlikely but very effective team...

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2008, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2008, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2008, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 11 2008, 08:59 AM)
Rest in peace Roy -

I really loved you in Naked Lunch, Tiger Town, 52 Pickup, The Marathon Man and Videodrome - not to mention  Jaws.

It's been awhile since I've seen Naked Lunch. Who was he in that movie? confused13.gif

Doctor Benway

BTW Goob you are the ONLY person from my generation thast I know that never seen Jaws ohmy.gif

Do yourself a favor and rent it...Still holds up after all these years as a classic thriller yes.gif

Yeah, Jaws always has just passed me by for some reason. Somehow I never could seem to get it up to go out of my way to see a movie about a shark, but I suppose I really should see it one of these days...

Please check it out, Gary. It's an absolute classic and you will love it! Though you may think twice about swimming in the ocean.

Rest in peace, Mr. Scheider. I'm sorry I bugged you on the plane back in 1985.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:31 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

I really loved you in Naked Lunch, Tiger Town, 52 Pickup, The Marathon Man and Videodrome - not to mention  Jaws.

It's been awhile since I've seen Naked Lunch. Who was he in that movie? confused13.gif

Doctor Benway

BTW Goob you are the ONLY person from my generation thast I know that never seen Jaws ohmy.gif

Do yourself a favor and rent it...Still holds up after all these years as a classic thriller yes.gif

Yeah, Jaws always has just passed me by for some reason. Somehow I never could seem to get it up to go out of my way to see a movie about a shark, but I suppose I really should see it one of these days...

Please check it out, Gary. It's an absolute classic and you will love it! Though you may think twice about swimming in the ocean.

I think I just said that Jack, you put it nicely but I think you'll find i put it better and in a more original way too...

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 03:32 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

I think I just said that Jack, you put it nicely but I think you'll find i put it better and in a more original way too...

wink.gif

I'm sorry, buddy, I skipped right over your post. doh.gif No offense intended of course, and had I originally seen your post I'd have quoted it with a big "ditto"! yes.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:41 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

I'm sorry, buddy, I skipped right over your post. doh.gif No offense intended of course, and had I originally seen your post I'd have quoted it with a big "ditto"! yes.gif

Goob, don't listen to these guys. I say, go out RIGHT NOW and rent "Jaws." It is a classic that has aged very well. yes.gif

Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

Don't worry jack I was just messing with you...

biggrin.gif wink.gif

But Goobs definitely has to see that film...

I watched it the other night for about the zillionth time and it's still great, all the way through. I love how the tension builds right from the start and that shark hunt segment in the last third of the film is totally suspenseful. I love the part were they retire for the night, at odds with each other but bury the hatchet after swapping scar stories and singing songs.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2008, 02:45 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

Goob, don't listen to these guys. I say, go out RIGHT NOW and rent "Jaws." It is a classic that has aged very well. yes.gif

What you on about 73, we're recommending it!!

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 04:07 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

1287.gif

Well, how can we take yours and Jack's word for it? I think Goob would like "Jaws." Just because you two are a-scared of a little sharkie-poo doesn't mean Goob couldn't handle it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

( tongue.gif )

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 02:32 PM)

Did you really bug him on a plane? What happened?

He planted a listening device on him as part of a federal investigation. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2008, 04:20 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

1287.gif

Well, how can we take yours and Jack's word for it? I think Goob would like "Jaws." Just because you two are a-scared of a little sharkie-poo doesn't mean Goob couldn't handle it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

( tongue.gif )

http://www.horror-wood.com/politi5.jpg

"Love to prove that, wouldn't ya? Get your name into the National Geographic."

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2008, 04:20 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

1287.gif

( tongue.gif )

Weak I know, but it's the only decent picture I could find of Murray Hamilton...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2008, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 02:12 PM)

He planted a listening device on him as part of a federal investigation. wink.gif

The question is Goobs how do you know this?

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 04:34 PM)

Weak I know, but it's the only decent picture I could find of Murray Hamilton...

biggrin.gif

I love the later scene in the hospital with Roy and Murray... "Larry, you're the mayor of Shark City! These people think you want to keep the beaches OPEN!"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2008, 05:20 PM)
Rest in peace Roy -

Doctor Benway

wink.gif

1287.gif

( tongue.gif )

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 05:12 PM)

I was on a plane back in '85, flying from Anchorage, AK. to Seattle, Wa. My flight had been cancelled so they had upgraded me to first class on the next one. I wound up sitting across the aisle from Roy Scheider. I kept glancing over and wondering if I should ask for an autograph. I must have looked over one too many times because he noticed that I was looking over and gave me a classic raised-eyebrows 'And just what do you want?' expression. I hesitated for a moment and then I blurted out: 'You were right, you needed a bigger boat.'. He smiled, shook his head, and went back to reading his paper. I left him alone for the rest of the flight.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 11 2008, 04:42 PM)

I was on a plane back in '85, flying from Anchorage, AK. to Seattle, Wa. My flight had been cancelled so they had upgraded me to first class on the next one. I wound up sitting across the aisle from Roy Scheider. I kept glancing over and wondering if I should ask for an autograph. I must have looked over one too many times because he noticed that I was looking over and gave me a classic raised-eyebrows 'And just what do you want?' expression. I hesitated for a moment and then I blurted out: 'You were right, you needed a bigger boat.'. He smiled, shook his head, and went back to reading his paper. I left him alone for the rest of the flight.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2008, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2008, 04:34 PM)

biggrin.gif

I love the later scene in the hospital with Roy and Murray... "Larry, you're the mayor of Shark City! These people think you want to keep the beaches OPEN!"

Aye, that guy and Hal Holbrook are masters at playing stubborn bureaucrat types...

laugh.gif

I bet he was like, 'shit not this again, 10 years of "I think you need a bigger boat..."'

You should have asked for his autograph and said you loved his broadway career...

wink.gif

rofl3.gif

Good one Jack..............