Catch the Fish

rat

Since Rush is Canadian and hockey being a Canadian (originated) sport and hats are thrown onto the ice for hat tricks (3 goals) and there are 3 members in Rush and Geddy's last line in TS sometimes is "catch the fish" why don't we as Rush fans throw fish on stage at the end of TS???? Crazy idea.

QUOTE (rat @ Jan 29 2008, 10:56 AM)
Since Rush is Canadian and hockey being a Canadian (originated) sport and hats are thrown onto the ice for hat tricks (3 goals) and there are 3 members in Rush and Geddy's last line in TS sometimes is "catch the fish" why don't we as Rush fans throw fish on stage at the end of TS???? Crazy idea.

...ok then.

pokey.gif

QUOTE (missionman @ Jan 29 2008, 09:59 PM)
They don't like it very much when fans thro stuff on stage

True, true...

At the Biloxi concert October 26, 1984, someone threw a frisbee and hit Geddy's bass in the middle of Red Barchetta... Geddy called him an "azzhole" and they haven't played Biloxi ever since then...

To quote Les Claypool (from the Woodstock performance)...

"You know, when you throw things up on stage, it is a sign of small and insignificant genitalia." laugh.gif

QUOTE (J0N @ Jan 29 2008, 05:05 PM)
During one show, some of the roadies put a fish on a radio-controlled car and drove it around the stage laugh.gif

Anyone have any more info on that? Can't remember where I read it

I remember reading that. It's apparently from an "A Show Of Fans" article.

QUOTE (A Show of Fans (The article was apparently in issue #5.))
What happened is that the road crew had been torturing Neil for the entire Moving Pictures tour by leaving fish everywhere. Neil would show up for a sound check and there would be a fish on his snare drum. After the show, the band would return to their dressing rooms and there would be a fish in Neil's. There would be fish EVERYWHERE Neil looked. In short, he was being tormented by fish. At the sound check of one of the shows, Neil got fed up and took the fish off his snare drum and threw it away. Little did he know that when he did that, the road crew was telling Alex and Geddy to watch their feet during Tom Sawyer. A few of the roadies had retrieved the discarded fish and slit it open so that it would fit on top of a remote control car they had bought.

When the band was playing Tom Sawyer that night, onto the stage drives this fish. Upon seeing it, Alex and Geddy both cracked up and Neil actually stopped playing to watch this fish go by. Coincidentally, this occurred at the "Catch the spit" portion of the song. From that day on, anytime the band has performed the song, Geddy has said, "Catch the fish".

LINK

So, yeah. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jan 30 2008, 08:18 PM)
During one show, some of the roadies put a fish on a radio-controlled car and drove it around the stage laugh.gif

What happened is that the road crew had been torturing Neil for the entire Moving Pictures tour by leaving fish everywhere. Neil would show up for a sound check and there would be a fish on his snare drum. After the show, the band would return to their dressing rooms and there would be a fish in Neil's. There would be fish EVERYWHERE Neil looked. In short, he was being tormented by fish. At the sound check of one of the shows, Neil got fed up and took the fish off his snare drum and threw it away. Little did he know that when he did that, the road crew was telling Alex and Geddy to watch their feet during Tom Sawyer. A few of the roadies had retrieved the discarded fish and slit it open so that it would fit on top of a remote control car they had bought.

When the band was playing Tom Sawyer that night, onto the stage drives this fish. Upon seeing it, Alex and Geddy both cracked up and Neil actually stopped playing to watch this fish go by. Coincidentally, this occurred at the "Catch the spit" portion of the song. From that day on, anytime the band has performed the song, Geddy has said, "Catch the fish".

LINK

So, yeah. laugh.gif

That is without a doubt the single greatest thing I have ever read.

rofl3.gif

I can also remember at the New Orleans show, either in 1990 or 1992, and the concert was the same night as the Bacchus parade on the Sunday before Mardi Gras, someone threw beads at the guys and Geddy didn't like it at all. I think he even threatened to stop the show if it continued.

If you've ever been hit with beads, not knowing that they are coming at you, you can relate.

oh, and Party Gras '08, ya'll!!!

Aayyeeee!

QUOTE (missionman @ Jan 29 2008, 10:59 PM)

most band's don't.

QUOTE (rat @ Jan 29 2008, 10:56 AM)

Because it would be stupid.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Jan 30 2008, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (missionman @ Jan 29 2008, 09:59 PM)

True, true...

At the Biloxi concert October 26, 1984, someone threw a frisbee and hit Geddy's bass in the middle of Red Barchetta... Geddy called him an "azzhole" and they haven't played Biloxi ever since then...

To quote Les Claypool (from the Woodstock performance)...

"You know, when you throw things up on stage, it is a sign of small and insignificant genitalia." laugh.gif

THAT FRISBEE THROWER PROBABLY GOT A GOOD "DUTCH RUB" AFTERWARDS TOO!!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 31 2008, 06:21 PM)
We could just bring some fish to the shows and wave them in the air during that part in TS...  confused13.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Emotes/shakefish.gif

QUOTE (jukebox @ Jan 31 2008, 10:39 AM)
I can also remember at the New Orleans show, either in 1990 or 1992, and the concert was the same night as the Bacchus parade on the Sunday before Mardi Gras, someone threw beads at the guys and Geddy didn't like it at all. I think he even threatened to stop the show if it continued.

If you've ever been hit with beads, not knowing that they are coming at you, you can relate.

oh, and Party Gras '08, ya'll!!!

Aayyeeee!

I was at that very show! It was February 25, 1990 and I was Front Row Center!!! I even caught the parade as well before the show! trink39.gif

They were definitely getting pummeled by beads...

during Neil's solo, a string of beads landed on one of his cymbals ohmy.gif He let them hang there for about 15 - 20 seconds while still playing, and then ripped them off in disgust... it was interesting to watch his reaction from such close a distance...

QUOTE (rat @ Jan 29 2008, 07:56 AM)

If he doesn't say it your stuck with one smelly Grouper!! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (xx2112xx @ Jan 31 2008, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jan 30 2008, 08:18 PM)

LINK

So, yeah. laugh.gif

That is without a doubt the single greatest thing I have ever read.

rofl3.gif

In addition, I also have this audio clip from MitA's website that has Geddy distinctly saying, "catch a fish" in a performance of Tom Sawyer! laugh.gif

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...-fish-geddy.mp3

Archived