Calling all Discovery Channel Freaks!

ILSnwdog

Survivorman or Man VS Wild?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Survivorman or Man VS Wild?

• Survivorman
    • Man VS Wild

Personally I don't care for Man VS Wild. That Bear dude is too much and a lot of the stuff seems rehearsed. And he is way too over the top at times, like when he was eating the zebra carcass. 062802puke_prv.gif

Survivorman seems so much more believable, plus, Les does all of his own camera work and is really ALONE! IMO his show is much more believable and less contrived.

All due respect to Bear Grylls, but I prefer 'Survivorman'.

As far as Grylls is concerned, I know it's fashionable to bash him for allegedly staying in an hotel when he's on location, but nowhere does he ever say that he's actually out in the wild 100% of the time. Plus, you have to admit the guy is hardcore and tough as old shoe leather, jumping into freezing water to show how to get out of it and whatnot. He deserves a lot of credit for that. His willingness to jump into quicksand, mudholes, and bogs does have me wondering if he has a mud fetish, but I digress. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 10 2008, 04:24 PM)
I agree with everything you wrote. Survivorman all the way!

And apparently, in the past, Les Stroud has worked with Rush.

Really?! How? When? Where? Make with the details, bro! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2008, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 10 2008, 04:24 PM)
I agree with everything you wrote.  Survivorman all the way!

And apparently, in the past, Les Stroud has worked with Rush.

Really?! How? When? Where? Make with the details, bro! biggrin.gif

He was a music video Assistant Director and worked on "The Big Money" video. I have no other details.

As far as Grylls is concerned, I know it's fashionable to bash him for allegedly staying in an hotel when he's on location, but nowhere does he ever say that he's actually out in the wild 100% of the time. Plus, you have to admit the guy is hardcore and tough as old shoe leather, jumping into freezing water to show how to get out of it and whatnot. He deserves a lot of credit for that. His willingness to jump into quicksand, mudholes, and bogs does have me wondering if he has a mud fetish, but I digress. laugh.gif

For the record, I didn't care for Bear before the news broke that he was staying in hotels and having props left for him. I just don't care for his style. I won't question the fact that he has balls, but I just prefer Les Stroud's style. I feel that Bear is trying to impress you when he does his show, and Les just goes about his business and tries to put together a good product.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 10 2008, 05:14 PM)

As far as Grylls is concerned, I know it's fashionable to bash him for allegedly staying in an hotel when he's on location, but nowhere does he ever say that he's actually out in the wild 100% of the time. Plus, you have to admit the guy is hardcore and tough as old shoe leather, jumping into freezing water to show how to get out of it and whatnot. He deserves a lot of credit for that. His willingness to jump into quicksand, mudholes, and bogs does have me wondering if he has a mud fetish, but I digress.  laugh.gif

For the record, I didn't care for Bear before the news broke that he was staying in hotels and having props left for him. I just don't care for his style. I won't question the fact that he has balls, but I just prefer Les Stroud's style. I feel that Bear is trying to impress you when he does his show, and Les just goes about his business and tries to put together a good product.

Good points. You're making me rethink mine. wink.gif He is a big showoff, no argument here.

I wish Les would write a book about survival, that would be awesome.

Survivorman is completely BY HIMSELF while Bear is not. Bear has a camera crew travel with him and gets more extensive local assistance before shooting than Les does. I respect Bear's skills but miltary-type training is not geared for long term survival and living off the land, even Special Forces type training. Bear's series about the French Foreign Legion was pretty cool and I do watch both shows. Les is also pretty funny in a cynical, sarcastic kind of way.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 10 2008, 07:07 PM)
Survivorman is completely BY HIMSELF while Bear is not. Bear has a camera crew travel with him and gets more extensive local assistance before shooting than Les does. I respect Bear's skills but miltary-type training is not geared for long term survival and living off the land, even Special Forces type training. Bear's series about the French Foreign Legion was pretty cool and I do watch both shows. Les is also pretty funny in a cynical, sarcastic kind of way.

SERE (survival, evasion, resistance, and escape) School is part of Army Special Forces training. Next time try a little research. wink.gif

Speaking of, I'm going on a survival trip at the end of February with my Father-in-law who is a former member of both Army Special Forces and Delta Force and also helped to develop the SERE School at Camp Mackall, NC and also was an instructor there for a year. If you guys are interested, I can post about the gear I'm taking and talk more about what we'll be doing.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2008, 07:40 PM)
Survivorman is completely BY HIMSELF while Bear is not.  Bear has a camera crew travel with him and gets more extensive local assistance before shooting than Les does.  I respect Bear's skills but miltary-type training is not geared for long term survival and living off the land, even Special Forces type training.  Bear's series about the French Foreign Legion was pretty cool and I do watch both shows.  Les is also pretty funny in a cynical, sarcastic kind of way.

SERE (survival, evasion, resistance, and escape) School is part of Army Special Forces training. Next time try a little research. wink.gif

Speaking of, I'm going on a survival trip at the end of February with my Father-in-law who is a former member of both Army Special Forces and Delta Force and also helped to develop the SERE School at Camp Mackall, NC and also was an instructor there for a year. If you guys are interested, I can post about the gear I'm taking and talk more about what we'll be doing.

As a former Army Ranger I know a little about this. What I am illustrating is the difference between surviving 2-3 days while waiting to be rescued and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with little chance of being rescued. Les seems to be more schooled in the latter while Bear is most likely more experienced in the former as I am. Next time don't get all worked up.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 10 2008, 09:04 PM)
Survivorman is completely BY HIMSELF while Bear is not.  Bear has a camera crew travel with him and gets more extensive local assistance before shooting than Les does.  I respect Bear's skills but miltary-type training is not geared for long term survival and living off the land, even Special Forces type training.  Bear's series about the French Foreign Legion was pretty cool and I do watch both shows.  Les is also pretty funny in a cynical, sarcastic kind of way.

As a former Army Ranger I know a little about this. What I am illustrating is the difference between surviving 2-3 days while waiting to be rescued and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with little chance of being rescued. Les seems to be more schooled in the latter while Bear is most likely more experienced in the former as I am. Next time don't get all worked up.

Oh I never get worked up, thanks. biggrin.gif

So what you're saying is that Special Forces survival training only equips you to survive for two to three days and not long-term?

By the way, thank you for your service!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 10 2008, 06:07 PM)
Les is also pretty funny in a cynical, sarcastic kind of way.

yes.gif

He has a dry sense of humor. Two of my favorite successful attempts at humor by Les. He was up north somewhere, and he needed some elastic for a trap he was building, so he says something along the lines of "I guess I'll sacrifice my Scooby Doo underwear" as he begins cutting up his Scooby boxers. The other was when he was in Africa and he was showing the gear that he had and he pulls out a huge knife and just like Crocodile Dundee, he says "now this is a knife!" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jan 11 2008, 10:03 AM)
I watch both....I still prefer Bear though. If I was stranded somewhere, I'd rather have him. Les is kind of old and is all 'conservation'-ish, even when he's stuck in the middle of nowhere for a week.

All survival manuals will tell you that in a survival situation it is best to be conservative. You should conserve food, energy, supplies, etc.

I want to recommend this book:

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8170000/8173257.jpg

If you are at all interested in survival, then you should definitely pick it up. It's $16.00 at Barnes & Noble. I've read it four times and learn something new every time. It really is that good.

From the B&N website:

Proven skills and techniques for getting out of any situation alive

In How to Survive Anything, Anywhere, leading survival writer Chris McNab has assembled the know-how of dozens of military and outdoors experts to create the definitive handbook for overcoming perilous situations in any environment, from the mountain wilderness to the urban jungle.

Each tactic is presented in easy-to-follow steps, accompanied by helpful illustrations that teach readers how to:

* Find and construct shelters
    * Sustain life anywhere on land or at sea
    * Hunt, trap, and fish with jerry-rigged tools
    * Build fires or escape them
    * Negotiate arctic, desert, jungle, or mountain terrain
    * Avoid or fend off a wild animal attack
    * Locate underground water
    * Navigate a trackless wilderness
    * And think like a true survivor--even when things are at their worst

The book also offers a complete section on urban survival strategies, including staying safe on public transportation, what to do in terrorist attacks, and how to engage in unarmed combat.

Dr. Chris McNab (United Kingdom) is the author of Endurance Techniques (SAS Training Manual); Elite Forces Survival Guides; How to Pass the SAS Selection Course; Martial Arts for Special Forces; and Urban Survival.

Both of those shows drive me crazy. I like to watch them but at the same time I'm wondering why I'm watching them.

I would never be the host for a show like that. "Oh look, a dead animal. (picks up rotting corpse of racoon and smells it) It's been dead for too long to eat, but these maggots are edible. (picks out white maggots and eats them)"

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 11 2008, 12:06 PM)
Both of those shows drive me crazy. I like to watch them but at the same time I'm wondering why I'm watching them.

I would never be the host for a show like that. "Oh look, a dead animal. (picks up rotting corpse of racoon and smells it) It's been dead for too long to eat, but these maggots are edible. (picks out white maggots and eats them)"

I've eaten maggots and they're pretty horrible. Crickets, on the other hand, are rather tasty.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2008, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 10 2008, 09:04 PM)

Oh I never get worked up, thanks. biggrin.gif

So what you're saying is that Special Forces survival training only equips you to survive for two to three days and not long-term?

By the way, thank you for your service!

I'm starting to think that you're yanking my chain Dave but I'll give it another go. In my experience, our survival training was geared towards completing the mission and all that this entails. Lives, expensive equipment, etc... all are expendable and are a cost of completing the mission being undertaken. Even though, at times, SF and Rangers (Merrill's Marauders in Burma, for example) have spent a great deal of time behind enemy lines and did not regularly receive supplies it is a detriment to the mission for soldiers to spend time foraging for food. So, in my case, we trained with the assumption that we would receive regular supplies and focused on the military aspects of the training. Having said that, we did work on skills that would allow survival in the case of the temporary need to work without resupply. Of course, even the focus here was on marching our asses out of trouble just as fast as we could so we could focus on the mission and not memorizing all of the various edible plants through out the world. This resulted in some very interesting 100 mile road marches. If you think back to some of Les' shows (other than his constant fidgeting with the cameras) he is constantly scrounging for food, water, and safe places to spend the night with little time for anything else. To me this is what I call real survival, Gilligan's Island style, which seems to be Les' focus.